To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Traffic Congestion in Marple  (Read 14132 times)

ringi

Re: Traffic Congestion in Marple
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 03:50:18 PM »
but a few years ago I saw the same reaction at a pedestrian crossing outside a tube station in London.

So lets have zaba crossings as driver do seem to keep to them, and it is defined in law that the driver must stop if a pedestrian is waiting to cross.

(I also have a blind friend that can no longer get to the shops on his own, as his dog needs well defined curbs.)

Lily

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 03:35:31 PM »
I was also at the meeting and agree with the comments that both Dave and Cookie made.  The representatives from council had stock answers to questions and nothing helpful or constructive.
I noticed a chap who had his hand up several times and was acknowledged by one of the people on the committee - but then was chosen to ignored. In my opinion, not a nice way to treat people!
One of the things that was brought up by the committee was the work that took place on Dan Bank some years back.  Goodness knows why that needed to be mentioned - I thought we were there for current and possible future problems!

CTCREP

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 12:40:51 PM »
Regrettably the reports we have had are as I would have expected. Also regrettably is the natural response - I won't go again. This only plays into the Council's hands. They offer to consult, often only publicise in the most obscure way, and then demoralise those residents willing to make a contribution. We must not let this continue.

As for the Poynton facility unfortunately Ringi's wife's reaction, and she isn't the only one, is the reason it is not fully functional. Pedestrians in this country are too accustomed to having to give way to motorists, and many motorists assume their journey is more important than anyone else's so will rarely give way. The Highways Department only consider how they can keep the motorists happy by keeping the traffic flowing and ignore the effect their policies have everyone else.  A few years ago we were in Norway where even looking at a pedestrian crossing was enough for the traffic to stop, and only recently this was also our experience in Madeira. No doubt some will exclaim that there is a culture difference in these countries, but a few years ago I saw the same reaction at a pedestrian crossing outside a tube station in London. So it is possible to change the way people behave and it is time Stockport Council recognised this.

Cookie

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 10:22:22 AM »
I too went to the meeting and found it extremely depressing and very unhelpful.  I have previously put a post on about the speeding at Church Lane - my partner put his hand up endless times but was not chosen so was unable to bring up the speeding problem.  Also they kept saying that any questions asked had to be generic and not specific which I thought was pointless!  First time I have been to this meeting - not sure I would go again!

Dave

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 10:02:00 AM »
I went to the open forum on traffic and parking yesterday evening, which preceded the Marple Area Committee meeting.  It was very disappointing.  There was a good turnout.  Various people stood up and raised issues which concerned them.  There were two officers from the Highways Department present, and they were defensive and unhelpful.  I didn't catch their names, but I think one was the Head of the Highways Department.  His stock response was to just bat issues straight back to the questioner.  When someone expressed concern about parking on double yellow lines, and asked whether restrictions could be enforced more strictly, he said 'well it's you, the local community, who are doing the parking - enforce it yourselves!'.  And it was the same with speeding - 'you are doing the speeding, so just stop it!'  or words to that effect.

Someone else raised the issue of the lack of parking at Marple Station and in and around Marple Bridge, and suggested that the car park across the road from the station (behind the Purple Pakora) might be extended.   The response was 'it may be green belt' (which is true, but that didn't prevent the existing car park from being made), and a pointless lecture on why people should walk or cycle to the station rather than drive. 

The officers seemed to have no constructive ideas as to how to tackle any of the issues raised.  It was a frustrating and depressing experience.

ringi

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »
There are so many other alternatives - giving equal rights to motorists and pedestrians similar to what has been done in Poynton could reduce the congestion problems. How often are motorists and pedestrians waiting at traffic lights when there is no real reason to do so. It only requires courtesy and consideration by both parties to make Marple an even more attractive place to shop (and drive through). It works in other countries, so why not here?

It does not work well in Poynton, but may start working when the Poynton bypass is built.   Both as a pedestrian (my wife shouts at me if I walk into a road before the cars have stopped) and a driver a few ENFORCED zebra crossings would be better.   However given the police can’t even be bothered to enforce the advanced stop lines at traffic lights….

In most counties that have “shared spaces” there are routes round them, so only drivers that wish to access a shop/home within the “shared spaces” enters them.

I have not used my bike since I moved from Cambridge, partly due to my wife having CP and therefore not being able to use a normal bike, but also due to the roads and the hills.

