Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Help us Save Middlewood Way  (Read 12555 times)

nipper14

Re: Help us Save Middlewood Way
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2016, 11:30:21 AM »
I agree with the comment about some people walking along the Middlewood Way in their own little bubble. On a few occasions I have seen people with earphones while at the same time tapping away on their mobile phones, whilst their dog is left to its own devices. I prefer to leave my phone at home and just enjoy the countryside. I try to keep aware of other users of the path, I always keep my dog on a lead,and always step to one side to let cyclists and horse riders past, which is usually (but not always) appreciated. Politeness and respect to each other doesn't take much effort, and helps to brighten the day.

rsh

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 08:53:04 PM »
Why do walkers always insist that a bell is the magic answer to everything? I have a bell on my bike but it's rarely heard by walkers, most seem to be in a world of their own while their dogs run free. I end up calling out a polite "ting ting" only to see  the walker leap into the air as though someone has just fired a starting pistol next to them. Is it too much to ask that people should maintain a little awareness of the world outside their own little bubble?

It's a shared use path, and respect goes both ways. You should be aware that people on bikes  - and people on foot perhaps - will be on the trail and not necessarily be visible in front of you, they may be behind you and moving faster than you are. I'm sorry to hear though that some cyclists have been rude and hit you, that's inexcusable. It's sadly inevitable that given the amount of idiots in this world, some of them will be riding bikes
I couldn't have put it better!

Middlewood does actually seem to be one of the best routes for interaction between users though, I suppose many use it every day and so know to keep an ear open for cyclists' bells. But it is still frustrating to often encounter people walking right in the middle of the path, with headphones in, or with their dogs cross-crossing all over the place out of control off-lead... And then be surprised that a cyclist is coming up behind, using a cycle route!

Anyway, I thoroughly applaud any campaign to bring the standard of the Stockport section up. Cheshire East make it look easy with seemingly a rolling annual programme of resurfacing (although they're still not perfect either).

Kenny, it seems like a lot of the responses thus far have been people saying they don't want a Tarmac surface for their horses. I very much doubt you are even suggesting this, so maybe clarify what surfacing you're actually aiming for to cut out that noise and get everyone on side to just focus on doing the job.

At the same time, as much as the section between Torkington and the A6 (or the next bridge beyond it) could do with a full-scale rebuild like the section near Middlewood station, I would also like to see some focus on a few initial "easy wins" such as filling in the big grooves which form in between the farm crossing gate posts, forcing people to walk or cycle through a deep puddle. These are so minor they could be done by a volunteer group (I'd volunteer!) with a few bags of ballast, but would make a big impact. They're the only puddles you absolutely can't avoid, almost year-round.

I have to also add, I'm astonished that the SEMMMS mitigation money only went so far to cover that tiny stretch between Middlewood station and the first bridge - what use is that if it doesn't even reach the A6! And don't get me started on why no-one, not the road planners nor local councillors, has seen sense to push for Middlewood to be directly connected to the new cycle lane which will run the full length of the A6MARR. All it would take is a short stretch of cycle lanes either side of the A6 down to the new bus bridge connection, and suddenly you connect Marple to a vaste swathe of south Manchester by easy cycling...

CllrKennyBlair

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 08:16:49 PM »
Hi Kenny,

I don’t disagree with the campaign – quite the opposite, I’d like to see all green space properly looked after by trained and remunerated council employees funded by corporations and individuals paying their taxes. I object to the ‘campaign’ being politicised by a group that advocated significant local cuts without acknowledging their complicity in the initial funding reductions.

The danger with using such emotive language is that, and the same is true for the Lib Dem ‘Save Stepping Hill’ is that once people realise the track won’t be closed the immediacy of the problem is lost and people fail to act. (Perhaps why the original campaign stalled) By engaging in token ‘clictivism’ people sigh a petition and expect the problem to be resolved for them, in fact it is going to take much more than that including political will when it comes to raising the money rather than just diverting it from another cause.

The mud is part of the attraction for me and my family, the renovations I mentioned were done early late 2010 / 2011 if memory serves me, the tarmac piece which runs behind Woodville and then a compact cinder surface went up to the junction with Torkinton Rd/ Threphurst Lane.

As Condate has mentioned, the best thing to do is to double the width and that would have the effect of reducing the traffic per linear metre in half which would preserve the surface, cutting back the trees and allowing sunlight through will keep it drier.

