Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238423 times)

amazon

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #344 on: December 17, 2014, 09:46:58 PM »
Great roll on February .or even sooner .

14 feb they take over ....

amazon

« Reply #343 on: November 28, 2014, 05:10:12 PM »
Competition and Markets Authority case CMA clearance decision....

28 November 2014: The CMA has cleared the anticipated acquisition by Asda Stores Limited of 5 grocery stores and 3 petrol filling stations from Co-operative Group Limited. The full text of the decision will be available shortly.
https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/asda-stores-limited-co-operative-group-limited-5-stores

Great roll on February .or even sooner .

curlywurly

« Reply #342 on: November 28, 2014, 04:01:18 PM »
Competition and Markets Authority case CMA clearance decision....

28 November 2014: The CMA has cleared the anticipated acquisition by Asda Stores Limited of 5 grocery stores and 3 petrol filling stations from Co-operative Group Limited. The full text of the decision will be available shortly.
https://www.gov.uk/cma-cases/asda-stores-limited-co-operative-group-limited-5-stores

amazon

« Reply #341 on: November 19, 2014, 03:37:10 PM »
An interesting link from curlyworly.  As the nearest existing Asda is in Hazel Grove, I would be surprised if this was regarded as 'a substantial lessening of competition'.

yes your right Marple is no exactly saturated with supermarkets .

Dave

« Reply #340 on: November 19, 2014, 11:24:27 AM »
An interesting link from curlyworly.  As the nearest existing Asda is in Hazel Grove, I would be surprised if this was regarded as 'a substantial lessening of competition'.

curlywurly

« Reply #339 on: November 17, 2014, 08:24:27 PM »
So not much longer to wait........... Decision due 28 November 2014.   
The (CMA) Competition and Markets Authority is investigating the anticipated acquisition by Asda Stores Limited of 5 grocery stores from Co-operative Group Limited.

Duke Fame

« Reply #338 on: September 29, 2014, 03:36:01 PM »
For Simone and Wheels benefit:-

Asda - has - a - plan - to - move - into - the - "con-ven-ience" - market - this - includes - smaller - local - town - super-markets - as - well - as - small - garage - forecourt - shops - perhaps - this - is - their - plan - for - Marple.

I've put the above into words of as few syllables as possible but I can translate it into French, German, Welsh or Spanish if you would find one of those easier to understand.

For the rest of the world - In 2010 there was a Dow Jones report of an interview with a Walmart spokeswoman which stated categorically that Asda would be concentrating on opening smaller stores in the UK as part of its long term game plan. I was suggesting that, perhaps, Asda's purchase of the Co-op's smaller supermarkets (of which Marple is one) may be part of that strategy. They have already re-opened a small store in Sheffield in one of the premises they bought from Netto and intend continuing with more of the same.

I hope that is now clear.

Their Netto stores have all been transferred to Asda or sold off. There will be a lot of tooing & froing on the purchase of any hypermarket site as there are now planning issues surrounding any new hypermarket as there is a (too little too late) concern about the impact on existing and established high streets.

The strategy to aim at smaller stores is driven by the lack of hypermarket sites available.

amazon

« Reply #337 on: September 28, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »
I thought it was Reddish

Ok reddish then does it really matter most people know we're whicks is anyway ....

alison

« Reply #336 on: September 28, 2014, 09:49:30 AM »
I thought it was Reddish

You are both kind of right. It's officially Reddish, near Wickes and Halfords. I drive past it every day. Its opening in the next two weeks and the floor space is big but not anywhere near the size of the stockport superstore. Its probably about the size of the Asda in Hazel Grove. It looks like about a third of the space has been given over to George.

Anyhoo, back to Marple....

Duke Fame

« Reply #335 on: September 28, 2014, 12:02:03 AM »
So why are they opening a large supermarket at hillgate . That's near Wicks .

I thought it was Reddish

amazon

« Reply #334 on: September 26, 2014, 07:23:32 PM »

Asda - has - a - plan - to - move - into - the - "con-ven-ience" - market - this - includes - smaller - local - town - super-markets - as - well - as - small - garage - forecourt - shops - perhaps - this - is - their - plan - for - Marple.

I've put the above into words of as few syllables as possible but I can translate it into French, German, Welsh or Spanish if you would find one of those easier to understand.

For the rest of the world - In 2010 there was a Dow Jones report of an interview with a Walmart spokeswoman which stated categorically that Asda would be concentrating on opening smaller stores in the UK as part of its long term game plan. I was suggesting that, perhaps, Asda's purchase of the Co-op's smaller supermarkets (of which Marple is one) may be part of that strategy. They have already re-opened a small store in Sheffield in one of the premises they bought from Netto and intend continuing with more of the same.

So why are they opening a large supermarket at hillgate . That's near Wicks .

simonesaffron

« Reply #333 on: September 26, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »
As I said 'perplexing.'

I think that it is highly unlikely that Asda are going to purchase a 17,000 square feet store and turn it into a 4000 square feet store.

Thanks for the offers of the translations login but your hypothesis might make more sense if you translated it into Mandarin Chinese. 

Dave

« Reply #332 on: September 26, 2014, 02:48:17 PM »
Useful definitions here:  http://www.igd.com/our-expertise/Retail/Convenience/3369/Convenience-Retailing-Market-Overview/

In the UK, a convenience store is defined as being under 3,000 sq.ft trading area.  Anything bigger than that is subject to the six-hour restriction on Sunday opening hours. 

Harry

« Reply #331 on: September 26, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »
I think that Asda's plan is to move into the convenience store market, as have Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons, in addition to having larger supermarkets. This is in contrast to the co-op who have stated that they are moving solely to convenience stores.

A convenience store tends to be up to approx 4,000 sq ft. Marple's Co-op is 17,000 sq ft. Obviously a supermarket as its far too large to be classed as a convenience store.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #330 on: September 26, 2014, 12:58:32 PM »
With Simone on this your not making any sense at all H.