Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Parking in Marple Bridge and at Marple Station  (Read 18615 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Parking in Marple Bridge and at Marple Station
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 06:00:58 PM »
It doesn't effect me personally as currently and  fortunately I am able to walk from and to either of Marple's two stations. It is a 'free country' as Dave says and people can choose whatever method there is to convey themselves to the station/s. I agree with this but if others have taken all the parking spaces when you get there, then they are free to do that as well.

The only other point I would make is that last year early in the morning I drove over from New Mills to Marple. I was in the middle of a snake of about 15 cars and when I arrived at Marple Bridge almost all of them turned into Brabyns car park. I didn't stop to look but I think many of them were catching the train. Now that car park is managed by Stockport MBC. New Mills isn't in the borough, it isn't even in the same county. Residents of New Mills Make make no contribution to that car park at all. If the same situation existed in a Stockport street the Council would devise a resident's permit scheme. So why can't we have a similar scheme for the car park where for a nominal annual charge (used to administer the scheme) you get a car park permit providing you can demonstrate that you either live in Marple or work in Marple Bridge? If you haven't got a permit in your window - you have to pay to park - or you get the attention of the traffic warden.         

Harry

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 02:17:09 PM »
Maybe some of them will, but many others will rediscover that they can drive into Manchester more cheaply, and will do exactly that, thereby  adding to our already chronic traffic congestion. The whole point of park-and-ride is to get traffic off the roads and reduce carbon emissions.  if you charge for parking you simply introduce a disincentive to travel by train.

Whenever you take a car off your property you should be prepared to pay to park it somewhere.

When I worked in the centre of Manchester, many years ago, it used to take me up to an hour to drive in, the same to return, and cost me £10 a day to park. I often needed my car because I had to visit customers. On the days that I didn't need the car, I would get the train. Nobody in their right mind would attempt to drive in unless they had to.

The incentive to travel by train is the reduced time, stress and cost.

Dave

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 01:50:05 PM »
There is a very simple solution to the parking problems at the station.   

Just charge for parking. Say £5, or even £10, for the day, with no charge for disabled users. People would soon rediscover that their legs do work, even in the rain.

Maybe some of them will, but many others will rediscover that they can drive into Manchester more cheaply, and will do exactly that, thereby  adding to our already chronic traffic congestion. The whole point of park-and-ride is to get traffic off the roads and reduce carbon emissions.  if you charge for parking you simply introduce a disincentive to travel by train.   

corium

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 01:39:51 PM »

Just charge for parking. Say £5, or even £10, for the day, with no charge for disabled users. People would soon rediscover that their legs do work, even in the rain. Anyone needing to carry a heavy bag could get a lift or a taxi, it would be cheaper than parking.

Why should anyone think they can have exclusive use of about 6 sq metres of land for the day at no charge?

This is how it works at all the stations I have used in the south east, where the majority of people either walk or get a lift to the station.

The answer is to look at Dale road this week which is full of cars. The stations in the South East will all be surrounded by double yellow lines for some significant distance beyond the station or have restrictions which make it impossible to park all day. Unless this is done here you will simply shift the problem a couple of hundred yards

Harry

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 01:17:13 PM »

Just charge for parking. Say £5, or even £10, for the day, with no charge for disabled users. People would soon rediscover that their legs do work, even in the rain. Anyone needing to carry a heavy bag could get a lift or a taxi, it would be cheaper than parking.

Why should anyone think they can have exclusive use of about 6 sq metres of land for the day at no charge?

This is how it works at all the stations I have used in the south east, where the majority of people either walk or get a lift to the station.

Dave

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 09:17:11 AM »
So what is your long term solution to the problem Dave.

A proper park-and-ride car park, similar to what they have at Hazel Grove.  There is plenty of space at the back of the Purple Pakora.

All the stuff about 'people should walk to the station' and 'people should be prevented from coming across the Derbyshire boundary' (how?), is just whistling in the dark.  It's a free country, thank goodness! People who live a mile or more from the station (and most of us do) will drive.  If we can't park, we'll drive into Manchester and make the roads even more congested and cause even more environmental damage than we do already. 

As for this: 
I don't have a great deal of sympathy for any car owner (other than someone with limited mobility or a disability) who lives within a mile of the station: they can walk or get a 383/384, 375 or 394

.... yes, that's a reasonable point for anyone liveng on or near the 383/384 route, because it's a frequent and fairly reliable service.    But as far as the 375 or 394 are concerned - forget it.  Those buses are so infrequent and also unreliable in timekeeping, that trying to get a train/bus connection with either of those bus routes is doomed to fail - I know, I've tried often enough! 

