RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Who makes the decisions?  (Read 4321 times)

CTCREP

Re: Who makes the decisions?
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 04:55:54 PM »
This thread is beginning to get away from the original subject which was to discover who really makes the decisions in Stockport.

I am not alone in this as elsewhere I found a comment from a Group called Streets for People   who are saying “We need more honesty in this consultation process” , having realised the original Boardman plan for Bee Lines had been changed into  the WalkRideGM scheme which invited local residents to put forward ideas on how to enable people to cycle or walk instead of using their cars,

Unfortunately there appears to be no Official help with this WalkRideGM scheme,  it just relies on the skills of those involved. Now this is no criticism of any of the individuals involved, but WalkRideMarple is a Private Group that you access by having to join via Facebook which some people want nothing to do with. There appears to be little progress being made, whereas WalkRide Romiley has various access points including their own Web Site through which you could access a map and where residents created over 2000 points that they felt needed attention,  and which SMBC has now  accepted for consideration, but who will make the decision?.

With a Council that generally ignores any requests from the residents, and frequently wastes money on ill considered schemes of their own, such as Road Humps that are supposed to reduce the number of contacts with Covid 19, by all means discuss the Pro’s and Con’s of Road Humps but preferably elsewhere because the more important issue is who made that decision and how can we affect it for without knowing all this discussion on individual problems will get us nowhere.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2020, 04:23:58 PM »
I agree - but I do wonder whether we actually know where that through traffic comes from or goes to?

Traffic from Stockport / Motorways would either terminate in the residential areas of Marple, Rose Hill to the west not making it as far as Marple district centre, Marple Bridge / Mellor / Compstall would stick with the A626 up Station Road (if not coming through Romiley/ Hyde) and I'd suggest that Hawk Green and High Lane traffic would take a route up Church Lane or Cross Lane. So this leaves those travelling from Stockport to New Mills heading through the centre of town. (on the correct road) Obviously people will use different routes but it isn't necessary to have the B6101 from Chuis to the Regent Cinema as a major route. There are other ways. (One of those I've suggested would increase traffic by my house.)

So I'm going to stick my neck out on the line and say that a significant amount of traffic *in* Marple comes from *within* Marple. So, if we take steps to improve walking and cycling provision *within* Marple we will reduce traffic *in* Marple.

And with that I think we have gone full circle, again.

It will be interesting to see if the traffic calming measures in Romiley will lead to an increase in traffic through Marple.

Andy

Not forgetting of course that Marple is classed as a town and whilst Stockport Road A626 is the main route through it, the continutation of the A626 at the junction of the petrol station is onto Station Road. Stockport Road itself continues through Marple as the B6101. This designation isn't obvious as Station Road is narrow as far as "A" designated roads through a town are concerned. My point here is that, until such time as there is any kind of significant alternative route around Marple centre for through traffic, any measures taken will be compromised and unlikely to make the issue of congestion and therefore safety better for either pedestrians or motorists.

jimblob

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2020, 02:43:01 PM »
With regards to the crossing and speed bumps, we could quite easily convert each crossing into a table with a zebra.

It allows level access for pedestrians and the less abled, prioritises pedestrian movement but allows traffic to flow at other times and introduces an element of traffic calming.

You could also have a series of 5 or 6 zebra crossings which would allow more people to cross the road at more even intervals much like every continental European town.
Not forgetting of course that Marple is classed as a town and whilst Stockport Road A626 is the main route through it, the continutation of the A626 at the junction of the petrol station is onto Station Road. Stockport Road itself continues through Marple as the B6101. This designation isn't obvious as Station Road is narrow as far as "A" designated roads through a town are concerned. My point here is that, until such time as there is any kind of significant alternative route around Marple centre for through traffic, any measures taken will be compromised and unlikely to make the issue of congestion and therefore safety better for either pedestrians or motorists.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 09:41:31 AM »
With regards to the crossing and speed bumps, we could quite easily convert each crossing into a table with a zebra.

It allows level access for pedestrians and the less abled, prioritises pedestrian movement but allows traffic to flow at other times and introduces an element of traffic calming.

You could also have a series of 5 or 6 zebra crossings which would allow more people to cross the road at more even intervals much like every continental European town.

jimblob

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 09:16:55 AM »
So get rid of the speed cushion that's 30m away from a crossing then.  How many does that affect?

If there's a problem with a specific cushion, GET IT FIXED.
I have raised this with the Highways team, they have as yet not responded!
the same argument for not having them near to a crossing does of coure apply to humps generally, they divert the attention of the driver away from their surroundings downwarsd and towards the hump and only the hump!

Graham

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2020, 10:50:51 PM »
Perhaps some of the pedestrians using Marple shops arrived by car, and they are therefore the “speeding” motorists that are now being discouraged from coming to Marple by the road humps, still it helps with the social distancing if there are less folk about.