Whilst searching for something on the forum I came across the quote below:

I believe his is now Cllr Johnstone [CON]

Hi Andy,

thanks for the response. I am glad you agree with the campaign and hope you have signed the petition accordingly. As I said, I am sure we have different views on the necessity of the cuts and who is to blame. That does not mean I will sit on my hands and do nothing for the people of Marple South ward to get any investment that is available. As I said, the Lib Dem Exec had £670,000 in reserve for Public Realm which no one knew what it was earmarked for or who could use it. It had been there for a number of years and growing. They also increased reserves by £50m at the same time as suffering £50m of cuts. How can this be? They invested £2.1m in cycle paths and walking paths in Cheadle Hulme. Should we not fight for some of the funding or is a Conservative Councillor not allowed to do so because the Government are trying to balance the books that were left in a mess by the previous Labour Government?

On your suggestion of cutting back the trees, this has already happened on some parts of the Middlewood Way and as I said there is now a Maintenance plan in place. The mud may also be an attraction for you, but it isn't for everyone including the disabled and people with buggies. The point is to get the surface to a standard that is useable by everyone but still maintains that country track feel. I believe the Cheshire East side and renovations from Middlewood Station achieve this and this is what I am campaigning to happen on the rest of the Middlewood Way. I sincerely believe the wording used, because it did need saving because if it isn't used it will be lost.
As for the comments from Cllr Johnstone, I agree. I don't like politicians claiming success for things they haven't done. I won't claim credit for anything I have not been directly involved with or had an impact on. I have had experience of it from the local lib Dems claiming credit for things I have worked on that they were nowhere near. I am sure other Cllrs from other parties and indeed from my party will likely do the same, but I do not control their behaviour, I can only control mine.

corium

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2016, 04:45:43 PM »
Is it too much to ask that people should maintain a little awareness of the world outside their own little bubble?

Not at all - that's why cyclists who are not equipped with a bell, let alone use it, should be fined on the spot. The vast majority I see don't have one.

nbt

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2016, 12:58:10 PM »
Why do walkers always insist that a bell is the magic answer to everything? I have a bell on my bike but it's rarely heard by walkers, most seem to be in a world of their own while their dogs run free. I end up calling out a polite "ting ting" only to see  the walker leap into the air as though someone has just fired a starting pistol next to them. Is it too much to ask that people should maintain a little awareness of the world outside their own little bubble?

It's a shared use path, and respect goes both ways. You should be aware that people on bikes  - and people on foot perhaps - will be on the trail and not necessarily be visible in front of you, they may be behind you and moving faster than you are. I'm sorry to hear though that some cyclists have been rude and hit you, that's inexcusable. It's sadly inevitable that given the amount of idiots in this world, some of them will be riding bikes
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

nipper14

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »
The mud doesn't bother me. It's no problem just to wash the mud off my boots, or shower the dog when I get home. What I do find annoying is the cyclists who ride up quietly behind you and take you by surprise when they speed past you. I've been hit a couple of times at the same time receiving abuse as if I have no right to be walking there. Is it too much to ask them to buy a bell?

andy+kirsty

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 03:30:34 PM »
Hi Kenny,

I don’t disagree with the campaign – quite the opposite, I’d like to see all green space properly looked after by trained and remunerated council employees funded by corporations and individuals paying their taxes. I object to the ‘campaign’ being politicised by a group that advocated significant local cuts without acknowledging their complicity in the initial funding reductions.

The danger with using such emotive language is that, and the same is true for the Lib Dem ‘Save Stepping Hill’ is that once people realise the track won’t be closed the immediacy of the problem is lost and people fail to act. (Perhaps why the original campaign stalled) By engaging in token ‘clictivism’ people sigh a petition and expect the problem to be resolved for them, in fact it is going to take much more than that including political will when it comes to raising the money rather than just diverting it from another cause.

The mud is part of the attraction for me and my family, the renovations I mentioned were done early late 2010 / 2011 if memory serves me, the tarmac piece which runs behind Woodville and then a compact cinder surface went up to the junction with Torkinton Rd/ Threphurst Lane.

As Condate has mentioned, the best thing to do is to double the width and that would have the effect of reducing the traffic per linear metre in half which would preserve the surface, cutting back the trees and allowing sunlight through will keep it drier.

Whilst searching for something on the forum I came across the quote below:

I must say I do agree with the comments about some of the sceptical claims by local Councillors as per their achievements. This business about them successfully campaigning for work to be done along the Middlewood Way doesn't quite add up. It really gets to me when politicians jump on band-wagons or play politics with public services but I am sure it is not just the Liberal Democrats who do so.

I believe his is now Cllr Johnstone [CON]

CllrKennyBlair

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 08:20:23 PM »
Hi Kenny,

I was going to post about this too, as a regular MWW user and someone who lives within sight of it.

