Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238432 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #464 on: February 20, 2015, 08:19:21 AM »
Scrap man thought it was his birthday yesterday - saw Co-Op trollies piled high on his van in the car park.

They'll have anything that's not tide down, although the trollies were tied down.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #463 on: February 19, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »
Looks like work has begun.
Scrap man thought it was his birthday yesterday - saw Co-Op trollies piled high on his van in the car park.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Duke Fame

« Reply #462 on: February 19, 2015, 11:15:51 AM »
Looks like work has begun.

hollins

« Reply #461 on: February 18, 2015, 10:08:21 AM »
For posterity, here's a photo from Arthur of the Co-Op in better days for comparison with Ruth's:

The usual number of customers then!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #460 on: February 18, 2015, 07:53:29 AM »
For posterity, here's a photo from Arthur of the Co-Op in better days for comparison with Ruth's:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #459 on: February 17, 2015, 05:10:47 PM »
There can't be anything to say about the Marple Supermarket issue that hasn't been said ten times over to the point of tedium. With that in mind, I may as well repeat my wearisome view.

NIMBY'S didn't really feature in this. Anybody who believes that, has no grasp of what was happening at the time. The NO campaigners had a legitimate claim about the supermarket being out of town and having an adverse effect on town centre businesses. This was a held view by many thousands in Marple. As a consequence the Councillors did what they are supposed to do and supported their voters. Or at least the one's that were making their views known.

On this occasion the Councillors actually looked through all the histrionics and devised a plan, It was devious, and there probably will never will be a supermarket on Chadwick Street.

Well who has ever heard of that, devious politicians, what next?
I never thought I'd agree with you on anything, Simonesaffron, but good for you!

Duke Fame

« Reply #458 on: February 17, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »
Allso the bucher the baker .and a few others on the photo with the banner .

There are plenty who were against the plan and all with good reason. I'm suggesting the fibs and massive exaggerations came from just one or two sources and this did not help the message.

simonesaffron

« Reply #457 on: February 17, 2015, 09:56:21 AM »
There can't be anything to say about the Marple Supermarket issue that hasn't been said ten times over to the point of tedium. With that in mind, I may as well repeat my wearisome view.

NIMBY'S didn't really feature in this. Anybody who believes that, has no grasp of what was happening at the time. The NO campaigners had a legitimate claim about the supermarket being out of town and having an adverse effect on town centre businesses. This was a held view by many thousands in Marple. As a consequence the Councillors did what they are supposed to do and supported their voters. Or at least the one's that were making their views known.

On this occasion the Councillors actually looked through all the histrionics and devised a plan, It was devious, and there probably will never will be a supermarket on Chadwick Street.

Well who has ever heard of that, devious politicians, what next?

amazon

« Reply #456 on: February 16, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »
I Suspect Hibbert Lane was shelved in spite of some of the actions of MIA. I did not want ASDA to open on Hibbert lane but found the rumour mill and lies that were coming out of certain activists (Sheila Oliver) hindered the legitimacy of the campaign.
Allso the bucher the baker .and a few others on the photo with the banner .

amazon

« Reply #455 on: February 16, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »
I Suspect Hibbert Lane was shelved in spite of some of the actions of MIA. I did not want ASDA to open on Hibbert lane but found the rumour mill and lies that were coming out of certain activists (Sheila Oliver) hindered the legitimacy of the campaign.
I did say some ware on this forum years ago that Asda would come to Marple .noticed today that the coop car park was full .will it be free now The new estate agent had there car there .as well .

Duke Fame

« Reply #454 on: February 16, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »
The organised opposition to Hibbert Lane was never about anything more than NIMBYism though. Through scaremongering and lies they managed to get enough people to believe that the Swimming Pool would close (and other such nonsense - also known a FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt), to scare the Councillors into manufacturing the Chadwick street fantasy, which put enough of a planning application road block in the way to cause Asda to give up.