Condate

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2020, 09:53:45 PM »
Marple Centre is a Shopping Area and should be Pedestrian Priority

Parts of Marple are a shopping area and were already extremely well served by pedestrian crossing.  There is no need whatsoever for any further measures. As well as being a driver, I also use Marple a lot as a pedestrian and always found it very pedestrian friendly. Just because I use the area as a pedestrian, does not mean I want motorists to be considered of any less importance than pedestrians.

CTCREP

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
Also, apart from the speed Lumps being a disaster, in no way do they relate to the Covid situation.  What do relate to Covid are the bollards on the pavement in the centre of Marple that strictly makes the pavement useless if we are to adhere to  the social distancing advice. The Council hasn't rushed to remove them.

I can understand some people being fearful of the speed of vehicles through Marple and elsewhere, but teken right down to basics this is only a fear. You would stand almost as close to the edge of a platform when an express train goes through but you wouldn't attempt to cross the rails.  The same applies in Marple.  If you use all the, often inconvenient,  provisions for crossing the road you are perfectly safe apart from the actions of Law Breakers who cannot be accounted for under any scheme.

Merple Centre is a Shopping Area and should be Pedestrian Priority, and outdated Speed Lumps do nothing at all to enable people shop conveniently.

andrewbowden

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2020, 03:34:15 PM »
Sadly, @andrewbowden they haven't made Marple safer! They have introduced grater risk; raised cushions within 30m of a pedestrian crossing is considered poor road design as drivers vision is diverted from the crossing and the lights and to the speed cushions they're trying deperately to avoid! In a 30mph limit it's not even permitted in the regulations!

So get rid of the speed cushion that's 30m away from a crossing then.  How many does that affect?

If there's a problem with a specific cushion, GET IT FIXED. 

jimblob

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2020, 03:27:19 PM »
The money came from central government.  It came with tight time limits. It was with tight time limits because this was an emergency response related to some sort of pandemic you may have heard of?  Something called Covid-19?  You may have heard that we're supposed to stay 2m apart from each other?  Or you may not.  I don't know. But those of us who walk around a lot may have noticed that the pavements aren't always big and that to keep 2m apart, sometimes you might need to duck into the road.

So the council's choice was simple.

1) TRY TO MAKE MARPLE SAFER FOR RESIDENTS DURING A PANDEMIC

2) DON'T TRY TO MAKE MARPLE SAFER DURING A PANDEMIC

The council have clearly opted for 1.  To do that they've tried to slow traffic with speedbumps and a 20mph.

Their other choice was 2. 

If you don't want to drive over the speedbumps, don't drive through the 20mph zone.  It's possible to avoid.  Please do.  Because you taking a different route will also achieve the goal of making Central Marple safer by reducing the cars. 

You have the right to moan and whine about them.  That's free speech.  But when you do so NEVER FORGET why they are there.  To help make Marple safer during a pandemic which has spread through the world like wildfire, and which is killing people.
Sadly, @andrewbowden they haven't made Marple safer! They have introduced grater risk; raised cushions within 30m of a pedestrian crossing is considered poor road design as drivers vision is diverted from the crossing and the lights and to the speed cushions they're trying deperately to avoid! In a 30mph limit it's not even permitted in the regulations!

andrewbowden

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2020, 03:02:05 PM »
I  can’t  agree more with Jimblobs statement that this:- Myopic and obsessive Stockport Council Highways team wins again and we all lose!

As far as I am aware the road humps were put in without any public consultation, of if there was one then it was successfully hidden away. 

It has cost us money which the Council repeatedly says is not available when other requests are put forward.

The money came from central government.  It came with tight time limits. It was with tight time limits because this was an emergency response related to some sort of pandemic you may have heard of?  Something called Covid-19?  You may have heard that we're supposed to stay 2m apart from each other?  Or you may not.  I don't know. But those of us who walk around a lot may have noticed that the pavements aren't always big and that to keep 2m apart, sometimes you might need to duck into the road.

So the council's choice was simple.

1) TRY TO MAKE MARPLE SAFER FOR RESIDENTS DURING A PANDEMIC

2) DON'T TRY TO MAKE MARPLE SAFER DURING A PANDEMIC

The council have clearly opted for 1.  To do that they've tried to slow traffic with speedbumps and a 20mph.

Their other choice was 2. 

If you don't want to drive over the speedbumps, don't drive through the 20mph zone.  It's possible to avoid.  Please do.  Because you taking a different route will also achieve the goal of making Central Marple safer by reducing the cars. 

You have the right to moan and whine about them.  That's free speech.  But when you do so NEVER FORGET why they are there.  To help make Marple safer during a pandemic which has spread through the world like wildfire, and which is killing people.

