Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238408 times)

hollins

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #584 on: April 20, 2015, 09:41:31 AM »
Well my household is boycotting ASDA, since it has meant the loss of the Co-op. This does mean going futher for a supermarket, since the nearest decent sized Co-op is in New Mills, but it's worth it. We are still using the local proper shops in Marple of course.

If you are using the local "proper" shops in Marple ... why exactly do you need to go to New Mills?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #583 on: April 19, 2015, 11:01:17 PM »
If you think ASDA are bad check out a book called 'Tescopoly'. Every dirty trick within the retail trade and sordid details of the rise of the Tesco empire is quite an eye-opener.
Of course. I don't shop in Tesco either.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #582 on: April 19, 2015, 10:59:24 PM »
This is a great example of why I often cringe when reading these sorts of campaigning websites.

Some of the "crimes" listed are spot on, and Asda/Wal Mart should be better held to account by the appropriate governments.

However, a lot of the stuff listed is either whingy, tin foil hat nonsense, or is drawing false conclusions from innocuous facts to support their anti Wal Mart agenda. And this generally only serves to undermine their position to any reading it who is coming in with a relatively open mind.
I AM capable of sorting the wheat from the chaff, Exile.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #581 on: April 19, 2015, 10:56:34 PM »
Well my household is boycotting ASDA, since it has meant the loss of the Co-op. This does mean going futher for a supermarket, since the nearest decent sized Co-op is in New Mills, but it's worth it. We are still using the local proper shops in Marple of course.
Me too. Independents in Marple are my first choice but I use the Co-op in Glossop when I need a supermarket - not quite as close as New Mills but I'm there every week.

marplerambler

« Reply #580 on: April 19, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »
So ASDA have erected signs without planning permission, have they?

Quelle surprise!

Didn't someone say "Be careful what you wish for" when all the cheers went up about ASDA coming to Marple?

Thin end of the wedge and all that.

If you think ASDA are bad check out a book called 'Tescopoly'. Every dirty trick within the retail trade and sordid details of the rise of the Tesco empire is quite an eye-opener.

Condate

« Reply #579 on: April 19, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
As far as I can see, the new ASDA is EXTREMELY popular with the people of Marple (including myself).

hollins

« Reply #578 on: April 19, 2015, 09:38:34 PM »
As far as I can see, the new ASDA is EXTREMELY popular with the people of Marple (including myself).

Those who wish to can add to the anti-Walmart tirade. Please leave the rest of us to the relief of being able to shop for foodstuffs at sensible prices after work in the town we live in.

And for goodness sake, get over the green signs and the temporary banners in front of the car park. At least it's better than falling over A-boards on Market Street.

marpleexile

« Reply #577 on: April 19, 2015, 07:04:03 PM »
Before tarring people with this brush you should read this. It might open your eyes.

http://www.corporatewatch.org/company-profiles/asda-wal-mart-corporate-crimes

This is a great example of why I often cringe when reading these sorts of campaigning websites.

Some of the "crimes" listed are spot on, and Asda/Wal Mart should be better held to account by the appropriate governments.

However, a lot of the stuff listed is either whingy, tin foil hat nonsense, or is drawing false conclusions from innocuous facts to support their anti Wal Mart agenda. And this generally only serves to undermine their position to any reading it who is coming in with a relatively open mind.

amazon

« Reply #576 on: April 19, 2015, 03:57:05 PM »
Before tarring people with this brush you should read this. It might open your eyes.

What do people of Marple want some wanted alternative to the coop they now have that .what else would you like.

Cyberman

« Reply #575 on: April 19, 2015, 12:57:44 PM »
On a positive note - on Friday I saw 2 girls wandering round Marple with sandwich boards proclaiming "Your New ASDA store is now open!" 2 new jobs created (OK only briefly). We should be grateful for the rewarding job prospects offered by our American friends.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #574 on: April 19, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
As I said if it were a Booths or a waitrose not a word would have been said and I bet the objections are from those those the did not want a ASDA in the first place ..

amazon

« Reply #573 on: April 18, 2015, 05:05:38 PM »
No, but neither is it their responsibility to go out of their way to deliberately try to see off other businesses.

As I've said elsewhere there is plenty of evidence that ASDA is unscrupulous in their dealings with staff, suppliers and neighbours of their stores.
A lot off the local shops were busy this morning .not a lot different from a normall sat ..neils very busy
Wilsons busy Iceland busy .few in the butchers .

amazon

« Reply #572 on: April 18, 2015, 01:07:14 PM »
I accept most of that but local traders do have to do something to make people make that walk from ASDA and currently many of them don't they sit there expecting customers to just come to them.
As I said if it were a Booths or a waitrose not a word would have been said and I bet the objections are from those those the did not want a ASDA in the first place ..

JMC

« Reply #571 on: April 18, 2015, 12:47:49 PM »
Blimey that enormous green sign facing the Memorial Park entrance is more disgusting than I'd imagined!

Really? I didn't see the big deal when I saw what all the fuss was over.

I do though agree with you about the smiling pensioners. It is one of the first things I noticed when I went in the new ASDA!

wheels

« Reply #570 on: April 18, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »
No, but neither is it their responsibility to go out of their way to deliberately try to see off other businesses.

As I've said elsewhere there is plenty of evidence that ASDA is unscrupulous in their dealings with staff, suppliers and neighbours of their stores.

I accept most of that but local traders do have to do something to make people make that walk from ASDA and currently many of them don't they sit there expecting customers to just come to them.