Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Help us Save Middlewood Way  (Read 12554 times)

Dave

Re: Help us Save Middlewood Way
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »
The original decision to split the paths was sensible but wrongly interpreted.  Horses can be unpredictable animals, liable to be “spooked” at any moment.  The split should have been one track for horses and the other for pedestrians and cyclists, and as the pedestrians and cyclists are the majority users the greatest proportion should be given to them. 

I can't why there is any need to do this. It isn't done on the majority of our bridleways and byways, and it should not be necessary on the Mddlewood Way.  As CTREP himself says: 
we all need to learn how to live together. 

Absolutely right.  And it's the cyclists who have the most to learn, in my long experience walking my dog on the tracks around Marple, Mellor and Strines.   Horse riders and walkers generally get on fine - we watch out for each other, and I always put my dog on a short  lead if I see a nervous-looking horse.  The only problem is those cyclists who think it's OK to ride too fast past walkers and horse riders. This is a particular issue on the canal towpaths, where some cyclists hurtle towards you at a breakneck speed and expect you to flatten yourself (and your dog!) against the hedge, to allow them to shoot past.

amazon

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 07:51:21 PM »
The original decision to split the paths was sensible but wrongly interpreted.  Horses can be unpredictable animals, liable to be “spooked” at any moment.  The split should have been one track for horses and the other for pedestrians and cyclists, and as the pedestrians and cyclists are the majority users the greatest proportion should be given to them.   This is the case on the Longdendale trail for example.

I recognise that there is still a bit of a conflict between some cyclists and pedestrians but in reality this is  because  we all need to learn how to live together.  Catering for cyclists has been ignored for so long now that many cyclists assume that as society doesn’t recognise their existence then why should they abide by society’s wishes, and can you blame them.  The Government is encouraging more people to cycle and the Middlewood Way is an obvious commuter route for cyclists, as well as a useful training ground for parents to teach their children to cycle and how to behave when other people are about.  With more people being able to use the Middlewood Way eventually a code of conduct for everyone will develop for the benefit of all.

In reply to Badgers comment about the funding of the renovation to the footpath by Windybottom Farm. I am aware that it was funded from a pot set aside to deal with Flood Problems, but I do question the Council’s sense of Priorities.  The path is relatively little used when compared to Etherow Country Park which is rapidly becoming derelict -  one part is no longer accessible due to Flood Damage.  I suppose we now need a Save Our Etherow Park campaign.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gax05nzg64oeeu5/Etherow%20web%202.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pnddnh0pvr9xie/Etherow%20web%201.jpg?dl=0
Could not agree with you more its becoming a no walk zone .

CTCREP

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 04:49:50 PM »
The original decision to split the paths was sensible but wrongly interpreted.  Horses can be unpredictable animals, liable to be “spooked” at any moment.  The split should have been one track for horses and the other for pedestrians and cyclists, and as the pedestrians and cyclists are the majority users the greatest proportion should be given to them.   This is the case on the Longdendale trail for example.

I recognise that there is still a bit of a conflict between some cyclists and pedestrians but in reality this is  because  we all need to learn how to live together.  Catering for cyclists has been ignored for so long now that many cyclists assume that as society doesn’t recognise their existence then why should they abide by society’s wishes, and can you blame them.  The Government is encouraging more people to cycle and the Middlewood Way is an obvious commuter route for cyclists, as well as a useful training ground for parents to teach their children to cycle and how to behave when other people are about.  With more people being able to use the Middlewood Way eventually a code of conduct for everyone will develop for the benefit of all.

In reply to Badgers comment about the funding of the renovation to the footpath by Windybottom Farm. I am aware that it was funded from a pot set aside to deal with Flood Problems, but I do question the Council’s sense of Priorities.  The path is relatively little used when compared to Etherow Country Park which is rapidly becoming derelict -  one part is no longer accessible due to Flood Damage.  I suppose we now need a Save Our Etherow Park campaign.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gax05nzg64oeeu5/Etherow%20web%202.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3pnddnh0pvr9xie/Etherow%20web%201.jpg?dl=0

Lily

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2018, 12:18:44 AM »
Thanks for the photo’s, rsh, showing some of the progress on the Middlewood Way.
As you mentioned, it would have been helpful if the council had put up warning or information signs about the work going on. It would have saved a lot of confusion (especially for me!).

rsh

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 11:39:42 PM »
Had a look today out of curiosity and as Lily says they are indeed scraping the top layer back ready for resurfacing. It actually looks better already, very wide although obviously very bumpy so definitely avoid cycling it on anything other than a mountain bike for the next 8 weeks. That’s if it remains open throughout all the works?

