Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238562 times)

rsh

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #419 on: February 10, 2015, 03:54:52 PM »
Looks like an "advertisement" planning app has gone in too - DC/057703? Nothing viewable online yet though, shows on the map but not listings.

Lily

« Reply #418 on: February 10, 2015, 03:41:03 PM »

hollins

« Reply #417 on: February 10, 2015, 03:09:10 PM »
I've been asked by someone who lives near the Co-Op to publicise this licence application posted by Asda recently:

I'm not sure why this should cause anyone angst - the Co-op currently sells alcohol between 7am and 10pm: putting an extra hour at the start and end of the day in the license application is probably just to cover them if somebody with a faulty watch is opening or closing the store. Neither the Co-op nor ASDA will be able to open more than 6 hours on a Sunday.

marpleexile

« Reply #416 on: February 10, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »
@marpleexile Understood. Hence my use of the phrase "may". Personally, I don't understand why a business wouldn't want to make their premises accessible.

Largely it is down to cost in most cases. If the adjustments are going to cost thousands rather than hundreds, and your margins are small and/or you don't think you are missing out on much business, then it's easy to see why some businesses would think it's not worth their effort/would be an unnecessary cost to the business.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #415 on: February 10, 2015, 02:16:17 PM »
Howard, I don't believe local Councils have any role in the enforcement of the DDA. As this fact sheet from one of the London boroughs states " there is no enforcement or regulatory body". It is up to individuals or representative organisations to complain, sue etc.

http://www.rbkc.gov.uk/planningandconservation/applicationsanddecisions/idoc.ashx?docid=12cc7143-abb5-4192-bc56-ec7b08b90887&version=1

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #414 on: February 10, 2015, 02:15:39 PM »
I've been asked by someone who lives near the Co-Op to publicise this licence application posted by Asda recently:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Howard

« Reply #413 on: February 10, 2015, 01:03:56 PM »
@marpleexile Understood. Hence my use of the phrase "may". Personally, I don't understand why a business wouldn't want to make their premises accessible.

marpleexile

« Reply #412 on: February 10, 2015, 12:51:39 PM »
@amazon If someone you know has a problem with steps, they may have a case for complaint under the 2004 Disability Discrimination Act where businesses and organisations are required to make reasonable physical adjustments to their premises to assist disabled users. The businesses and organisations affected include shops, banks, libraries, places of worship, restaurants, and schools. They may have to make changes like building ramps to replace stairs, widening door-ways, or having Braille signs or menus. Many big businesses have already made changes. For example, look at the Natwest in Marple.

As I understand it, compliance is enforced through the local authority so you might want to start there.

The key word there is "reasonable". The DDA doesn't require changes, it requires reasonable changes. If the business owner can demonstrate that there is no reasonable adjustment they can make, then they don't have to make an adjustment. The cost/benefit of any such adjustment can be considered.

amazon

« Reply #411 on: February 10, 2015, 12:30:51 PM »
@amazon If someone you know has a problem with steps, they may have a case for complaint under the 2004 Disability Discrimination Act where businesses and organisations are required to make reasonable physical adjustments to their premises to assist disabled users. The businesses and organisations affected include shops, banks, libraries, places of worship, restaurants, and schools. They may have to make changes like building ramps to replace stairs, widening door-ways, or having Braille signs or menus. Many big businesses have already made changes. For example, look at the Natwest in Marple.

As I understand it, compliance is enforced through the local authority so you might want to start there.
Look at the jewelers facing RBS ..

Howard

« Reply #410 on: February 10, 2015, 12:15:19 PM »
Coops flat. maket street is not. some of the shops have large steps .

amazon

« Reply #409 on: February 10, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
Like others, with some exceptions, I cannot really see a great difference in terms of physical agility in walking around the co-op against walking around the local shops in Marple.

If nothing else it will move us out of that sanitised, supermarket atmosphere.

It will be very interesting to see what effect the absence of a long standing supermarket has on the community as a whole. I suspect that many of us could be pleasantly surprised.
Coops flat maket street is not some of the shops have large steps .

Duke Fame

« Reply #408 on: February 10, 2015, 09:12:58 AM »
Funnily enough, that's the complete opposite of what we were told when Asda wanted to open at Hibbert Lane. We were assured by Miss Marple (remember her?) that Asda would kill off these shops.

I remember Miss Marple bringing in her friend Sheila Oliver who made Miss Marple appear sane and grounded.

I don't think there is a contradiction, it was argued that Hibbert lane would kill the local shops as it would suck trade out of the centre. I think that is concurrent with the argument that this little period of being supermarket -free will prove the point.

simonesaffron

« Reply #407 on: February 10, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »
Like others, with some exceptions, I cannot really see a great difference in terms of physical agility in walking around the co-op against walking around the local shops in Marple.

If nothing else it will move us out of that sanitised, supermarket atmosphere.

It will be very interesting to see what effect the absence of a long standing supermarket has on the community as a whole. I suspect that many of us could be pleasantly surprised.   

Bowden Guy

« Reply #406 on: February 09, 2015, 09:18:55 PM »
There is very little difference in walking from fish man, greengrocer, to discount guy,  to butcher, to Iceland, to bakery when compared to covering the aisles at the coop.

Funnily enough, that's the complete opposite of what we were told when Asda wanted to open at Hibbert Lane. We were assured by Miss Marple (remember her?) that Asda would kill off these shops.

amazon

« Reply #405 on: February 09, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »
I wonder if the Co-op at New Mills is staying?  I might have to go down there.
YES .theres one at A6 facing collage Berycroft lane Bredbury one on Bosdon fold somewere.  Glossop rail station .theres five large ones closing .but no more round hear /