Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: wheel reinvented for a quarter of the portas money??  (Read 19858 times)

CTCREP

• Cycle Stockport
Re: wheel reinvented for a quarter of the portas money??
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2014, 02:16:17 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  It appears to only accept GIF's, so I shall try again.

Below is an Information Board in a small village in Herefordshire which if Marple had something similar it would be far more beneficial to the area than a new logo.

[img/Users/defaultuser/Desktop/DSC00325 copy.gif][/img]

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »
I note the photo didn't appear, could Admin please explain how it is done.  Thanks

Help is here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?action=help;page=post#attachments

Maximum file size is 1000Kb - this is usually the reason for failure - trying to upload too large an image.

Duke Fame

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »
Having tried for many years to persuade Stockport Council, our local Councillors and others that say they have an interest in Marple that an Information Board at Rosehill near to the end of the Middlewood Way would bring more visitors into Marple, many of whom turn back as soon as they realise they have arrived at the Council's Refuse Tip, only to be told there is no money available, I am more than disappointed that this money has been spent on a Logo which have little to do with encouraging visitors. I also agree with others that encouraging our local students by giving them the project to design a logo would have been far more beneficial and cost effective.

Below, I hope, is a photo I took in a little village in Herefordshire which does far more for their village than any Logo would and probably for only half the money. Surely Marple can do as well.

The idea of Portas is that because the councils have been so bad at supporting retail businesses in the past, the funding and decision making is passed to Portas steering groups rather than local councils. The point being is that retailers know what works and local authority workers do not really have a clue.

After a sticky start (mainly down to a reluctance of the council to release control) the portas group in Stockport are doing quite a lot including an information board promoting shops etc in place of the exiting efforts.

May i suggest you speak to the Marple group with your ideas, IF they have the budget (bearing in mind they may already have assigned money) I'm sure you'll get a far more proactive response from them rather than the council.

CTCREP

• Cycle Stockport
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 09:35:19 AM »
I note the photo didn't appear, could Admin please explain how it is done.  Thanks

CTCREP

• Cycle Stockport
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »
Having tried for many years to persuade Stockport Council, our local Councillors and others that say they have an interest in Marple that an Information Board at Rosehill near to the end of the Middlewood Way would bring more visitors into Marple, many of whom turn back as soon as they realise they have arrived at the Council's Refuse Tip, only to be told there is no money available, I am more than disappointed that this money has been spent on a Logo which have little to do with encouraging visitors. I also agree with others that encouraging our local students by giving them the project to design a logo would have been far more beneficial and cost effective.

Below, I hope, is a photo I took in a little village in Herefordshire which does far more for their village than any Logo would and probably for only half the money. Surely Marple can do as well.

Duke Fame

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2014, 02:28:49 PM »
BBC "You & Yours" site re Portas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01b0xyg

The programme doesn't say much, it mentions the rates issue that really needs addressing but not with the sticky plaster solutions we've had so far.

Duke Fame

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 10:39:15 AM »
Stockport Old town website went live this morning http://stockportoldtown.co.uk/

Edit: I'm told this is very much a soft launch as they flesh out detail, the launch will be in august. The logo on this site is being used throughout the old town and a bill board campaign for a Stockport Festival starts as well.

IMHO this needs to be co-ordinated with an attempt to bring in retail businesses, in fairness, there are new businesses opening around the market area but what must not happen is that all we get are unsustainable whimsical charity types that have no chance of paying their way.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2014, 07:59:56 PM »
BBC "You & Yours" site re Portas

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01b0xyg

Don't look for the light at the end of the tunnel -  stomp along there and turn the bl**dy thing on yourself!

corium

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
Just heard a trail on the Radio for "You & Yours" on Radio 4 suggesting all next week they will be looking at the impact of the Portas scheme. Only caught it by chance so post if I've got the details slightly wrong.

Duke Fame

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 12:48:28 PM »
Yes it could, but we will never know whether it would have been any good.   FWIW, I think Tilley have done a good job, although judging from the title of this thread, I don't think bluezorro would agree! 

Agreed.  If the new logo is followed up effectively with other appropriate initiatives it could be very beneficial. 

It is quite good although I'm sure the college / school could have done something similar for nowt. That said. I am a little sniffy at marketing types - to me they just need a degree in stating the bleeding obvious to charge their fee.

We'll see how it pas out.

The Portas money is intended to give the local retailers the chance to apply their experience to create a 'buzz' and a vibrant high street. If they can point to fewer empty shops having spent the money then that is good.

I've seen a few applications for Portas funding that has come from the council to do council things, that is entirely wrong IMHO.

Dave

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 10:27:58 AM »
it's highly likely that this drawing could have been done for free as a school / college project.

Yes it could, but we will never know whether it would have been any good.   FWIW, I think Tilley have done a good job, although judging from the title of this thread, I don't think bluezorro would agree! 

However, It's possible that the logo is part of something more, perhaps an extended advertising campaign and an overall strategy and we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Agreed.  If the new logo is followed up effectively with other appropriate initiatives it could be very beneficial. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 12:13:56 PM »
£2.5K is a very small amount of money to invest in attracting new visitors to Marple, when you consider the potential additional spending and employment which it could produce over the years. 

Just to be clear, I don;t disagree that £2.5K is a very small amount of money to invest in attracting new  visitors (spending customers) to Marple.

The argument is whether this drawing is likely to achieve that AND moreover, it's highly likely that this drawing could have been done for free as a school / college project.

However, It's possible that the logo is part of something more, perhaps an extended advertising campaign and an overall strategy and we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

I understand that Stockport Old town also has a new logo which will be plastered on billboards, press around the north west, lamposts around the old town and leads on to a proactive effort to get the empty units within the old town filled up. The point of the Portas pilot is to get the retail side in the high street back in business, they are not to act like the local council as the council have contributed to the failure of the high street.

After a rather inauspicious start, this past 9 months has seen 12 new retail units open, 6 new market traders, a business incubation unit,  'Seven Miles Out' art / cultural venue, the Bakers Vault open and the old Yate's will open in August. I understand the Portas group are now talking with banks, angel investors and accountants and providing some financial assistance to entrepreneurs who look to open business in the old town.

Duke Fame

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »
£2.5K is a very small amount of money to invest in attracting new visitors to Marple, when you consider the potential additional spending and employment which it could produce over the years. 

I can't disagree Dave, however, as Harry points out, branding that could have been done by a school project may be seen as a waste.

Portas should be all about businesses making a retail area more attractive by working together. They should be more focussed & informed than the local authority who rarely have any real world experience.

As an outsider, it appears something a local authority would waste their money on rather than a group of businesses.

Dave

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »

Harry

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
So does 'wheel reinvented for a quarter of the portas money??' mean that Tilley's fee was £2.5K.  If so, that's surprisingly reasonable.

It may well be the going rate.

But 'Marple has been awarded £10,000 to help make the town centre even more attractive to shoppers', according to the publicity that was put out at the time of the award.

How is this little sketch going to help? Is this really going to attract shoppers to Marple? I think not. In which case its 25% of the money wasted. Whoever authorised this should be ashamed of themselves.
"Nothing is infinite, except the universe and stupid people, and sometimes, I doubt the universe."
--- Albert Einstein