Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: So is Marple in Cheshire?  (Read 10717 times)

Water Rat

Re: So is Marple in Cheshire?
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 08:39:51 PM »
Phew - an independent republic sounds good even if a bit Citizen Smith - hang on what about Marple Bridge?  I still have relatives alive who were born when Marple Bridge was in Derbyshire ie before 1936. East of the Goyt was part of Ludworth in the Hundred of the High Peak in Derbyshire. Are they still to be included in Derbyshire, Cheshire or ...gulp ...  Stockport MBC?

nipper14

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 11:36:03 AM »
I am Stockport born and bred and proud of it. I have always included Cheshire in my address and will continue to do so.

RWW

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 08:54:42 PM »
Any 21st Century map of the area will show that Marple is in the borough of Stockport. That's a good thing. The people of Marple need bringing down to earth every once in a while :-).

simonesaffron

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2015, 07:12:36 PM »
It is always more in the moment Condate, to be where you really are, than where you could have been, or were.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2015, 06:26:12 PM »
Really, have you asked them all?

And what happens when those born before SMBC came in to existence all die? Will the next generation  believe that they are part of an entity that by then won't have existed for 50+ years?

Borders change on a regular basis be they national, county or district. Hanging onto a certain snapshot of the past serves very little purpose.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Condate

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2015, 06:11:27 PM »
Here we go again. Is that time of year so soon..... Cheshire as a County doesn't exist any more. Marple is part of Stockport. Please deal with it.

Cheshire as an administrative unit (very regrettably) doesn't exist. Cheshire as a traditional county does, since the 1974 changes only affect administrative areas, not the traditional counties. Cheshire as an idea certainly continues to exist in the hearts and minds of its people.

amazon

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2015, 05:22:03 PM »
Asda are not singling out Cheshire to boycott - there are lots of things they don't have that the Co-op used to carry!!

Anyway, whenever I am asked for my address I always say 'Cheshire' and it is always accepted, with or without the postcode.
Like what I know they don't sell cooking apples as yet they have been told .

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2015, 04:14:39 PM »
Here we go again. Is that time of year so soon..... Cheshire as a County doesn't exist any more. Marple is part of Stockport. Please deal with it.

This thread  belongs on an Altrincham forum..... you can have some fun with that lot by winding them up with the 'T' word  ;D They also try to use the Post Office as vindication! Since when did a private company decide where you live and who you pay your taxes to?
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

nipper14

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2015, 04:13:49 PM »
Asda are not singling out Cheshire to boycott - there are lots of things they don't have that the Co-op used to carry!!

Anyway, whenever I am asked for my address I always say 'Cheshire' and it is always accepted, with or without the postcode.

Yes - Asda don't carry empty shelves, like the Co-op used to!

Barbara

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2015, 08:02:32 AM »

Dave

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2015, 07:16:54 AM »
And you don't see many of these in Marple.......

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2015, 06:34:44 AM »
Asda marple does not sell cheshire cheese.

Do they sell Greater Manchester cheese? Or even grated Manchester cheese!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

pauljonespm

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2015, 01:39:06 AM »
Asda marple does not sell cheshire cheese.

Howard

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 11:42:38 PM »
Marple should secede from Stockport and become a tax haven along the lines of Monaco or Andorra.

hollins

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 10:01:36 PM »
There are times on this forum when Marple appears to be an independent republic!