Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Marple Tourism?? Marple Town Team?? No Marple in Times best canal guide.  (Read 5877 times)

Berni inn

Re: Marple Tourism?? Marple Town Team?? No Marple in Times best canal guide.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
How do you join a closed group.

Have local companies been sounded out?

No.

gazwhite

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 11:28:34 PM »
Yawn...

Get involved yourself then rather than just going on about it...

wheels

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2013, 10:07:57 PM »
We had friends, from Derby, visiting Marple two weeks ago. We took them on a very scenic walk along the canal to the viaduct. They were extremely impressed.

I think bluezorros point was that we all know the canal and viaduct is impressive and that we don't a report to tell us.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 06:54:37 PM »
We had friends, from Derby, visiting Marple two weeks ago. We took them on a very scenic walk along the canal to the viaduct. They were extremely impressed.

Berni inn

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:31:45 PM »
Ive heard everything now.

A man from buxton is receiving some of the 10000 to put proposals together to rebrand marple.

He has identified the aqueduct as being significant to this marketing???

God help us.

CTCREP

• Cycle Stockport
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 12:52:33 PM »
It is a great pity this group has had to fall back mainly on our  Councillors. For years I have been trying to persuade the Council to provide an information board at Rosehill to show visitors using the Middlewood Way what other attractions are in the area, but the Council has chosen not to do so.  It is also difficult to understand that when Connect 2 was being dealt with and which could have been extended much closer to Stockport providing cyclists with an off road commuter route into town and the town dwellers the opportunity of visiting Marple and beyond,  the Council decided to fully resurface  Mill Lane in Offerton against the wishes of the cyclists, and also I believe the equestrians. (Mill Lane is the lane that leads from Offerton Bridge up towards the farm and kennels and has very little use other than by walkers, cyclists and equestrians and leads onto a bridleway to Stockport). It was also extremely annoying to the find that after a complaint that the slope by the main road was too slippery for horses part of the new surface was dug up and replaced by cobbles - a surface disliked if not dangerous for cyclists - and to add insult to injury the Council must have spent further thousands on laying a length of anti skid material on the remaining 1/4 mile of road that is on the flat. Hopefully someone will ensure this latest money is spent for the benefit of the majority and for the town of Marple in general and not wasted on some Council created scheme. If in need of ideas, then several information boards and signposts enabling visitors to find out what is in the area and how to get there.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 07:37:59 AM »
Last time you asked about this in April I provided the following update:

Well zorro has sort of asked someone who is a member directly because I'm the treasurer of Town Team Marple.

I can therefore tell you that we don't actually have the money from the council yet (we are waiting for them to figure out who can sign to release the money to us and there has been a hiccup within our own organisation too - see later) and we are still discussing and developing ideas about how to spend the money when we do get it into our bank account (which was set up at the end of February).

Other member of the steering group include Secretary Diane Jackson (who did a huge amount of work preparing the original bid that resulted in the award), Ian Smith (owner of the Review newspaper) and Cllrs Susan Ingham and Craig Wright are on the steering group too. We did have a Chairman in Mick McPhee but unfortunately he recently felt it necessary to resign for personal reasons and we still need to establish a permanent replacement in this role.

The sort of things that we have been looking at include a couple of different types of town trail possibly some events and at the moment we are considering the development of a Marple brand that everyone can use.

This is just me speaking and I hope a more rounded statement can be made on behalf of the steering group in the near future.

Since then both Diane Jackson and I have resigned from our roles, Di in May and myself in June. As far as I know Cllr Susan Ingham, Cllr Craig Wright and Ian Smith are still involved and I'm sure that one of them will provide you with an update if you get in touch. Sue stepped into the role of Chair, so would be the logical person to try first. Her contact details are in the public domain:

http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=137

Berni inn

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 10:31:31 PM »
Thanks everybody for your thoughts....

Berni inn

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:35 PM »
How has the town team been spending the portas £10000.00 to benefit marple?

Berni inn

Marple Tourism?? Marple Town Team?? No Marple in Times best canal guide.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 11:32:44 PM »
No mention of Marple locks or aqueduct in The Times best canal areas as published on Saturday.

Is Marple missing out on visitors by having no tourism policy.