Stockport MBC haven’t yet even put notices up about what’s going on, let alone given advance warning, so I’m sure a lot of people have been confused.

Remembering the split in paths, you can still see where the separate footpath used to be at the farm gate nearest Torkington Road with two overgrown stiles leading into some brambles. Unless you have room for two wide paths, a single wider path works much better though, giving more room for people to actually pass.

badger

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 08:19:10 PM »
Just to be clear the Byway/ Bridalway through to Strines resurfacing was the result of flooding last year and after new drains were installed, the funding for the surface was from a 'Flood Deffence Pot' to repair the footpath put by for that reason only.

CTCREP

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 04:34:32 PM »
Some of you may have seen the following photo in the Otterspool Rd item.

If the surface of the Middlewood Way was as good as the section of Bridleway near Windybottom Farm I am sure most of us would be satisfied,  Although some may consider the present “natural” condition is quite satisfactory, the Middlewood Way is such an asset to the area that we, or should I say the Council, need to think more widely.

At one time Marple was a weekend retreat for the people of Manchester, and it should be again.  Today we should be encouraging people to visit Marple in order to keep some of our businesses alive.  The Middlewood Way is obviously an easy access route into the countryside for ordinary people, those with young children and pushchairs for example, and another forgotten group - those having to use mobility scooters. What a wonderful way to get a change of scenery by travelling out from Rosehill into the countryside. Of course at present it is almost impossible, but the recent upgrading of the Bridleway by Windybottom Farm shows it would be possible if the Council will only recognise the benefits that could come to Marple by making the Middlewood Way a truly Multi-User route..

Lily

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 12:13:25 PM »
After my post, earlier today, I thought I would quickly walk down to The Middlewood Way and take a few photographs of the damage done by the dumper truck.
It appears that I was a bit hasty in my assumption that the truck was using the trail without permission.
This morning they were busy scraping off the top layer of mud (taking up the damage previously caused by the dumper truck).
I must admit, when I read in an earlier post that they were repairing a stretch beyond the previously repaired section I assumed it was from the Torkington Lane junction (after all, that is where they did it to last time) - it only said ‘to hopefully Woodville Drive’.
Apologies for jumping in feet first!
Lily

Lily

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 10:50:13 AM »
CllrGeoffAbell,
When I saw your name against this thread I thought, wrongly, that you were responding to my comments from yesterday.
I do remember when the Middlewood Way was segregated - now well overgrown.
However, you say it is now a ‘bit more mixed and messy’.
The messy that I am referring to is not caused by cyclists and horse riders (or animals leaving deposits) but by a large dumper truck with large tyres driving up and down the trail (as witnessed by me yesterday).
The deep rutted mess started from roughly where the landfill site starts (somewhere near the rugby club) beyond where you can get on at Torkington Road.
My question was, have they got permission to drive along the Middlewood Way churning it up so that it is almost impassible by all users!!!
If they haven’t, then who should ‘police it’, and who should put it back to the condition it was in prior to the dumper truck using it?
Everyone should be ‘respectful’ - not just cyclists
What did you mean by your comment ‘I am trying to get more’?
Like Marple Rambler I walk and cycle, have a bell, and respect all users of shared paths.
Thank you.
Lily.

CllrGeoffAbell

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
The MW is a bridleway and if people's memories stretch that far back when David Bellamy opened it, horses/bikes and walkers were segregated, which created narrowness in places.  Now it's a bit more mixed and messy.  The "Middle Wood" of the MW has improved drainage - that was the worst bit - but it can still be improved and I believe there are plans from our officers.  That photo shows a bit that always has midges in summer so there must be quite a bit of water.

@marplerambler - cycles are a good thing and this is one of the few segregated cycle ways.  (It's multi use.)   I am trying to get more. But cycles should be respectful. 

Also I trust now that Kenny has moved out of his Marple house by the MW, he won't forget us!

