A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238374 times)

MarpleRes

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #164 on: July 25, 2014, 12:02:55 AM »
I don't mind you having opinions but I do mind you getting facts wrong. Local Authorities have not had any control or involvement in/over housing allocations for many years now. As you say that's a fact.

I didn't specify a time but the point is that the town has declined over the years and in my opinion having an Asda here isn't going to improve things. I do concede that I was a bit over the top in my comments about Memorial Park though. It isn't as bad as I made out so I retract that. Believe it or not I like Marple and most of the people I know who live here. The bad eggs are few but it worries me that some people seem pleased to be getting an Asda. Is it wrong or snooty to aspire to something better?

wheels

« Reply #163 on: July 24, 2014, 11:27:29 PM »
I don't mind you having opinions but I do mind you getting facts wrong. Local Authorities have not had any control or involvement in/over housing allocations for many years now. As you say that's a fact.

MarpleRes

« Reply #162 on: July 24, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »
And this attitude, my friends, is why Marple gets its reputation of being snobbish and elitist. "Social engineering" and "rapid decline"...what are you on about? The true indicator of how desirable a place is to live is house prices which are holding up extremely well in the area. Marple is in a fantastic area for outdoor pursuits, has extremely well-attended sporting clubs (football, rugby, swimming), a vibrant Scouting and Guiding movement and many other things to recommend it. Doing the place down just because Asda is coming here to replace a moribund Co-op is pathetic.

First of all let me say that the only pathetic thing on here is the bully boy attitude and name calling directed towards anybody who dares to post an opposing view to your own. I'm not a regular contributor and don't intend to be, I just came back out of interest to see how much vitriol I had generated and I wasn't disappointed. All I can say is that I have lived in Marple most of my life and it has gone downhill. Call it snobbish if you like, names from bigoted trolls hiding behind computer screens isn't going to hurt me, but if your house being burgled, your car being vandalised, your family being verbally abused in the street by yobs just for walking past, most of the decent shops closing and being replaced by pound shops, charity shops and Asda is your idea of a fantastic area then good for you. I'm not saying that Marple is all bad, it does have some very good things going for it as you say, but believe me, Asda will not be putting anything in the plus column. The co-op isn't great either but if you really want to live in an area that other people aspire to visit and/or live in there were much better outcomes that could have happened. If wanting to live in a nice, peaceful area with decent shops is negative and snooty then thats me. And if you want to know about social engineering look into the council's policy of moving problem families out of sink estates into 'nicer' areas such as Marple in the often misguided hope that they will lift their standards. Some may very well do, but if a mob of those that don't are moved into the house next to you I wonder if you will still feel you are living in a fantastic area. Asda targets poor areas. Fact. That it has targeted Marple demonstrates that Marple has slipped or is seen as slipping towards that category. OK thats it. Let the name calling and cheap shots begin again, though before you do, I suggest you visit the Memorial Park (if you can get through all the dog muck and discarded Greggs' bags) and spend a moment contemplating those who gave their lives to defend my right and yours to have an opinion and a voice.

marpleexile

« Reply #161 on: June 20, 2014, 04:48:46 PM »
It will be interesting to review the situation in a years time. Asda/Walmart have a reputation for taking on existing staff under their former terms and conditions and then reneging on this down the line.

Asda are legally required under TUPE regulations to honour the existing contracts of employment. They can't "renege" on this.

However, they still have all the normal options open to an employer, so I would imagine that the good staff will get managed upwards, and the poor staff will get managed out.

Duke Fame

« Reply #160 on: June 20, 2014, 12:11:40 PM »
It will be interesting to review the situation in a years time. Asda/Walmart have a reputation for taking on existing staff under their former terms and conditions and then reneging on this down the line.

Does that effect the price of milk?

On the face of it, I don't get the impression the staff at the coop are working at full capacity all the time.

Rachael

« Reply #159 on: June 20, 2014, 10:25:26 AM »
I would go and speak to the the people who work at Asda  Hazel Grove store during the day time, you will find that the majority of them 4 years later after being taken over   are ex co op staff, I do not think the staff at Marple Co op have anything to worry about when it comes to their jobs. What will change with thier jobs,  is the level of customer service they have to give, which will have to increase ten fold .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #158 on: June 20, 2014, 01:33:42 AM »
All the staff have been given increase in wages and stiil have there ten percent on what they buy ....

Duke Fame

« Reply #157 on: June 19, 2014, 05:09:42 PM »
Whilst I dont rate the Co-op very highly, I rate ASDA even less.  It is cheap and crap, I will not be going.  I am really quite annoyed that ASDA are coming to Marple!!!!

The biggest argument in favour of Asda in Hibbert lane was that the co-op was expensive. It pretty much ticks all the boxes to see Asda taking over from the Co-op. As for quality, supermarkets share suppliers, so when it comes to selling *rap (and that's swearing) it's across the board. When the horsemeat scandal hit, you will recall most supermarkets got caught out, IRC only Morrisons and Iceland had a clean bill of health.

Supermarkets are a compromise, you will find better frut & veg, better bread, better stationery, better fish, better meat and better booze in Marple than ANY of the supermarkets. If Asda do clothing you'll find better clothes throughout the town but alas, we're all a bit lazy at times and we will shop at Asda when it comes.

LouiseHaig

« Reply #156 on: June 19, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
Your in a minority . Can't wait . And don't swear .

I didnt swear....  I think you meant instead of 'your' - either You are, or You're....

amazon

« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2014, 09:33:01 PM »
Whilst I dont rate the Co-op very highly, I rate ASDA even less.  It is cheap and crap, I will not be going.  I am really quite annoyed that ASDA are coming to Marple!!!!

Your in a minority . Can't wait . And don't swear .

LouiseHaig

« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:09 PM »

amazon

« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2014, 02:01:51 PM »
I think it's interesting that there has only been that one strange post from MarpleRes...... Perhaps she they have left town already.
Could be printing banners we want Asda at the ridge .

wheels

« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2014, 09:35:36 AM »
I think it's interesting that there has only been that one strange post from MarpleRes...... Perhaps she they have left town already.

Dave

« Reply #151 on: June 16, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
Having taken a look at that Facebook page I see what Howard means, and clearly such attitudes do exist, although my instinct is not to take  those Facebook posters not MarpleRes very seriously.  ::)

Howard

« Reply #150 on: June 16, 2014, 04:56:29 PM »
Those attitudes were well to the fore in the Hibbert Lane debate with accusations of eliteism and snobbishness flying around. It wasn't necessarily on this forum as those comments were very quickly removed at the height of the debate. However. if you are a Facebook user, I invite you to view the "Yes to Asda on Hibbert Lane" group which is at https://www.facebook.com/yesmarple. Those phrases, or equivalents, fly thick and fast on there and still prevail as news of the co-op sale to Asda broke.

Whether valid or not, the views of MarpleRes certainly won't help to convince anyone that these attitudes don't exist.