Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: A Man of Insignificance  (Read 10600 times)

Loobylou

Re: A Man of Insignificance
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 12:59:43 PM »
Sorry,

I posted that incomplete.

What I meant to say was that I took your advice and went to the reading. I was made very welcome, met the author, (an apparent gentleman) and bought two copies of his book which he signed.

I also had a very nice glass of white wine.   

I now plan to read it myself and for anyone that's interested, I will post a review when I have, although it is quite a thick book and it may take me some time. 

Loobylou

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 12:44:51 PM »
Thank you Simone,

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 04:54:53 AM »
A number of posts have been broken out from this thread and moved to the Off Topic section because they have little to do with the publication of this book.

Part of one post from SimoneS does, so I've quoted it below.

Back to your book, I do know a little about it, In fact I know somebody who is reading it as we speak. I also intend to read it myself but I probably won't be doing that until next week. Anyway I'll come back to you with something constructive at a later date.    

A Man of Insignificance is being officially launched at The Springfield Hotel, tomorrow afternoon. Attendance is by invite only but I'm sure if you happened to wander over there, somebody would sell you a copy, you may even be able to get it signed by the author, that would please your aunt. Oh yes, I agree it is a very interesting cover, very unusual.    
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

sgk

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 07:41:35 PM »
Hi LoobyLou,

I have read the book :-) 

There is no gratuitous stuff at all - i really enjoyed it.  Right from the start it drew me in.  In fact i haven't read many novels recently but i enjoyed it so much that I read it all again.

Welcome to the forum brand new user jragain.  Hope more reviews on their way.

corium

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »
I'm fairly sure there are readings from it this Sunday afternoon at the Springfield Hotel. I saw a notice in a shop window this afternoon but unfortunately have mislaid the piece of paper I jotted the details down on.

jragain

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 06:39:07 PM »
Hi LoobyLou,

I have read the book :-) 

There is no gratuitous stuff at all - i really enjoyed it.  Right from the start it drew me in.  In fact i haven't read many novels recently but i enjoyed it so much that I read it all again.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 03:40:41 PM »
There are some excerpts here that may give you a flavour:

http://amanofinsignificance.com/excerpts/
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Loobylou

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 03:22:38 PM »
Thanks everybody, that's amazing!

I've got an old Auntie she's a big fan of Councillor Kev. As a Councillor that is not as a writer.

I was thinking of buying it for her as a Christmas present, she'll be delighted. The only thing is, will it be suitable for her?  She likes a good crime thriller, murder-type book, but she She won't want it, if it's full of gratuitous sex and violence.

Has anybody out there read it, does anybody know what it's about ? What type of book is it?

Even worse it's not about the Council, is it?   

gazwhite

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 09:15:03 PM »
...and it's on sale now at Marple Bridge Post Office...

Stationery Supplies

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »
Indeed it is!
Kevin will be at the Marple Christmas Cracker alongside Paul Beatty, Mike Walters & Chris Simms in the 'Local Authors' Corner'!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 05:09:09 PM »
It looks like it is indeed our own Cllr Kev!

http://amanofinsignificance.com/

Here's a link to the Help Section that explains how to start a new topic:

http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?action=help;page=post#newtopic
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Loobylou

A Man of Insignificance
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 02:04:21 PM »
I know that this is the wrong topic but I don't know how to create a new one.

Anyway, recently I came across a new book with a very interesting cover. It's called A Man of Insignificance, and the writer is somebody called K.C. Dowling who apparently lives in Marple, England.

I haven't actually read the book but I wondered if this K.C Dowling could be the same Kevin Dowling that is one of our local councillors, does anybody know?