Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238415 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #614 on: May 15, 2015, 01:15:15 PM »
A middle aged man buying WKD, that is reason enough to refuse him

It's almost as if he were buying for someone else!

Henry_

« Reply #613 on: May 15, 2015, 12:03:44 PM »
She must have had her reasons, perhaps he was already inebriated, or was being abusive!

A middle aged man buying WKD, that is reason enough to refuse him

Duke Fame

« Reply #612 on: May 15, 2015, 11:34:37 AM »
I suppose it's a matter of personal opinion, but I find the Co-op superior to the other supermarkets I've tried. I used to live in a town with a Tesco, Sainsbury's, Aldi, Lidl and Kwiksave and when I moved first to Compstall and now Marple, I was very surprised to discover the Co-op, as it was so much better than anything I'd known before, both in terms of the quality and range of the products. Obviously, not everyone agrees, but having discovered a supermarket which for me at least at the top of the league table, I'd find it hard to settle for anything less.

I think the proof of the pudding is in the usage of the store. Asda is very busiy compared to the old Co-op, with this in mind, I'd suggest more people find it a better compromise of quality and price than the co-op. Obviously, the independent shops do things better but as a supermarket, Asda seems to tick the boxes better than the Co-op.

nipper14

« Reply #611 on: May 07, 2015, 04:07:15 PM »
Just seen the lady running the self check outs refuse to serve a man of around 45-50 two bottles of WKD! Has the world gone mad? Surely this if a bit far?

She must have had her reasons, perhaps he was already inebriated, or was being abusive!

Disgusted of Marple

« Reply #610 on: May 05, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
Personally, I can't think of a more pleasant way to spend a couple of hours than attempting to get a small basket of shopping through the self-service checkouts.

Golfballbazooka

« Reply #609 on: May 05, 2015, 08:02:12 PM »
Just seen the lady running the self check outs refuse to serve a man of around 45-50 two bottles of WKD! Has the world gone mad? Surely this if a bit far?

nipper14

« Reply #608 on: May 04, 2015, 11:49:59 AM »
Talking of pride in the community, I note that since Asda took over, the steps and ramp from Asda car park to the memorial park have been cleaned and all the leaves and litter have been removed, the litter bin is emptied and the passage from the bin along the side of the supermarket is now clear of debris and rubbish. When the Co-op was there the litter bin was overflowing and the area around the steps was strewn with rubbish and leaves. The staff knew about it, but preferred to ignore it.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #607 on: May 02, 2015, 06:14:53 AM »

Regarding the signs ASDA have put up without planning permission, I have just received a letter from Stockport MBC saying that the planning request for the "Proposal: Installation of 10 Facia Signs and 48 other signs" has been withdrawn.  Does this mean that they will now have to remove every sign and start again and include the people of Marple in their decision?

I've also received a copy. I would suggest all it means is that Asda has noted the objections and to save themselves lots of agro and bad publicity, like it being called up at Area Committee, they have withdrawn it so that they can submit a (retrospective) application that doesn't include some or all of the signs that are being objected to and will not be controversial.

Friends of the Park are very pleased that the sign intruding on the park has been removed and this was our only concern with the signage application. If the new application doesn't include signs that impact on the park entrance then we will not object again.

I believe there were 8 objections altogether but don't know what they all were (the Civic Society objections are in the public domain but the others aren't as as far as I know). If Asda address them all then a retrospective application would probably sail through and there would be no need to remove the signs that people do not object to and then put them back up again, which would be rather silly.

Speaking of silly.......... :-X
I think MIA should be reformed then there's a good chance it might close .and be empty .or it could change to a Neto . When will people stop moaning .and trying to make Marple something it's not and never will be .

I've moved the conversation about Marple's location to a separate thread: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=6276.0
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

simonesaffron

« Reply #606 on: May 01, 2015, 01:33:49 PM »
The Co-op overpriced its products for the people of Marple and in doing do treated us with disdain. They very often didn't have stuff on the shelves either.

Quite simply, latterly, they  did not offer a good service to the people of Marple. Over the years these are some of the items that they didn't have when I was looking for them.

Mushrooms

Kiwi Fruit

Ice

Cucumber

And can you believe this one - Milk!

Stockport is in the county of Greater Manchester and Marple is in Stockport. You may want it to be in Cheshire (it once was)  but the FACT is, it isn't now, any more than Manchester is in Lancashire.

sooty2

« Reply #605 on: May 01, 2015, 01:21:31 PM »
I think MIA should be reformed then there's a good chance it might close .and be empty .or it could change to a Neto . When will people stop moaning .and trying to make Marple something it's not and never will be .

Another stupid post Amazon. I'm with Condate and Mikes.

amazon

« Reply #604 on: May 01, 2015, 01:11:07 PM »
If we can't have the Co-op, is it worth having a supermarket in Marple?
Coop wasent a supermarket it was a very expensive convenience store .so we're do you shop .

Condate

« Reply #603 on: May 01, 2015, 12:50:51 PM »
And what is hapening in Marple .do you or don't you want a supermarket if so what what supermarket
Or do you want cafes charity shops .

If we can't have the Co-op, is it worth having a supermarket in Marple?

Condate

« Reply #602 on: May 01, 2015, 12:46:29 PM »
Well maybe the three of you don't have any pride in our community, but a lot more do have and care about what is happening in Marple.

Well said indeed.

amazon

« Reply #601 on: May 01, 2015, 12:19:21 PM »
Well maybe the three of you don't have any pride in our community, but a lot more do have and care about what is happening in Marple.
And what is hapening in Marple .do you or don't you want a supermarket if so what what supermarket
Or do you want cafes charity shops .

mikes

« Reply #600 on: May 01, 2015, 11:46:04 AM »