Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Eccles Bridge  (Read 4538 times)

Brindley

Macclesfield canal society - Eccles Bridge
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 12:36:16 PM »
Further clarification on Eccles Bridge from the Macclesfield canal society. It is good to put a human face to some of Marples historic landscape.
"Noel,
    Thanks very much indeed for this interesting piece of history. I suspect that many of the bridge names came about as a result of common use, so because Aaron Eccles owned the adjacent land his name was lent to the bridge. There are many bridges that are known as accommodation bridges - they accommodate the owner of the land that has been divided by the canal. I dare say there was an element of negotiation about where these were to be built and would have taken the name of the land owner. I think we have always assumed that all the stone bridges and, I think, 12 or 13 swivel bridges were built as the canal was constructed. With one or two obvious exceptions such as foot bridges, I can't think of any bridge that has been added once the canal was opened. A few have disappeared though.
Regards,
Tim Bollington (Macclesfield canal society)"

Brindley

Re: Eccles Bridge
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
Thanks Ray,
I have just found an old photo on the virtual tour page looking down towards Ecclesbridge from upper Hibbert Lane.

RAY NOBLE

Re: Eccles Bridge
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:13:27 PM »
Ecclesbridge is the canal bridge on Hibbert Lane next to the Goyt Mill. Ray

Brindley

Eccles Bridge
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 11:54:32 AM »
Aaron Eccles was known to my Brindley ancestors of Marple. In 1834 and later he was an Attorney of Marple. In 1850 he owned land and property at the end of Hibbert Lane, Beam Moors House being one of these.
He owned land alongside William Thomas, (Francis Brindley's partner) where there is now an Ecclesbridge road.
Aaron Eccles also owned the Crown Inn on Hibbert lane, near Crown Street and also canal wharf, near Chapel Houses.
It appears that a lot of modern day street names in Marple came from these men of the Industrial age.
Not being from Marple I wonder exactly where the bridge was?
Any other info welcome.
Noel