CTCREP

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2020, 02:20:36 PM »
I  can’t  agree more with Jimblobs statement that this:- Myopic and obsessive Stockport Council Highways team wins again and we all lose!

As far as I am aware the road humps were put in without any public consultation, of if there was one then it was successfully hidden away. 

It has cost us money which the Council repeatedly says is not available when other requests are put forward.

In there own web link:- 
https://www.stockport.gov.uk/news/new-measures-introduced-in-stockports-district-centres-as-part-of-safeI

Cllr David Meller, Cabinet Member for Economy and Regeneration, said: “As we learn to live with COVID-19, it is really important that the re-opening of our retail sector is done so as safely as possible. I am confident that we have done all we can across the borough to ensure it is a safe and welcoming place for you to shop, live, work and enjoy”.

“These new measures in our district centres will help residents navigate the areas safely and maintain social distancing at all times, while encouraging people to walk or cycle over using the car”.
“I am really grateful to those local councillors who have engaged positively with the Safe Street Save Lives campaign and offered their feedback on how best to support their communities’ district centres. If local traders and residents like the arrangements then there is the option to make them permanent”.

“Our local businesses all need your support more than ever right now, so please support them by shopping local and giving back to the local economy”.
“It was those local businesses that were there for us during the height of the pandemic earlier this year and will no doubt be there for us in the coming weeks as we wrestle with a rise in cases.”
“The council expects the temporary schemes to be in place until Autumn 2021.  A public consultation would take place before any decisions are made on whether the schemes are made permanent”.

So now the Council is to spend more money consulting us on whether or not we like what they have done and regrettably we shall be spending more money having the humps removed or made permanent.

Does this Council not realise that Romiley and Marple are primarily shopping centres, not just an area of shops either side of road? These roads are not the same as the A6 and we should be able to cross whenever and wherever we wish.  Here pedestrians must take precedence if we are to do as Cllr David Meller says :-  “Our local businesses all need your support more than ever right now, so please support them by shopping local and giving back to the local economy”, and it is Cllr Meller and other Councillors who should ensure Stockport Council does what its residents want, not for us to have to live a town that is out of touch with modern thinking.

andy+kirsty

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2020, 11:04:46 AM »
Was there a shared space suggestion a while ago? what happened to that, it would keep traffic to a 20mph speed.

That was my suggestion along with other ideas to promote safer routes to schools. I've shared it with councillors. I'm not certain there was an enthusiastic response.

We need a a serious commitment from local councillors and a vision. Something positive to look to, something exciting and transformative. At present there is just some tinkering around the edges that satisfies no one and we are being left behind local towns with money being spend elsewhere.

Central government have published loads of guidance recently which should be adopted, for instance this one - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/cycle-infrastructure-design-ltn-120

There have also been loads of recent studies into the benefits of modal filters and LTNs and with the changes to ANPR regulations it means that they can be easily and cheaply enforced outside on London. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/16/claim-low-traffic-schemes-only-benefit-better-off-debunked-in-new-study

I think Steve mentioned that this was in the hand of the highways department and I think this is one of the issues - Marple is more than roads. We need a decent urban planner who can focus on the whole area and the interaction between where people live, are educated, shop and use transport links as well as road layouts.

Andy

jimblob

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2020, 08:34:47 AM »
I am surprised that more people don't object to the 20mph limit, which is essentially pointless.  Like almost all drivers, I won't drive that fast when there is the slightest risk of it being too fast for the circumstances, regardless of the limit. The very few who don't drive like that will not take any notice of speed limits anyway.

As it is, I do obviously obey the limit (although I generally take a longer route to avoid it), and so trundle along at 20mph along an empty road with no pedestrians on the pavements or anywhere near the road.

Avoiding the 20mph limit, even when I'd not be exceeding 20mph anyway is of course what a great many people will be doing, thus losing custom for the shops in the area; particularly for passing traffic.
Very good points @Condate and I copletely agree with you. 20mph is a great idea, but enforcing it for the very few who don't abide by it with humps will simply not work and only serve to inconvenience those who do.
Myopic and obsessive Stockport Council Highways team wins again and we all lose!

Condate

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 09:25:48 PM »
I am surprised that more people don't object to the 20mph limit, which is essentially pointless.  Like almost all drivers, I won't drive that fast when there is the slightest risk of it being too fast for the circumstances, regardless of the limit. The very few who don't drive like that will not take any notice of speed limits anyway.

As it is, I do obviously obey the limit (although I generally take a longer route to avoid it), and so trundle along at 20mph along an empty road with no pedestrians on the pavements or anywhere near the road.

Avoiding the 20mph limit, even when I'd not be exceeding 20mph anyway is of course what a great many people will be doing, thus losing custom for the shops in the area; particularly for passing traffic.