It's therefore not surprising that once the Hibbert Lane project died, it all went very quiet. It was never about what was best for Marple, but what was best for various individuals.

Note I'm only talking about the organised opposition to Hibbert Lane. I know that there were a wide range of opinions on the subject, and that people objected to it for many reasons, many of them much more altruistic than the motives I perceived from the likes of MIA and the Councillors.

marpleexile

« Reply #453 on: February 16, 2015, 12:59:23 PM »
In the Marple Spring of 2011 when the community came together to oppose plans by Asda and the College to build a hideous new retail shed I expected it would be an opportunity to forge a new vision for the centre of Marple. Not so. Instead the interest by developers has evaporated and communications on plans for the Co-op site, the surrounding plots and even of Asda itself has been very poor.

The organised opposition to Hibbert Lane was never about anything more than NIMBYism though. Through scaremongering and lies they managed to get enough people to believe that the Swimming Pool would close (and other such nonsense - also known a FUD - Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt), to scare the Councillors into manufacturing the Chadwick street fantasy, which put enough of a planning application road block in the way to cause Asda to give up.

It's therefore not surprising that once the Hibbert Lane project died, it all went very quiet. It was never about what was best for Marple, but what was best for various individuals.

Note I'm only talking about the organised opposition to Hibbert Lane. I know that there were a wide range of opinions on the subject, and that people objected to it for many reasons, many of them much more altruistic than the motives I perceived from the likes of MIA and the Councillors.

Duke Fame

« Reply #452 on: February 16, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »
Read the post over photo old coop marple bridge .

I must admit, I didn't know they still did Emlee, is Tip Top still available?
I'd have thought there were plenty muesli offerings if not exactly alpen branded original (it's full of sugar you know)
extra large eggs non at neils or wilsons - I think you may be nit picking, there are plenty eggs about if not extra large. The lady on Hibbert lane (opp vets) does them fresh out of her hen but the hen doesn't do size to order.
I must admit to being surprised at the lack of tins of beans and spaghetti it's years since I've bought them but is it just the particular brand you struggled with?

amazon

« Reply #451 on: February 15, 2015, 09:17:02 PM »
What were you looking for?

Read the post over photo old coop marple bridge .

Duke Fame

« Reply #450 on: February 15, 2015, 06:43:25 PM »
In the Marple Spring of 2011 when the community came together to oppose plans by Asda and the College to build a hideous new retail shed I expected it would be an opportunity to forge a new vision for the centre of Marple. Not so. Instead the interest by developers has evaporated and communications on plans for the Co-op site, the surrounding plots and even of Asda itself has been very poor.

Speaking to shop staff yesterday they are due to be transferred and retrained as Asda employees and the target date for a new store is the 30th of April. I hope they're going to be OK.

Speaking to shoppers as the shelves emptied they wonder what the whole of the centre will be like and what can be done to make it flow better.

I'll be honest, there was a great deal about the Co-op I didn't like - it was more expensive than most other supermarkets and the range was limited.

It's clear the Co-op brand has taken a battering and the slow death of the Marple store has been tied to larger corporate problems, but the local civic gain has been positive. Will Asda be as generous? So far their silence has been deafening, but then it's early days.

The Civic Society have been active citizens doing some excellent work. Our Labour Party street stalls and surveys have identified an appetite to contribute to something better locally. We're keen to progress this and would urge local people to put pressure on our councillors to work a lot harder for our community.
- See more at: http://themarpleleaf.blogspot.co.uk/#sthash.CXAWhTtG.dpuf

Asda don;t have to be generous, they are not in the game to be generous. It is however, a great opportunity for the independent shops to make hay and prove their worth.

I really don't think  it's the place of local councillors or wannabe Mp's (sorry Michael, you know I don;t like the big state ideology of Liebour) to decide what shops are available in the town. If there are private investors / developers, no obstacles should be put in their way to come forward and develop the centre but in reality, there is not a lot wrong with the offer in Marple.