To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238522 times)

mikes

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #404 on: February 09, 2015, 08:49:11 PM »
I wonder if the Co-op at New Mills is staying?  I might have to go down there.

Barbara

« Reply #403 on: February 09, 2015, 01:25:57 PM »
Bit ironic today - I got a £1 off voucher if you spend £10.  Got to find £10 worth of things to buy first!   ;)

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2015, 01:04:20 PM »
There is very little difference in walking from fish man, greengrocer, to discount guy,  to butcher, to Iceland, to bakery when compared to covering the aisles at the coop.
Exactly!

Duke Fame

« Reply #401 on: February 06, 2015, 08:10:16 AM »
For us able bodied people you are right but if you were unsteady on your feet, didn't have full mobility then you would find it hard getting round all the different shops. just look at the number of people who shop at the co-op who have a limp, use a stick, have poor eye sight. Never mind them having to squeeze into say Iceland. Our local shops are not geared up to serving large quantities of people. Please look after any elderly neighbours, they could probably do with some help shopping over the next 8 weeks.

There is very little difference in walking from fish man, greengrocer, to discount guy,  to butcher, to Iceland, to bakery when compared to covering the aisles at the coop.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #400 on: February 05, 2015, 11:47:32 PM »
For us able bodied people you are right but if you were unsteady on your feet, didn't have full mobility then you would find it hard getting round all the different shops. just look at the number of people who shop at the co-op who have a limp, use a stick, have poor eye sight. Never mind them having to squeeze into say Iceland. Our local shops are not geared up to serving large quantities of people. Please look after any elderly neighbours, they could probably do with some help shopping over the next 8 weeks.
Oh do get a grip, Victor. There are queues in Supermarkets at busy times. What do you think we did before S/markets? We queued in an orderly fashion if the shop was busy or we went at a time when we knew that they wouldn't be busy. Are you expecting carrot riots if people have to wait to be served in Neal's? Are you anticipating bouncers on the door at Iceland?

(And I'm a pensioner who uses a stick.)

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #399 on: February 05, 2015, 11:13:55 PM »
I already do, as well as volunteering at a local charity, giving my services free at local children's sporting events, why do you always think the worse Henrietta?

I was just pointing out that there is some very vulnerable people in our community who will find it hard not having a supermarket for 8 weeks.
I apologise for misjudging you but I wasn't aware that I "always think the worse". Interesting to know that.

And I was pointing out that Marple without a supermarket for 8 weeks will not be a desert with  pensioners (of which I am one) starving to death in the gutter on Hollins Lane.

EmmyJane Designs

« Reply #398 on: February 05, 2015, 09:22:39 PM »
I noticed many times the butchers (both) and staff at' Nealds fruit and veg' always come out to help anyone with a disability.
Also I'm guessing that if you were to put in a big enough order to any local shops, they would ensure you got a delivery.

amazon

« Reply #397 on: February 05, 2015, 09:17:58 PM »
Agree with you there re elderly my wife is waiting for hip replacement going through the process stepping hill at the moment /so it has really brought it home to me how the infirm
strugle they will miss the taxi stoping at the door coop /but its not staying closed for very long it will be reopening .

Victor M

« Reply #396 on: February 05, 2015, 08:48:22 PM »
The point being is it will not be hard at all.

Duke Fame

« Reply #395 on: February 05, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
I already do, as well as volunteering at a local charity, giving my services free at local children's sporting events, why do you always think the worse Henrietta?

I was just pointing out that there is some very vulnerable people in our community who will find it hard not having a supermarket for 8 weeks.

The point being is it will not be hard at all.

Duke Fame

« Reply #394 on: February 05, 2015, 08:36:41 PM »
You will indeed but in common with other supermarkets, Asda's fish will have wandered all round the country from supplier to main distribution centre to local distribution centre before it gets anywhere near Marple. The fishmonger on Market Street gets his fish virtually from the quay.  And if Asda's wet fish counter is as stinky and the fish as "tired" looking as that in the Morrisons in Hyde the last time I was in there, the fishmonger on Market Street has nothing to worry about!

The fish counter in Moggy's is about a day fresher than Asda. As you say, fish quay yo distribution centre to packing , to store does not fresh fish make. Moggy's had the shortest supply chain of all the biggies but none will have been over to 'umberside that morning in the way the proper fish mongers operate.

Duke Fame

« Reply #393 on: February 05, 2015, 08:31:49 PM »
What worries me is that there are a large number of elderly people in Marple who walk to the co-op to do a small shop and although they could buy many of the items from a local independent shop there are lots of other essentials that they won't be able to buy easily. e.g. Washing up liquid, detergent, cereals, biscuits etc.

8 weeks is a long time to be shut.

Iceland will do all those, all cheaper than the Co-op and Asda for that matter.

amazon

« Reply #392 on: February 05, 2015, 07:52:21 PM »
He the fishmonger also gets his electricity from the bulls head via an open window. I am sure the fish in asda will be fly free.
But he pays for his electric via a meter .

red666bear

« Reply #391 on: February 05, 2015, 07:31:28 PM »
You will indeed but in common with other supermarkets, Asda's fish will have wandered all round the country from supplier to main distribution centre to local distribution centre before it gets anywhere near Marple. The fishmonger on Market Street gets his fish virtually from the quay.  And if Asda's wet fish counter is as stinky and the fish as "tired" looking as that in the Morrisons in Hyde the last time I was in there, the fishmonger on Market Street has nothing to worry about!
He the fishmonger also gets his electricity from the bulls head via an open window. I am sure the fish in asda will be fly free.

Victor M

« Reply #390 on: February 05, 2015, 06:14:08 PM »
And if you are so concerned about Marple's old people and their shopping will you be volunteering to do their shopping for them when you go out of the village to do yours? Or to give them a lift into the village?