Lily

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 04:58:43 PM »
I have just been along the Middlewood Way, today, and - WHAT A DISGRACE!!
I got on at the bend on Torkington Road and on reaching the trail was met with a double track of churned up mud.
Heading towards Marple from here (having to keep to the middle metre of the trail due to the vast amount of mud) I met a man in a large dumper truck. I had to move to the side while he passed me (he did thank me) but once out of the way he set off at quite a speed towards the High Lane direction churning up the sides of the path with his large chunky tyres.
Moving on a little further towards Marple you could see that he had come off the land which, I think, is where the landfill site is.  If it is someone from the landfill site, have they got permission to drive along the Middlewood Way?
As the council resurfaced this section some years ago (although it does now get rather muddy) it would be interesting to know who should put it right now that the dumper truck has churned it up!!!

rsh

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 11:42:11 AM »
Good news: works should start THIS MONTH on Middlewood Way to improve the section north of the A6.

From Save Middlewood Way Facebook page:

**** BIG NEWS ****
Well.... We have finally done what we intended to do. I think we might possibly of saved Middlewood Way from all the years of mud and sludge. The team behind 'Save Middlewood Way' campaigned to renovate and bring our much loved path back in to a useable state. This has taken many years and we can not stress the amount of time, energy and commitment of help we have had from Cllr Kenny Blair. Without his persistent pressure, dedication and passion for our rural multiuser path at council meetings we are not sure this would of been possible. We look forward in doing more projects with him in High Lane.
So what is the big plan??
As most will know collectively we raised enough funds to resurface the section between Middlewood Station to the foot bridge prior to the A6. Although muddy, this was not the only section requiring attention.
Further campaigning with bits of additional funding have now added up to allow us to continue with the plan. Therefore......
Starting THIS month Stockport Council will commence in the following:
1) Creating a clear pathway to a minimum width of 3,5 mtrs suitable for all users
2) Removal of vegetation i.e. branch trimming, crown lifting and clearing of undergrowth etc
3) Re-establishing working drainage ditches, filling potholes and scraping away debris to leave a clear surface
4) resurfacing some of the pathway with recycled Ultitrec surfacing.
5) Change of gateway systems along the route to prevent obstruction / narrowing.
This extension will be approx 2km from the end of the previously repaired section at the footbridge south of the A6 to hopefully Woodville Drive.
It is estimated the work will commence until approx. April /May
Once complete we will be monitoring the situation and if need be continuing with our campaign to retain and repair any section of Middlewood Way on the Stockport side.

rsh

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 09:37:13 AM »
Tarmac will do nothing but turn the Middlewood Way into a cycle lane providing the fastest possible route from Marple to Macclesfield but this is not the purpose of the MW! The MW is not a commuter route - it is a route for the leisurely enjoyment of the countryside. If the cyclist wants rapid transit from Macclesfield/High Lane to Marple he should use the road which is designed for high speed cyclists!
Again, there's NO suggestion that this campaign wants to see the route tarmaced. It's purely about providing a wide and mud-free path. The section already improved is the example:

Some parts of the Stockport side are quite narrow, if they were widened out like this it would help all users pass each other without conflict as well as reducing wear across the width of the path.

Personally I see no reason why Middlewood shouldn't be (and I'm sure already is used as) a commuting route. The A6MARR nearby will only increase that. If I need to head over that way from Marple I certainly prefer cycling it than Windlehurst, Torkington, the A6, etc... Surely with all our other escape routes clogged up by cars, that's only to be encouraged.  :)

nbt

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2016, 12:33:14 PM »
Why is the MW not a commuter route?
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

marplerambler

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 09:47:31 AM »
Why do walkers always insist that a bell is the magic answer to everything?
Because it is! I both cycle and walk the Middewood Way, I am always only too happy to stand to one side to let the cyclist pass when he rings his bell but unlike a car, the cycle is silent. I am not telepathic nor do I have eyes in the back of my head.

If I am cycling and I ring my bell, it is nearly always heard by walkers. If the walker doesn't react that means that (a) his hearing isn't perfect/ he is wearing earphones/ his mind is on other things and (b) that I slow down to walking pace to pass without causing any surprise or injury. The Middlewood Way is not a bike or horse race track. I thank the walker if he steps aside, I slow to walking pace if he doesn't. Tarmac will do nothing but turn the Middlewood Way into a cycle lane providing the fastest possible route from Marple to Macclesfield but this is not the purpose of the MW! The MW is not a commuter route - it is a route for the leisurely enjoyment of the countryside. If the cyclist wants rapid transit from Macclesfield/High Lane to Marple he should use the road which is designed for high speed cyclists!