There are a couple of points I have issue with - firstly by stating that we must 'save' middlewood way it is somehow going to be taken from us, this isn't the case. Secondly, perhaps 4 or 5 years ago a large section of the path was resurfaced along with the section between the rugby club and golf club. To suggest that no money has been spent since the late 80's isn't accurate. I do agree that the surface could be better, however a one off injection of cash isn't the answer, it needs maintaining and it is this lack of maintenance which has resulted in its current poor state. As an example, did you know there was once a lovely picnic area at the end of the second rugby field? It is now overgrown, chopping it back may make it usable for a month or two but it will need to feature on the councils work plan to keep it usable. (Where are the Big Society when you need them eh?)

Is the irony lost on our Councillors that they represent a party that has presided over some of the largest ever cuts seen to local authority budgets which has left councils struggling to fulfill their statutory duties around elderly care and SEN Education and are yet lobbying their own council to spend more on green space and lamenting the reduced amount of money the LA has to spend on such things.

That said, credit where it is due, if it wasn't for your party we wouldn't have the Middlewood way in the first place. (We would have a direct trainline to Macclesfield and a rail link into Stockport.)

Thanks for the response Andy, I also live right on it.There are a couple of issues I take with your post. The campaign was named 'Save Middlewood Way' for two reasons. One, this campaign was started with local residents, some time ago who named it Save Middlewood Way. Second, if the Way is unusable half of the year or it is not maintained properly we will lose it. To some people it is already lost because they cannot use it.
The part you mention was re-surfaced and my understanding is that it was paid for by money from the Morris Homes housing development there.
There is a plan for the upgrade and for regular maintenance but we need that initial injection of cash to get it up to a usable standard all year round and then to be maintained accordingly.
While you may think it ironic, it is my job to campaign on behalf of local residents. That is why I was elected. Yes, there have been cuts made and I am sure we have differing views on how these have been done or why these have been necessary but you have to question why SMBC had $670k of public money in reserve to spend on the Public Realm but had not spent it. In addition, according to the media, the Council budget has been cut by approx $50m since 2010. The Council reserves have increased from £20m to £70m in that period.
The Council spent money on creating a new cycle path in Cheadle that nobody, not even the cyclists wanted because it was on road. The Council want people to be more active, and if you read what I said in the Health & Wellbeing Scrutiny Committee last year, encouraging people to be more active now will reduce the strain on the NHS in the future. Being proactive instead of reactive.
I am sorry you disagree with the campaign and can't see beyond the politics but many people do agree with the campaign and want this greenspace to be usable all year round.

mikes

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 10:33:38 PM »
better still bring back the railway line and let us have a decent train service.  There are plenty of other places one can walk should the desire take you.

Condate

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »
What would ruin the Middlewood Way is to have large parts of it turned into a solid hard surface. The whole point is places like this is to provide walking on natural surfaces which does mean a lot of mud at times, but that's part of the attraction. I'd have no objection to part of the width being sanitised, but please leave the normal surface for at least half the width.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 04:23:54 PM »
Hi Kenny,

I was going to post about this too, as a regular MWW user and someone who lives within sight of it.

There are a couple of points I have issue with - firstly by stating that we must 'save' middlewood way it is somehow going to be taken from us, this isn't the case. Secondly, perhaps 4 or 5 years ago a large section of the path was resurfaced along with the section between the rugby club and golf club. To suggest that no money has been spent since the late 80's isn't accurate. I do agree that the surface could be better, however a one off injection of cash isn't the answer, it needs maintaining and it is this lack of maintenance which has resulted in its current poor state. As an example, did you know there was once a lovely picnic area at the end of the second rugby field? It is now overgrown, chopping it back may make it usable for a month or two but it will need to feature on the councils work plan to keep it usable. (Where are the Big Society when you need them eh?)

Is the irony lost on our Councillors that they represent a party that has presided over some of the largest ever cuts seen to local authority budgets which has left councils struggling to fulfill their statutory duties around elderly care and SEN Education and are yet lobbying their own council to spend more on green space and lamenting the reduced amount of money the LA has to spend on such things.

That said, credit where it is due, if it wasn't for your party we wouldn't have the Middlewood way in the first place. (We would have a direct trainline to Macclesfield and a rail link into Stockport.)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:52:12 AM »
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

CllrKennyBlair

Help us Save Middlewood Way
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:08:11 PM »
We have launched a campaign to Save Middlewood Way. Further details can be found on www.hgconservatives.com/campaigns where you can also sign the petition to support the campaign.