To advertise on this site

Author Topic: bunting  (Read 9082 times)

Howard

Re: bunting
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2014, 01:03:26 PM »
They are now known to the committee.

That sounds very ominous.

Mr Marple

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 12:47:55 PM »
That's good news. So what happened to it?

A group of people, unknown to me, took it down in order to advertise a festival or something along those lines.
These people are local at least, Compstall, which meant an easy retrieval.

They are now known to the committee.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 11:00:54 PM »
Which music festival? Is it Bands on the Hill?
Blackthorn Music festival. No other info on banner other than dates which didn't register as I was driving at the time.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 08:20:30 PM »
For those concerned, the big banner/sign has been retrieved in one piece.

That's good news. So what happened to it?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Mr Marple

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 07:49:11 PM »
For those concerned, the big banner/sign has been retrieved in one piece.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 06:08:42 AM »
I wonder if it's been taken down by the music festival people who've put up their banner in it's place?

Which music festival? Is it Bands on the Hill?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 12:16:34 AM »
If anyone is aware of the whereabouts of the big carnival sign that was between M&Co and Natwest then please let me or the carnival committee know, it has been taken by someone.
I wonder if it's been taken down by the music festival people who've put up their banner in it's place?

Mr Marple

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 09:44:38 PM »
If anyone is aware of the whereabouts of the big carnival sign that was between M&Co and Natwest then please let me or the carnival committee know, it has been taken by someone.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 02:46:24 PM »
From what I understand, the bigger contributing factors for the "lack" of bunting on Stockport Rd are or could be places to wrap/connect/tie the bunting and lack of volunteers/helpers.

I started a post called A-request-at-short-notice, asking for help. Obviously it was at short notice so the possibility of getting help was unlikely however not impossible. Considering they, the committee, have advertised/asked for helpers/volunteers for the last 2, maybe more, years speaks volumes.

Whether you choose to criticise, speak your mind or make a casual or supportive comment about something you've spotted/noticed.....your comment is understood, however, your physical help is far more appreciated. If you know someone who can and will help then please direct them to http://www.marplecarnival.org.uk/

It is to Marple's community benefit that actions speak louder than words.
IIRC when my family were in business in Marple (1960s/'70s) it was the shopkeepers' responsibility to put up bunting on the front of their premises for the carnival (and they almost all did). Most shops took part in the shop window decorating competition back then, too, but they are a bit thin on the ground this year. When the parade stopped on Buxton Lane on Saturday it didn't seem to be a very big turn out either of participants or spectators. Is the carnival less popular these days?

Sad really if that's the case. It was revived in the 1960s and it would be a shame if it died out again. I was on the Chamber of Trade float in the first "new" carnival in 1960something, along with a collection of other children in costumes representing their families' businesses

Mr Marple

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 01:19:12 AM »
From what I understand, the bigger contributing factors for the "lack" of bunting on Stockport Rd are or could be places to wrap/connect/tie the bunting and lack of volunteers/helpers.

I started a post called A-request-at-short-notice, asking for help. Obviously it was at short notice so the possibility of getting help was unlikely however not impossible. Considering they, the committee, have advertised/asked for helpers/volunteers for the last 2, maybe more, years speaks volumes.

Whether you choose to criticise, speak your mind or make a casual or supportive comment about something you've spotted/noticed.....your comment is understood, however, your physical help is far more appreciated. If you know someone who can and will help then please direct them to http://www.marplecarnival.org.uk/

It is to Marple's community benefit that actions speak louder than words.

elpram

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 10:47:39 AM »
We were sadly unable to put up as much bunting this year as the places that we normally attach it to down Stockport Rd have been slowly disappearing over the years and last year it was very dangerous for us. There were only 2 committee members able put up the bunting this year anyway and so we wouldn't have been able to do as much as last year - we didn't get any response to requests for volunteers to our post on here  :)

What's more of a concern is places disappearing down Stockport Rd....could you explain further please?

rach

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 05:39:00 PM »
I am on the committee and helped put up the bunting last year so I have explained the reason why we haven't put it up on Stockport Road this year. 

simpleton

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 05:17:35 PM »
I myself have given many of hours year in year out for many years unlike some I could mention . I was just merely saying it is a shame that the bunting could not have been put up on Stockport Road as in previous years . As for it being too dangerous last year I can personally assure you that it was not dangerous and no one came to any harm . Maybe it could just come down to not being organised by the committee in time

harry gingernut

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »
Non because it's in good hands .if you can do better join the carnival comite as I said its easy to criticise ..

How can you put on here that people are criticising the carnival for the bunting, you clearly state above that you did not have any involvement in the putting up of the bunting, looking at the comment from simpleton it looks like a fair comment to be honest....the only bunting I have seen up is on Market St

I would suggest you look at your grammar rather than to criticise someone else on a blog, oh! have you joined the carnival committee???

amazon

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:43:06 PM »
I wasn't cruising  just pointing out as apart from the banner and bunting on Market Street you wouldn't know a carnival was happening . Surely as well as promoting it on Facebook and Twitter pages they could go back to basics by making it look appealing to visitors as well as local people . I am lead to believe being on the committee is an all round year thing and not just on the day !!! So Amazon how much bunting did you put up ????
Non because it's in good hands .if you can do better join the carnival comite as I said its easy to criticise ..