Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: The Spring Gardens  (Read 26144 times)

Dave

Re: The Spring Gardens
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
Oh, and I meant to add, my very nice pint cost only £2.90!   :D :D

barndoor

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 05:50:03 PM »
Mrs barndoor and I called in the other evening as well.

We were mightily impressed with the revamped Spring Gardens, and although we'd previously heard a comment that the lighting was 'too bright', it wasn't as intrusive as I'd been led to believe it would be. That said, a dimmer switch at the front might help to create a more cosy atmosphere. The staff were very friendly: as soon as I walked in I was offered a 'taster', which is always a nice touch - a sort of 'try before you buy' - and as expected, the beer was high quality. My drinking partner (not Mrs bd) was raving about how good his beer was, so we were both in agreement there. Mrs bd was impressed by the range of wines that were available: she was able to choose from a selection that was more interesting than 'just Chardonnay' (which she has found to be the case in several of the local pubs).

I was struck by the number of people I recognised who are (were?) regulars in The Norfolk Arms. It will be interesting to see how The Norfolk deals with the challenge presented by the new kid on the block.

Dave

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2016, 10:15:46 AM »
Popped in to the Springers yesterday for a pint while waiting to pick up a takeaway.  I think it's the first time I've set foot in that pub for about ten years.   

Anyway, what a surprise!  A major makeover, for a start, and a very different contemporary feel, with stripped floors and good lighting, and plenty of space.  Just as well, because it was very busy, and the person who served me said it's been like that ever since they opened.

A big selection of cask and keg beers, from breweries you've never heard of, plus so-called craft beers (not sure what they are), and plenty of exotic ales  from foreign  parts. Didn't try the food, and couldn't see a menu, but plenty of people seemed to be eating it.

In short, definitely worth a visit.  And although it's early days, and yes it was Saturday evening, and the novelty may wear off, but the level of business suggests that it is still possible to run a 'normal' (as opposed to micro) pub in Marple.   :)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2016, 11:37:56 AM »
Slightly odd food hours; Wednesday and Sunday only, but I'm sure they know what they are doing.

They do know @Condate, it's my typo, should be Wednesday to Saturday and Sunday! Corrected now  ::)
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Condate

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2016, 10:12:29 AM »
Pleased to have some updated information from Fool Hardy Ales for the Spring Gardens page in the Pub Guide:

http://www.marple-uk.com/pubguide/springers.htm

Interesting. Slightly odd food hours; Wednesday and Sunday only, but I'm sure they know what they are doing. I normally visit pubs for a meal and have a drink while I'm there, but I know that for a great many people it's the beer that's the main attraction and why not? I'll probably try it on a Sunday afternoon, as I am at work on Wednesdays.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2016, 07:01:45 AM »
Pleased to have some updated information from Fool Hardy Ales for the Spring Gardens page in the Pub Guide:

http://www.marple-uk.com/pubguide/springers.htm
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2016, 06:34:54 PM »
Opening has been delayed until next Wednesday 16th March from 12 noon.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2016, 07:00:48 AM »
According to Fool Hardy Ales on Twitter the official opening is Wednesday 9th March.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2016, 06:01:10 AM »
I've changed the title of this thread to The Spring Gardens as that's now much more relevant than Tennessee Jacks.

On Twitter they say that they've brewed the first new ale for the launch of the pub Rude Vagablond 4.2%.

When I last asked they expected to open late February but that could be slipping I guess.

Here's a picture of the new bar:

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 09:16:42 PM »
Mrs barndoor and I have just returned from a spin around the area and we noticed that the revamp is well under way: tables and furniture appear to have been moved in (although is yet to be unpacked), and there's a sign up saying they're looking for staff; so the portents are good for an opening date towards the start of March.

We actually visited their pub, The Hope, on Wellington Road North last summer (before we learnt they were planning a move to Marple Bridge). The beer was really excellent and we vowed to return - which, because it's so far away, unfortunately never happened - so we were ecstatic to discover they had evidently got fed up waiting for us and instead set up shop close to ours. For anyone who enjoys a quality pint I can thoroughly recommend them (I base this on the very positive experience we had in The Hope), and I hope they are successful.

I actually spotted an advert they had placed in the December edition of Opening Times which I meant to post on here at the time, but in the general hubbub of Christmas forgot to. Page 6 on this link.
8March i heard its opening .

barndoor

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2016, 07:28:24 PM »
Mrs barndoor and I have just returned from a spin around the area and we noticed that the revamp is well under way: tables and furniture appear to have been moved in (although is yet to be unpacked), and there's a sign up saying they're looking for staff; so the portents are good for an opening date towards the start of March.

We actually visited their pub, The Hope, on Wellington Road North last summer (before we learnt they were planning a move to Marple Bridge). The beer was really excellent and we vowed to return - which, because it's so far away, unfortunately never happened - so we were ecstatic to discover they had evidently got fed up waiting for us and instead set up shop close to ours. For anyone who enjoys a quality pint I can thoroughly recommend them (I base this on the very positive experience we had in The Hope), and I hope they are successful.

I actually spotted an advert they had placed in the December edition of Opening Times which I meant to post on here at the time, but in the general hubbub of Christmas forgot to. Page 6 on this link.

sgk

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2015, 06:25:57 PM »
Fool Hardy Ales is now looking for staff in all areas, kitchen, bar, waiting on for the Spring Gardens, due to open in February 2016.
Appear to be needing a spot of help with their website too, admin, if you know anyone  ;)

http://springgardenssk6.co.uk/

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2015, 09:47:25 AM »
Fool Hardy Ales is now looking for staff in all areas, kitchen, bar, waiting on for the Spring Gardens, due to open in February 2016.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 06:00:22 PM »
This is really good news.  I've lost count of how many pubs we've lost in recent years, so it's great that someone is keeping the Spring Gardens going.  :)

BennyBlue

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2015, 11:28:18 AM »
Fantastic news. The hope is one of the best pubs in the area, and great beer.