JMC

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2016, 12:25:33 AM »
A factor not mentioned in this brief summary (though mentioned frequently in the report) is the large number of cars belonging to drivers from Derbyshire who park at Marple to take advantage of the considerably cheaper train fares within Greater Manchester. The problem will become considerably worse when the Conservatives attempt to destroy public transport in Derbyshire by withdrawing public transport subsidies later this year (and with local elections coming up in Marple remember that the Conservatives would do just the same in Stockport if they were to gain a majority: don't believe a word about Conservative support for the 394 - when I called at William Wragg's office a few weeks ago I had to explain to the staff that the 394 was a bus service to Stepping Hill and Glossop which passed the MP's surgery door but they did not have the slightest knowledge of its existence so hardly cared about its continuation and the only place that they could manage to find a photograph of the bus for the Conservative website was from the site of the Labour Councillor for Gamesley, it beggars belief that the staff were unaware that there is a timetable on the bus shelter next door to or opposite to William Wragg's office in Marple which would have told them that a photograph of the bus in Marple was available at 01 minute past or 08 minutes past the hour). One solution could be £10 pay and display for four hours on the station car parks/Longhurst Lane/Lower Fold but permits enabling free parking for Greater Manchester residents. My feeling is that roadside parking on Lower Fold and Longhurst Lane from Clement Road to Marple Bridge should be residents only if there is not currently a parking prohibition.

I don't have a great deal of sympathy for any car owner (other than someone with limited mobility or a disability) who lives within a mile of the station: they can walk or get a 383/384, 375 or 394 (still there just about). One thing everyone seems to be forgetting is that the traffic chaos is one of the very things deterring the construction of a lot more residential properties on the green spaces at the rear of Clement Road or higher up Longhurst Lane. Traffic problems are a major factor prohibiting applications for planning permission for construction of more houses on the green spaces in Mellor. Solve the traffic problems in Marple Bridge in 2016 more planning applications will be approved and by 2020 the problem will have re-appeared in the form of  even more cars. Ironically the traffic problems are preventing the population of Marple from exploding. There is not a person in Stockport who would not want to live here: if commuting by car becomes easier this would be a death warrant for the area so strange as it may seem, the congestion is protecting the value of your house.

Good points re the Conservatives and 394. Tom Dowse (Marple candidate) was claiming credit for Wragg for saving 394 on the leaflet put through my door the other day.

ringi

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 10:55:48 PM »
Why can't the stops employ people that live close enough not to drive, hence fee up parking spaces of their customers?

marplerambler

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 09:35:08 PM »

The report spares no detail - it's a very long read - but in summary, it makes four broad proposals: 

1.   Give permits to business owners and their staff (subject to some controls) for use anywhere except Town Street
2.   Brabyns Brow to have more short stay (e.g. +15) and less long stay than currently, and two out of the 5 Disabled Bays to be delimited to short stay
3.   Lobby Transport for Greater Manchester to add more spaces to the Purple Pakora Car Park (estimate 15 can be created)
4.   Pay and Display on Longhurst Lane and Lower Fold to have a very high fee for longer term than 4 hours e.g. £10

A factor not mentioned in this brief summary (though mentioned frequently in the report) is the large number of cars belonging to drivers from Derbyshire who park at Marple to take advantage of the considerably cheaper train fares within Greater Manchester. The problem will become considerably worse when the Conservatives attempt to destroy public transport in Derbyshire by withdrawing public transport subsidies later this year (and with local elections coming up in Marple remember that the Conservatives would do just the same in Stockport if they were to gain a majority: don't believe a word about Conservative support for the 394 - when I called at William Wragg's office a few weeks ago I had to explain to the staff that the 394 was a bus service to Stepping Hill and Glossop which passed the MP's surgery door but they did not have the slightest knowledge of its existence so hardly cared about its continuation and the only place that they could manage to find a photograph of the bus for the Conservative website was from the site of the Labour Councillor for Gamesley, it beggars belief that the staff were unaware that there is a timetable on the bus shelter next door to or opposite to William Wragg's office in Marple which would have told them that a photograph of the bus in Marple was available at 01 minute past or 08 minutes past the hour). One solution could be £10 pay and display for four hours on the station car parks/Longhurst Lane/Lower Fold but permits enabling free parking for Greater Manchester residents. My feeling is that roadside parking on Lower Fold and Longhurst Lane from Clement Road to Marple Bridge should be residents only if there is not currently a parking prohibition.

