Cole and Fox Interior Design Marple | Romiley | Stockport

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238400 times)

amazon

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
The sale doesn't include the petrol station, and apparently Waitrose were in the mix too to purchase it.
(according to the lady who served me today).

The coop at Marple doesn't have a petrol station .are Asda buying the small coop with the petrol station .at the bot am of Marple as well ... Think you may be a bit mixed up with this .

ROTHERS

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2014, 07:59:37 PM »
The sale doesnt include the petrol station, and apparently Waitrose were in the mix too to purchase it.
(according to the lady who served me today).

amazon

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »
I've never been that impressed by the Co-op, and look forward to it being sold to Asda, although I would'nt mind any of the big supermarkets as any of them would stock a better range than the Co-op. Personally I would have welcomed a bigger Asda at Hibbert Lane, although that no doubt puts me in a minority. 

No idont think so .it would have kept it out of the centre of marple . Not every body would have gone up there
So really it's a bit of a Back fire really .if it had been passed without all the protests we won't know really know

Dave

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2014, 03:18:21 PM »
Personally I would have welcomed a bigger Asda at Hibbert Lane, although that no doubt puts me in a minority. 

Nobody knows, nipper - but if it is a minority there's at least two of us in it!  The biggest plus of the Hibbert Lane site, IMO, would have been the petrol station, which would have had a beneficial effect on the extortionate fuel prices which we put up with in Marple! 

nipper14

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2014, 02:31:06 PM »
I've never been that impressed by the Co-op, and look forward to it being sold to Asda, although I would'nt mind any of the big supermarkets as any of them would stock a better range than the Co-op. Personally I would have welcomed a bigger Asda at Hibbert Lane, although that no doubt puts me in a minority. 

Barbara

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »
I enquired about the bank staff this morning, and was told by one of them that they are being transferred to other branches, so at least they are not losing their jobs.  Pity about losing the branch though, it has been very useful.

Duke Fame

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2014, 12:04:38 PM »
I think it's fine. I have little time for the Co-op and their politics so pretty happy to see another store take it.

I'm sure this has been posted: http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/north-west/115984-co-op-sell-five-stores-asda

Duke Fame

« Reply #67 on: June 05, 2014, 06:15:06 PM »
So you don't think ita a good idea then Duke .

I think it's fine. I have little time for the Co-op and their politics so pretty happy to see another store take it.

amazon

« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2014, 05:02:15 PM »
That's good for everyone then, better supermarket and not too much more traffic
So you don't think ita a good idea then Duke .

amazon

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2014, 05:00:40 PM »
This is just a query, before anyone jumps down my throat!  Does the car park actually belong to the Co-op?  I seem to remember there was some controversy about this a few years back. 

Don't think they do own it . But they will have gone into this before purchasing the coop .

Barbara

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2014, 04:41:03 PM »
This is just a query, before anyone jumps down my throat!  Does the car park actually belong to the Co-op?  I seem to remember there was some controversy about this a few years back. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2014, 04:32:16 PM »
That's good for everyone then, better supermarket and not too much more traffic

amazon

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »
The Co-op store is poorly managed which is a shame as it's products and range are good. However, the Asda conversion of the Hazel Grove Co-op is badly done. They have crammed in all their range of products - clothes, toys, etc - and this has left a limited range of food. The fresh chiller section and fruit & vegetables are very small. I certainly can't use the store for a weekly family shop.

I do hope that the Marple store is better or there is only a small improvement to our shopping choices. Better stocked, surely, but I'll be sticking to Sainsbury's in Hazel Grove and Aldi in Romiley otherwise. I'll continue to use the local butchers and green grocers regardless of the store conversion.

Asda are supposed to be taking over in September .any further info 0800 068 6727  .thats the number I was given this morning in the coop .for info .

Middle wood

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2014, 10:31:02 PM »
The Co-op store is poorly managed which is a shame as it's products and range are good. However, the Asda conversion of the Hazel Grove Co-op is badly done. They have crammed in all their range of products - clothes, toys, etc - and this has left a limited range of food. The fresh chiller section and fruit & vegetables are very small. I certainly can't use the store for a weekly family shop.

I do hope that the Marple store is better or there is only a small improvement to our shopping choices. Better stocked, surely, but I'll be sticking to Sainsbury's in Hazel Grove and Aldi in Romiley otherwise. I'll continue to use the local butchers and green grocers regardless of the store conversion.

Harry

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2014, 09:09:46 PM »
I think you'll find that the Co-op will change quite significantly following its recent huge losses. It has to.

The strategy, as far as I have gleaned, is to sell off the larger stores (they've admitted they can't compete) and concentrate on convenience stores, sell off the pharmacies and even sell their farming interests. I don't know about the bank.

It appears that they see the future as being in competition to Spar, but without the franchise model.