Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Tram Train Strategy for Marple to Stockport  (Read 60944 times)

corium

Dave

Re: Tram Train Strategy for Marple to Stockport
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2015, 04:36:26 PM »
I think I may have lost track of my point, wheels, so I'll get back to it: that local authorities should take steps to reduce traffic congestion, both for the benefit of their residents and for the sake of reducing atmospheric pollution.  This should include measures to get people out of their cars and on to the train (e.g. having sufficient parking at stations), and this should be paid for out of taxation because:

a)   it benefits everyone, not just the train passengers, and
b)   if train passengers are charged for parking they may go back to using their cars.   

wheels

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2015, 02:55:27 PM »
Oh I  thought you'd just made my point Dave.

Dave

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »
An interesting idea from wheels - so I've just looked up the timetables:  I would have to leave home just after 06.30 to get to Didsbury by bus (384 and 42) by 08.15!  Proves my point really!

wheels

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »
From time to time I have to be at Didsbury by 8.15 a.m.  It's not a journey that can be done sensibly by public transport at that time of day, so I have to drive, and that means leaving home at 7.15 - an hour to drive just eight miles!

I would gladly pay a bit more council tax if it helped to cut traffic congestion in this area.

Dave, I  thought you were more a man of the world than that. I often go to Didsbury at that time. Bus to Stockport then the 42 every 20 minutes. It's all an easy journey.  Join me next Tuesday  😊 the point I'm really making is that it's a easier to get about by bus/train than people suggest it is.

Dizzy Penguin

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2015, 11:47:01 AM »
Either way land has a rental value and parking spaces have to be paid for either buy you the car driver or the rest of us via increased ticket prices or Council Tax. You could of course  just walk to the station. I would have thought Marple stations within walking distance of the  majority of addresses in Marple

Half an hours walk for us (top end of Ridge Road) which is fine, but not if the Mrs has hair-spray on and doesn't want the wind & rain to affect it before a night out at the theatre :o

Dave

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2015, 11:35:59 AM »
From time to time I have to be at Didsbury by 8.15 a.m.  It's not a journey that can be done sensibly by public transport at that time of day, so I have to drive, and that means leaving home at 7.15 - an hour to drive just eight miles!

I would gladly pay a bit more council tax if it helped to cut traffic congestion in this area. 

wheels

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2015, 10:11:10 AM »
Either way land has a rental value and parking spaces have to be paid for either buy you the car driver or the rest of us via increased ticket prices or Council Tax. You could of course  just walk to the station. I would have thought Marple stations within walking distance of the  majority of addresses in Marple

Dave

« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2015, 05:11:51 PM »
So if we want to promote rail travel, the parking charges may not be wanted, but who then pays for the car park?

Isn't it obvious?  The car park should either be provided by the local authority, and funded through taxation, or by Northern Rail, and funded from ticket income and through the subsidy which they receive from taxpayers.

JohnBates

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2015, 04:52:41 PM »
Thanks John Bates for organising your leaflet to fall through our letterbox. But can I ask for a box full please?

We will need something to keep our fire roaring through winter.

ta.

Not got a box full, but have a few spares if you want them...

JohnBates

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2015, 04:38:18 PM »
I'm astonished that anyone would even ask the question!  Whether it's easing traffic congestion in Marple (at one extreme) or saving the planet (at the other) it's surely a no brainer!

Exactly @Dave I am just pointing out the things that need considering. So if we want to promote rail travel, the parking charges may not be wanted, but who then pays for the car park?

Dave

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2015, 03:47:20 PM »
If only it was just a risk of being unable to park at the station!  But it isn't  - after about 9.00 on a weekday it's a dead cert.  I went to catch the 10.36 to Piccadilly this morning. The station car park was full; the car park across the road was full; Brabyns Brow was full, and Brabyns Park was full.  I ended up parking somewhere I shouldn't have done in the park. That's the problem councillors should be addressing - parking at or near the station is hopelessly inadequate.

ringi

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2015, 02:05:04 PM »
Re short term parking in Marple Bridge, is there actually a problem?  The shops and cafes seem to be thriving.  I frequently stop there for a quick bit of shopping, and I can almost always find a space easily.  As long as the time limits continue to be enforced, I doubt whether expanding the car park opposite Marple station will have any effect on the Bridge.

The risk of not finding parking space is enough to put a lot of people off.    Hence our shopping coming up to Christmas is unlikely to be in Marple, due to parking problems in past years.

My wife is disabled and someone we need a space close to where we are going, but there a too few disabled parking spaces on the rd outside the cafes in Marple Bridge.

Dizzy Penguin

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2015, 11:58:34 AM »
Thanks John Bates for organising your leaflet to fall through our letterbox. But can I ask for a box full please?

We will need something to keep our fire roaring through winter.

ta.

Dave

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2015, 11:34:06 AM »
Good point, wheels. On the other hand, I believe Tories love driving around in their Beemers and Mercs, so you'd think they'd be keen to find a way of clearing us lesser mortals in our Nissans and Vauxhall Corsas out of their way.  ;-)