I don't have a great deal of sympathy for any car owner (other than someone with limited mobility or a disability) who lives within a mile of the station: they can walk or get a 383/384, 375 or 394 (still there just about). One thing everyone seems to be forgetting is that the traffic chaos is one of the very things deterring the construction of a lot more residential properties on the green spaces at the rear of Clement Road or higher up Longhurst Lane. Traffic problems are a major factor prohibiting applications for planning permission for construction of more houses on the green spaces in Mellor. Solve the traffic problems in Marple Bridge in 2016 more planning applications will be approved and by 2020 the problem will have re-appeared in the form of  even more cars. Ironically the traffic problems are preventing the population of Marple from exploding. There is not a person in Stockport who would not want to live here: if commuting by car becomes easier this would be a death warrant for the area so strange as it may seem, the congestion is protecting the value of your house.

amazon

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 09:18:13 PM »
Members of this forum may be aware that our local LibDem councillors have been looking into the parking problems in Marple Bridge and at Marple Station.

Their findings have recently emerged, and can be read here: http://us13.campaign-archive1.com/?u=5d99d13f7cf2cbbe3a9db44ea&id=bb29a575be&e=4a6841c665

The report spares no detail - it's a very long read - but in summary, it makes four broad proposals: 

1.   Give permits to business owners and their staff (subject to some controls) for use anywhere except Town Street
2.   Brabyns Brow to have more short stay (e.g. +15) and less long stay than currently, and two out of the 5 Disabled Bays to be delimited to short stay
3.   Lobby Transport for Greater Manchester to add more spaces to the Purple Pakora Car Park (estimate 15 can be created)
4.   Pay and Display on Longhurst Lane and Lower Fold to have a very high fee for longer term than 4 hours e.g. £10

Whilst we should acknowledge all the work that has gone in to this report, and be grateful that our councillors are showing an interest in this issue, I have to say I'm disappointed that the report has failed to address the main underlying cause of parking problems in that area, and that is overspill from the station.  Every weekday, rail commuters who cannot find a space at the station or across the road behind the Purple Pakora, are clogging up the car park lower down Brabyns Brow, in Brabyns Park, on Winnington Road, and elsewhere.  And the only proposal to address this issue is number 3, which suggests a paltry 15 more parking spaces behind the Purple Pakora.  Fifteen, that's all!   You could create fifteen more spaces within the existing car park by painting white lines on it, so that people don't park so far apart!  And there's room for loads more spaces than that in the grassy area at the back of the existing car park.

Overall, I fear it's a timid report which lacks vision and imagination, and will do little if anything to find a long-term solution to the problem.  Disappointing.
So what is your long term solution to the problem Dave.

JMC

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »
Members of this forum may be aware that our local LibDem councillors have been looking into the parking problems in Marple Bridge and at Marple Station.

Their findings have recently emerged, and can be read here: http://us13.campaign-archive1.com/?u=5d99d13f7cf2cbbe3a9db44ea&id=bb29a575be&e=4a6841c665

Whilst we should acknowledge all the work that has gone in to this report, and be grateful that our councillors are showing an interest in this issue, I have to say I'm disappointed that the report has failed to address the main underlying cause of parking problems in that area, and that is overspill from the station.  Every weekday, rail commuters who cannot find a space at the station or across the road behind the Purple Pakora, are clogging up the car park lower down Brabyns Brow, in Brabyns Park, on Winnington Road, and elsewhere.  And the only proposal to address this issue is number 3, which suggests a paltry 15 more parking spaces behind the Purple Pakora.  Fifteen, that's all!   You could create fifteen more spaces within the existing car park by painting white lines on it, so that people don't park so far apart!  And there's room for loads more spaces than that in the grassy area at the back of the existing car park.

Overall, I fear it's a timid report which lacks vision and imagination, and will do little if anything to find a long-term solution to the problem.  Disappointing.

Interesting. Is there any option or discussion of trying to get more commuters to Rose Hill and spread them out more? (Better service). I use RH as it is quieter and better parking. I sometimes walk, both stations are almost a mile from where I live, but when I have childcare to sort have to drive. Could there be a way of encouraging more people to walk to the station ?

Deniseam

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 06:12:32 PM »
I am against paying for parking on Lower Fold. I work at Ludworth Primary and sometimes can't get a space in the staff car park.  If I am lucky I can get one in the two car parks across the road.  A ten pound fee would put paid to that and I would have to find space on the side roads.  Not exactly a neighbour friendly option.

Dave

Parking in Marple Bridge and at Marple Station
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 06:04:07 PM »