Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: Taxis  (Read 7476 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Taxis
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2016, 08:37:35 AM »
Where is this guidance published? I can't find it. I'm particularly interested in the definition of 'local business'.

Dear oh Dear Harry.

LOCAL ?  BUSINESS ?  Doh !

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 11:09:01 PM »
Where is this guidance published? I can't find it. I'm particularly interested in the definition of 'local business'.

It was first published using those exact words in 2014, see the link below, but it's the basic guidance that I have always given since the forum was started in 1998:

http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=5949.0

It was also added to the registration agreement at the same time. I can't remember the particular thread that caused me to do this at the time but I recall feeling the need to try and clarify the policy. It was probably one of the times I've been threatened with legal action or worse because of someone's anonymous comments.

The introductions to the the Reviews and Recommendations section also explain that negative posts will be removed and have done so for many years.

I haven't written a definition of what a local business is - I don't see it as being that complicated - but I'm primarily concerned about criticism of independent local business. I'm also concerned about the reputation of the web site itself too, that I know the owners of many local businesses well, and I don't see why I should be forced to defend comments that are made on here anonymously. I'm not so concerned about nationals or multinationals but in the end it comes down to the judgement of Howard and me as to what we moderate and what may technically seem to break the rules but is allowed to get through - or we may miss of course. Judgements on my part are made based on 18 years of trying to strike a balance that I think is right - you may not agree with what we do, you may think it's inconsistently applied, and that's fine.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Harry

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 09:07:11 PM »
This is the published guidance: This forum is not provided so that you can anonymously criticise a local business. If you have an issue with a local shop or business then you should take it up with them directly. If you wish to post a negative review on-line then try Trip Advisor. If you post negative comments anonymously it is almost certain that they will be removed. If you include your full name, postal address, phone number and email address so that the target of the comments can contact you about them then they may be left but in all cases this will be at the discretion of the board moderators.

Anonymous praise doesn't cause the same issues and is therefore at the discreation of moderators (Howard and me) as to what is allowed and what is not.

marpleexile

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 05:25:18 PM »
Please save me from assertions that start with the clichéd...'I think you've missed the point.'

I'm sure that I haven't, but let's not labour it eh. I've made mine and I think its clear.

Ah, so you didn't misunderstand, you just completely ignored it to argue against something I didn't say - you're not a budding politician by any chance?

Where did I mention tripadvisor style nastieness and spleen venting?

simonesaffron

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 01:56:23 PM »
Please save me from assertions that start with the clichéd...'I think you've missed the point.'

I'm sure that I haven't, but let's not labour it eh. I've made mine and I think its clear.

marpleexile

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 01:23:26 PM »
Disagree with most of your observations Marpleexile.

Admin is absolutely spot on with this. If you have a query with a local business then take it up with them yourself. One negative post can do irreparable damage to a business that ten positive ones can't overcome.

As has been pointed out this is a 'community' website not the nastiness that is Trip Advisor. If you want to vent your spleen, there are plenty of sites that cater for that. If such anonymous, dubious vengeance is not moderated, then what next?   Nasty postings about our next door neighbours? The man in the pub that we don't like? Our Mother in law.

If you want anonymity, then I say it works both ways, if you can't declare yourself then don't declare others. 

Keep moderating Admin, exactly the way you do.     

I think you've missed the point of what I said. I'm not suggesting that this board should be a tripadvisor style place of nastiness, but Admin's stance does mean that no negative comments can ever be made, and that poor experiences can't ever be discussed. Not much "community spirit" in not being able to warn people of the downside of X, Y or Z.

simonesaffron

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 09:37:59 AM »
Disagree with most of your observations Marpleexile.

Admin is absolutely spot on with this. If you have a query with a local business then take it up with them yourself. One negative post can do irreparable damage to a business that ten positive ones can't overcome.

As has been pointed out this is a 'community' website not the nastiness that is Trip Advisor. If you want to vent your spleen, there are plenty of sites that cater for that. If such anonymous, dubious vengeance is not moderated, then what next?   Nasty postings about our next door neighbours? The man in the pub that we don't like? Our Mother in law.

If you want anonymity, then I say it works both ways, if you can't declare yourself then don't declare others. 

