Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: And they say the pub trade is struggling.  (Read 2572 times)

simonesaffron

Re: And they say the pub trade is struggling.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 11:22:48 AM »
Yes, unfortunately it is true, pubs seem to be bastions of sexism. I visit pubs on a regular basis, sometimes alone and I've lost count of the number of occasions that I've experienced Henrietta's experience. There is no doubt that it can be slightly humiliating and that you are left with either accepting the humiliation or creating a scene and none of these should be acceptable. You learn not to care about it but that's wrong as well.

The other thing that I've observed is that some men speak/behave in such a sexist way, when they are within the confines of a pub. It is conduct that I do not experience anywhere else.   

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:42:06 PM »
Despite what wheels says Howard or Admin will remove anonymous criticism of local businesses, so the approach in your original post was correct.

However, if it has happened on 5 different occasions I must admit I would be looking to find a new meeting venue.
Unfortunately, I'm a new member of the group and have no say in the venue (yet!). I did take it up with the manager today by email and I am awaiting his reply with interest. If one isn't forthcoming I may take it up with him at the next meeting. I have a feeling that the manager might turn out to be the barman in question which makes it worse.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 07:33:43 PM »
Despite what wheels says Howard or Admin will remove anonymous criticism of local businesses, so the approach in your original post was correct.

However, if it has happened on 5 different occasions I must admit I would be looking to find a new meeting venue.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

wheels

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 05:23:42 PM »
I am surprised you were not more assertive. That apart you totally correct such behaviour is totally unacceptable equally despite what Admin and Howard might say I don't think you should be coye about naming the pub poor service whereever it is should be exposed.

My login is Henrietta

And they say the pub trade is struggling.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 04:06:14 PM »
Last night I attended a meeting at a pub in Marple which shall remain nameless. At around 8pm I stood at the bar for about 5 minutes awaiting to be served. When it was my turn the barman walked over to me, look straight through me and served a man who had just walked in and was standing behind me! I was not best pleased but refrained from making a fuss. On talking to the other ladies at the meeting, which is a regular event at the pub, they said that this was not unusual there. One of them said it had happened to her on FIVE different occasions when she'd attended the meetings!

This sort of behaviour is not on. It is ill-mannered, old-fashioned and sexist and a BIG mistake on the part of the management for allowing it to happen. Women make up a large proportion the work force and have disposable income which pub managers should be actively chasing and they have influence over their partners when it comes to evenings out. It has certainly put me off being a regular customer. I have experience of working in bars and I can assure you that if this had happened in any pub I've worked in it would have been a sacking offence.

The trade cannot afford to alienate a large chunk of their available clientele in this way.