CTCREP

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2016, 01:58:05 PM »
There has now been an interesting discussion about Stoke Lacey. However can I bring the readers back to the original subject which is about congestion and car parking in Marple. We all know and understand the motorists points of view, but unless pedestrians and other users  present their problems and the probable affect on their lives then only the motorists opinion will be considered.  There are so many other alternatives - giving equal rights to motorists and pedestrians similar to what has been done in Poynton could reduce the congestion problems. How often are motorists and pedestrians waiting at traffic lights when there is no real reason to do so. It only requires courtesy and consideration by both parties to make Marple an even more attractive place to shop (and drive through). It works in other countries, so why not here?  I hope those who can attend this meeting will do so and ensure this doesn't become a consultation solely for the benefit of motorists but include the whole society.

marplerambler

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2016, 12:00:35 PM »
Stoke Lacey is the name of the bus stop/stage on the 394 bus ticket when you board at the top of Woodville Drive.

Jay

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 09:23:33 AM »
It's three property's now 118 to 122 hibbert lane and beamsmoor is now its own little close with beamsmoor cottage at the top end just before the mill as your leaving Marple.

Howard

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 09:05:23 AM »
I believe that these are the gates for what was called Stoke Lacey:

And this is the house. It's the large section on the right. I think the property has been split into two with the one on the left now being named Manor Lodge:

Lily

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 07:43:22 AM »
Thanks Mark.
I continue to learn something new every day!
I'll have to have a look for Stoke Lacey when I'm next up that way.

Lily

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2016, 06:13:40 AM »
Stoke Lacy is (or was but I think it's still there) a house on Hibbert Lane between Woodville Drive and Links Road.

You can see it named on the Cheshire Tithe Maps on the 1910 map: http://maps.cheshire.gov.uk/tithemaps/TwinMaps.aspx

Nearby in the direction of Hawk Green was another large house called Beamsmoor, which is no longer there.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Lily

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 11:41:37 PM »
Where, in Marple, is Stoke Lacey?

marplerambler

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:41:56 PM »
As far as congestion is concerned - which loony tune decided that the "new" road (the extension of Hibbert Lane to Stockport Road) should be the only way of getting from the Church Lane/Hibbert Lane junction to Stockport Road and the rest of the centre of Marple and all other routes blocked off. Never mind the time wasted in the queue - I recently walked into the village (Ok, just for the nit-pickers - the "town") from Stoke Lacey in the middle of the morning and got to the roundabout before some of the cars that I'd pass which had been backing up on Hibbert Lane (and I'm nearly seventy with a duff hip)! There were long queues of cars trying to get through to Stockport Road from both ends of Church Lane.
Don't forget that if the traffic jam goes all the way back to Stoke Lacey, drivers who know the area who are heading for Dan Bank will go down Woodville Drive or Buxton Lane so there would also probably be a tailback of traffic trying to get onto Stockport Rd from Cross Lane.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 06:33:45 PM »
I received the following. No doubt others would have an opinion.

Good Afternoon,

I write to inform you that Marple Area Committee will be holding the first of a number of Open Forum discussions throughout 2016 at their next meeting on Wednesday 10 February 2016 – Marple Senior Citizens Hall at 6.00pm

The first topic is Traffic Congestion and Parking in the District Centre. Sue Stevenson, Transportation Manager at the Council will attend the meeting and make a short presentation, however the main purpose of the forum in to enable you and other residents to air their views. Comments made and any decisions by the Area Committee made as a result of the debate will be referred to the Executive Councillor (Supporting Places) and the Corporate Director for Place Management & Regeneration for consideration.

Please feel free to pass on this email alert.

Many Thanks
Steve

Stephen Fox
CSS Manager (Democratic Services)
Legal and Democratic Governance
Corporate and Support Services
Town Hall
Stockport
SK1 3XE
Tel: 0161 474 3206
http://www.stockport.gov.uk
Can't attend this as I have a funeral in Nottingham first thing on Thursday morning and have to go over there on Wednesday night.

As far as congestion is concerned - which loony tune decided that the "new" road (the extension of Hibbert Lane to Stockport Road) should be the only way of getting from the Church Lane/Hibbert Lane junction to Stockport Road and the rest of the centre of Marple and all other routes blocked off. Never mind the time wasted in the queue - I recently walked into the village (Ok, just for the nit-pickers - the "town") from Stoke Lacey in the middle of the morning and got to the roundabout before some of the cars that I'd pass which had been backing up on Hibbert Lane (and I'm nearly seventy with a duff hip)! There were long queues of cars trying to get through to Stockport Road from both ends of Church Lane.