Keep moderating Admin, exactly the way you do.     

marpleexile

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2016, 10:46:13 PM »
This is the published guidance: This forum is not provided so that you can anonymously criticise a local business. If you have an issue with a local shop or business then you should take it up with them directly. If you wish to post a negative review on-line then try Trip Advisor. If you post negative comments anonymously it is almost certain that they will be removed. If you include your full name, postal address, phone number and email address so that the target of the comments can contact you about them then they may be left but in all cases this will be at the discretion of the board moderators.

Anonymous praise doesn't cause the same issues and is therefore at the discreation of moderators (Howard and me) as to what is allowed and what is not.

I could understand this stance when looking at a thread that is just a stream of criticism, with no balance, but threads like this are exactly what you want on a DISCUSSION board such as this - one person has had a bad experience with a particular company, whilst others have had a good experience, the reader can then make up their own mind.

But then in general your moderation of the board does often miss the point of an internet discussion board (see ad nauseam the petty removal of comments that are even vaguely "off topic").

You do a brilliant job and provide a brilliant resource, and at the end of the day it's your board so your rules, I just feel your moderation style detracts from that sometimes.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 09:40:34 PM »

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

corium

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2016, 06:58:24 PM »
Fair enough but no unsolicited anonymous praise for local businesses either as the same arguments apply equally. Personally I think this is a pity but there you are but if we all want to pretend all is well with our local offering so be it. Let's not forget  this is how mystery customers (of which I am one) operate.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2016, 02:24:19 PM »
I don't think this website should be used for the purpose of blackening the names of local businesses who can't fight back, about a one off situation and under the cloak of anonymity. If you are going to be malicious to a specific named business CTCREP, at least post your name and address.

Personally,

I am a little dismayed at the original post by CTCREP. I don't dispute the validity of his complaint. A late taxi,a surly receptionist and 6 months procrastination are not fun, but nobody died. I have no experience of this taxi company. However local businesses are the lifeblood of a local community and sometimes they will get things wrong and when they do, somebody gets let down.  When this happens we should not use this Community Website to besmirch them, especially when we post their name and hide our own in anonymity, giving them no redress whatsoever.

I don't make the rules on this site but IMHO, posts that have these characteristics should not be entertained. We are a community website not the Daily Mail.   

I agree totally with @simonesaffron and @Hoffnung and I've said enough times what the rules are on this forum. Anonymous attacks on local businesses are not acceptable here. I've just returned from a long weekend in Edale, where there is very limited mobile phone reception / wifi available and have only just had the opportunity to review this thread. On doing so I've decided to remove all references to specific taxi firms and I think I've managed that.

Please do not repeat these accusations here.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sooty2

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 01:16:50 PM »
Why should we be associated with the company .we are satisfield with the service of this local taxi firm .and how do we now your not working for a rival taxi firm .trying to descredit this local taxi firm because they are good .
The same could be said about you when in an old taxis topic you said this " Dont use them prefer......................... "

amazon

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 12:53:13 PM »
Never had a problem with that local taxi firm. Had my phone nicked by a different taxi company once, while I popped in the house to get the money he asked to take my phone as a "deposit" to ensure that I came back out with the money. Silly of me to play along with that you might say! Anyway, he decided to drive off with it! Police (eventually) sorted that one out, although I received it back with a battered old SIM card (that wasn't mine) in it. Dodgy as you like. Won't name the company for fear of dismaying forum users.

In a completely different subject, anybody heard about that .............................................? A terrible business.
Agree with you about the .................... .

older-and-wider

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2016, 11:36:13 PM »
Never had a problem with local taxi firm. Had my phone nicked by a different taxi company once, while I popped in the house to get the money he asked to take my phone as a "deposit" to ensure that I came back out with the money. Silly of me to play along with that you might say! Anyway, he decided to drive off with it! Police (eventually) sorted that one out, although I received it back with a battered old SIM card (that wasn't mine) in it. Dodgy as you like. Won't name the company for fear of dismaying forum users.

In a completely different subject, anybody heard about that .............................................? A terrible business.

amazon

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2016, 10:43:01 PM »
I still say 6 months to achieve something that could be dealt with by an apology and immediate refund is just not good enough, and if you have similar problems with any taxi firm then bring it to the attention of the Licensing Authority.

I am pleased to read that some have had good results, but as for anonymity, how do we know that those posting such comments aren't associated with the company?
Why should we be associated with the company .we are satisfield with the service of this local taxi firm .and how do we now your not working for a rival taxi firm .trying to descredit this local taxi firm because they are good .