Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238390 times)

Bowden Guy

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #254 on: August 25, 2014, 09:36:05 AM »
I really wish Marple could acquire an Aldi. Excellent quality food at a price that is substantially less than Tesco, Sainsbury's, Morrisons et al. Since joining the "Aldi revolution" we are saving an absolute fortune.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #252 on: August 25, 2014, 12:44:51 AM »
There's a brand new Asda opening near wicks . They must have some money
????

Duke Fame

« Reply #251 on: August 18, 2014, 11:07:23 PM »
Crumbs! Whoever takes on the propety will have to have a hefty turn over to cover 30K pa rent

Yep, I can't imagine anyone will pay that. With rates, a 45pc margin that's 80k before paying anything else. I can only see a fast food outlet doing that from that outlet. Nobody will pay that and survive.

amazon

« Reply #250 on: August 17, 2014, 04:57:04 PM »
Time was when I could walk from the bottom of Buxton Lane to the centre of Marple. Can't now due to an accident. On a good day I can make it to the bus stop on Hibbert Lane but the bus only runs hourly and the to and fro timings are not very convenient for a quick nip into the village. If you are prepared to do my shopping, collect my prescriptions and attend to any other business I have in the  village I'll willingly stop using my car. It would save me a lot of money. In fact I usually attend to any business I have in the village when I'm on my way to somewhere else so in my case and very probably that of many other people who drive into Marple's shopping and business centre, your argument is specious.
There's a brand new Asda opening near wicks . They must have some money

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #249 on: August 17, 2014, 01:22:15 AM »
For those of us with sufficient recall it is worthy of remembrance that the anti- Hibbert Lane argument was that the proposed supermarket 'was out of town' and that this would have the effect of drawing people away from the centre and not bringing them in. It was said at the time that such a siting would have a negative implication for local traders and may even put some of them out of business and in its worst scene, finish Marple centre off altogether.

Even with this proposal there was still a traffic issue although it was more one of traffic than one of parking.

Wheels has been batting on about this years and he is right, it is a community issue and not a council one. It's the community itself that causes the traffic/parking problems by their point blank insistence on taking their car on every conceivable journey they make, and many of these journeys could be comfortably carried out by foot/bike.

I am as guilty as the next person in doing this but from today I'm going to make a conscious effort to re-think my car journeys.   
Time was when I could walk from the bottom of Buxton Lane to the centre of Marple. Can't now due to an accident. On a good day I can make it to the bus stop on Hibbert Lane but the bus only runs hourly and the to and fro timings are not very convenient for a quick nip into the village. If you are prepared to do my shopping, collect my prescriptions and attend to any other business I have in the  village I'll willingly stop using my car. It would save me a lot of money. In fact I usually attend to any business I have in the village when I'm on my way to somewhere else so in my case and very probably that of many other people who drive into Marple's shopping and business centre, your argument is specious.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #248 on: August 17, 2014, 01:07:44 AM »
Co-op estates here:  http://www.co-operative.coop/estates/propertysearch/Marple---Unit-1-The-Hollins/

Mr B Booze is staying having renegotiated with the landlord as the landlord was a bit greedy before.
Crumbs! Whoever takes on the propety will have to have a hefty turn over to cover 30K pa rent

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #247 on: August 17, 2014, 12:58:39 AM »
The very last thing Marple needs is more parking.
No, but I bet Asda does.

Barbara

« Reply #246 on: August 14, 2014, 04:12:35 PM »
So the unit next to Costa is shown as 'under offer' - wonder who will come there?

Duke Fame

« Reply #245 on: August 14, 2014, 02:50:01 PM »
Thought mr B Booze was moving the boards now been taken down .how can one find out who owns
This property . Or in fact any property . Remember the coop used to be we're M and Co is now .they may still own that block of shops and offices above .....

Co-op estates here:  http://www.co-operative.coop/estates/propertysearch/Marple---Unit-1-The-Hollins/

Mr B Booze is staying having renegotiated with the landlord as the landlord was a bit greedy before.

amazon

« Reply #244 on: August 14, 2014, 02:47:15 PM »
The aethetically pleasing issue should have been addressed when it was built (Local authority I believe) , now it's up to the owners of the building as to when they think a complete change is needed. I doubt very much that Mr B Booze would agree that he's better off elsewhere, nor for that matter Mr C Coffee or Greggs.

Thought mr B Booze was moving the boards now been taken down .how can one find out who owns
This property . Or in fact any property . Remember the coop used to be we're M and Co is now .they may still own that block of shops and offices above .....

Duke Fame

« Reply #243 on: August 14, 2014, 10:40:57 AM »
Not guilty, M'Lud.   :D  This thread has rightly included references to the possible implications for nearby shops of the sale of the Co-op to Asda.  A few days ago, Henrietta suggested that the Hollins might be affected:  I then commented on the (lack of) architectural merits of the Hollins, and took issue with Duke's assertion that buildings do not need to be 'aesthetically pleasing'.   That discussion is relevant to this thread; the party I vote for isn't, and is none of Duke's business. 

The aethetically pleasing issue should have been addressed when it was built (Local authority I believe) , now it's up to the owners of the building as to when they think a complete change is needed. I doubt very much that Mr B Booze would agree that he's better off elsewhere, nor for that matter Mr C Coffee or Greggs.

Dave

« Reply #242 on: August 14, 2014, 07:44:53 AM »
I'd say you were as guilty as anyone for wavering.
Not guilty, M'Lud.   :D  This thread has rightly included references to the possible implications for nearby shops of the sale of the Co-op to Asda.  A few days ago, Henrietta suggested that the Hollins might be affected:
Who owns the shops facing Stockport road? I understand that the old Hanbury's store belongs to the Co-op -- do the rest? If they do it's easy to understand Asda's interest in the existing Co-op site. 
I then commented on the (lack of) architectural merits of the Hollins, and took issue with Duke's assertion that buildings do not need to be 'aesthetically pleasing'.   That discussion is relevant to this thread; the party I vote for isn't, and is none of Duke's business. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #241 on: August 13, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
Those are indeed assumptions, inaccurate ones as it happens,  for which there is not a shred of evidence.

As for this: My point was purely about architecture - that Stalinist and brutalist architecture, which was a feature of those countries (and many others) at that time, was ugly.  I said nothing about 'the Soviet Union and East European model of the post war period' being a failure or a success for that matter.

Is it too much to expect that for once we could stay on topic and Duke could keep his political hobby-horses to himself? 

I love the 3rd person speak Davey.

The topic has somewhat removed from the sale of the Co-op Dave, I'd say you were as guilty as anyone for wavering.

In short, I think it's down to the owners of the building as to when they think a complete change is needed. I dopubt very much that Mr B Booze would agree that he's better off elsewhere, nor for that matter Mr C Coffee or Greggs.

amazon

« Reply #240 on: August 13, 2014, 02:33:40 PM »
Well for me it can't come soon enough. Got back from holiday Sunday night and needed a shop on Monday for fresh stuff (fruit, veg, bread etc). I was in a rush so I decided to go to the Co-op instead of run around the local shops. At least 30% of the fruit & veg was empty; for example, no brown onions and no green apples. These are STAPLES and they didn't have them. There were huge gaps in the coffee section and no large packs of medium eggs. Plain yoghurt section had no co-op own brand leaving only brand names.

I'm not sure if they're running the place down and the staff don't care whether or not their customers shop there or not but I have rarely seen any Asda like this.

It was the same Monday morning .dont know why they bother opening Mondays ....running it down no it's always like this Mondays .even before We new Asda was coming .even Wilson's have more Veg .on Mondays