Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA  (Read 238414 times)

Water Rat

Re: Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 10:33:45 PM »
I agree that the main opposition to ASDA and Tesco were based on the proposed location on the college site and that appears not to be compromised by a change of ownership from the Co-op to ASDA.  The Co-op are going through a severe retrenchment at the present time including selling off many of their farms plus the well-published banking problems.

Perhaps the way forward would be to resurrect the original Compstall Co-operative Society and then we could have the shops back in Compstall, Marple, Marple Bridge, Romiley, Hawk Green etc.  We might even get a Heritage Lottery Grant  :)

amazon

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »
You may want to call it "delicate commercial negotiations", Wheels,  :-\ but there are many people who wouldn't want Asda in Marple anywhere, and I consider that members should be notified of major developments within the Co-op.  Selling off flagship stores to a Walmart subsidiary (and Marple is not the only one) is a major development!   >:(
Anyway I've checked and it seems that all the staff were called into a meeting to be told about the offer, so it must be out of the period of delicate negotiations. :o
What reason would people not want Asda in Marple . Or any other supermarket ......

amazon

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »
This is good news. Now all we need is an Aldi and I'm happy  ;)

Not a Aldi small marks or waitrose .lets have some competition .so are MIA reforming .plenty of room for expansion at the coop .they can buy the shops coop travel not a problem charity shop that just leaves Edward Melor .theres one unit allready empty .
Looking forward to this I hope hapening .

simonesaffron

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 06:37:28 PM »
Yeah SimoneSaffron and all the rest of you who are up for Asda on the Co-op site - if you don't mind becoming a subsidiary of the USA, back it! :-*

And I have spoken to staff in the Co-op who are able to talk openly about it, and tell me it's not signed, sealed and delivered yet. It may not be through until October, so if there is anyone else who objects to the behaviour of the Co-op, there's time to say so.

"...subsidiary of the USA..." What are you talking about Rosehill ? It's a supermarket in Marple not FBI Headquarters. Anyway we've been the 51st state of the USA since The Marshall Plan, so what's the difference?     

Dave

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »
Yeah SimoneSaffron and all the rest of you who are up for Asda on the Co-op site - if you don't mind becoming a subsidiary of the USA, back it! :-*

So Asda happens to be owned by an American company?  So what.  I can think of various reasons why I might not choose to shop there, but being American certainly isn't one of them.  Does anyone not eat Cadbury's chocolate because it is American-owned?  Or eat Quaker Oats?  Or drive a Ford? 

JMC

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »
This is good news. Now all we need is an Aldi and I'm happy  ;)

rosehill7

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »

And I have spoken to staff in the Co-op who are able to talk openly about it, and tell me it's not signed, sealed and delivered yet. It may not be through until October, so if there is anyone else who objects to the behaviour of the Co-op, there's time to say so.

alstan

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 05:51:33 PM »
There is no "if" about it. It is true.

simonesaffron

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »
If it's true and I've heard the very same as Rosehill it will be s positive for Marple. The Co-op has got to be the worst food retailer in the country and I for one would swap it for an Asda on the same site to-morrow.

I can't see how or why it would upset anybody in Marple. in fact I would have thought that Marple would be overjoyed at the prospect. As Dave said the supermarket argument last year was about the site and not the company.

rosehill7

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 03:34:54 PM »
You may want to call it "delicate commercial negotiations", Wheels,  :-\ but there are many people who wouldn't want Asda in Marple anywhere, and I consider that members should be notified of major developments within the Co-op.  Selling off flagship stores to a Walmart subsidiary (and Marple is not the only one) is a major development!   >:(
Anyway I've checked and it seems that all the staff were called into a meeting to be told about the offer, so it must be out of the period of delicate negotiations. :o

Dave

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 01:44:46 PM »
this will infuriate many local residents.

I doubt it.  The opposition to the previous Asda scheme was not really because it was Asda, as opposed to any other supermarket chain,  it was mainly on the grounds of its proposed location on Hibbert Lane.  There would have been just as much opposition to a Tesco or Sainsbury's in that location.

wheels

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 01:35:29 PM »
If it were true you thought you would spread what could be delicate commercial negotiations around did you?

amazon

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION, THROUGH A FORMER WORK-HORSE WHO HAS IT FROM A CURRENT WORK-HORSE, THAT HIGH LEVEL MANAGERS HAVE BEEN INTO THE CO-OP, DISCUSSING AN OFFER THAT "CANNOT BE REFUSED" FROM ASDA.  AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND, THE OFFER HAS BEEN ACCEPTED. :'(  Apparently the Co-op have decided to sell a number of their stores.  Considering this was a flagship store, it seems a strange choice to sell to Asda, as this will infuriate many local residents.
IT'S NOT SIGNED, SEALED AND DELIVERED YET, BUT I EXPECT IT IS HOPED TO BE, BEFORE THE NEWS GETS OUT.
(Not exactly from the horse's mouth, but requires investigation! Pass it on!) :o

Mmmmmmm.  ???

rosehill7

Sale of the Marple CO-OP to ASDA
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 08:42:49 AM »
IT HAS COME TO MY ATTENTION, THROUGH A FORMER WORK-HORSE WHO HAS IT FROM A CURRENT WORK-HORSE, THAT HIGH LEVEL MANAGERS HAVE BEEN INTO THE CO-OP, DISCUSSING AN OFFER THAT "CANNOT BE REFUSED" FROM ASDA.  AS FAR AS I UNDERSTAND, THE OFFER HAS BEEN ACCEPTED. :'(  Apparently the Co-op have decided to sell a number of their stores.  Considering this was a flagship store, it seems a strange choice to sell to Asda, as this will infuriate many local residents.
IT'S NOT SIGNED, SEALED AND DELIVERED YET, BUT I EXPECT IT IS HOPED TO BE, BEFORE THE NEWS GETS OUT.
(Not exactly from the horse's mouth, but requires investigation! Pass it on!) :o