To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Remembrance Sunday Service [9 November 2014]  (Read 3070 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Remembrance Sunday Service [9 November 2014]
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 06:32:37 AM »
Arthur Procter's photos of yesterday's Remembrance Service in Marple Memorial Park have been uploaded to the Virtual History Tour this morning:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-79
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 08:23:58 AM »
Information taken from Stockport Council web site:

Marple:
10.15am - Standard bearers and the public to assemble at the War Memorial in Memorial Park.
10.30am - Service to commence.
Thank you, Mark.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
Information taken from Stockport Council web site:

Marple:
10.15am - Standard bearers and the public to assemble at the War Memorial in Memorial Park.
10.30am - Service to commence.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

Remembrance Sunday Service [9 November 2014]
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 10:06:42 PM »
Anyone know the arrangements for Remembrance Sunday in Marple this year? Service, parade, etc? Does it start at one of the churches?

IIRC when I was a Guide In the 1960s the parade used to start in the park, parade to All Saints and then after the main part of the service, parade back to the park for the final part of the service. I loved the hynms - "For All The Saints" and "Onward, Christian Soldiers", etc., which we could really belt out! However, apparently due to the views of the then incumbent of All Saints, the church decided to discontinue hosting the service sometime in the early 1980s, I think. I seem to remember the service was conducted at the Willows that year but then I moved away.

I remember my Guide Company - 5th Marple, which met at the Grove Chapel (now Marple Methodist Church) - being drilled on the Friday before every Remembrance Sunday to make sure our marching skills were up to scratch for the parade. Woe betide anyone who was out of step!