A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: The Co-op asks us how they can improve their store - let's tell them!  (Read 42800 times)

amazon

Re: The Co-op asks us how they can improve their store - let's tell them!
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2014, 04:26:08 PM »
"If the Co-op goes bust and a proper supermarket chain takes over the site, it could be very good news."

My understanding is that Marple is now a no go area for all the main supermarket chains & the pull out of the one well known brand who might have come is why the Kirkland project folded. Whilst this plus the Asda episode were going on all the town centres around us have been busy getting their own schemes off the ground making any future new Marple supermarket scheme less viable. Perfectly possible I'm wrong of course but I have a nasty feeling we will see a procession of supermarket delivery vans coming in & cars heading out of Marple to find cheap petrol for the next decade at least

I still think ASDA will take over the coop there is plenty of room for development if they go towards the fire station .i don't mean by this take over the fire station . ......

corium

« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2014, 01:53:18 PM »
"If the Co-op goes bust and a proper supermarket chain takes over the site, it could be very good news."

My understanding is that Marple is now a no go area for all the main supermarket chains & the pull out of the one well known brand who might have come is why the Kirkland project folded. Whilst this plus the Asda episode were going on all the town centres around us have been busy getting their own schemes off the ground making any future new Marple supermarket scheme less viable. Perfectly possible I'm wrong of course but I have a nasty feeling we will see a procession of supermarket delivery vans coming in & cars heading out of Marple to find cheap petrol for the next decade at least

TINSLEY

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2014, 10:04:57 PM »
A proper supermarket, someone's bound to object.   

Dave

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2014, 02:09:50 PM »
I'm with rsh:
the Co-op Group becomes so desperate to free up cash that they look to their real estate and see they're sitting on a pile of money with the Marple store, sell it and a new supermarket completely redevelops the site with a bigger store and multi-storey/decked parking. This is not so far-fetched - a large number of Tescos and Sainsburys have been rebuilt on the same site or nearby in recent years. The Co-op occupies a "huge" site, in Marple terms, but it's very inefficient for a town centre supermarket design, with a big delivery yard, woeful car park and that row of relatively useless shops which any meaningful supermarket chain would have knocked through into the main store years ago.

If the Co-op goes bust and a proper supermarket chain takes over the site, it could be very good news. 

amazon

The coop .
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2014, 07:06:33 PM »
What now for the coop .now they have voted not for change .

Topic merged with old co-op thread. Howard

wheels

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2014, 09:35:33 PM »
OK apols if irony was the intention. Just a bit of a thing of mine I have never understood why living in a place for long periods is regarded as a good thing.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2014, 12:57:43 PM »
I think that one went by you wheels...

::)
Perhaps I should have added a smiley face, just to make it clear.  ;D

Rudolph Hucker

« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »
I think that one went by you wheels...

::)

wheels

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2014, 11:06:28 PM »
Only 40 years? You are but a newcomer. My Father came to live in Marple aged 6, in 1926. Shortly before he died in 1997 an old school friend informed him that he (my Father), wasn't "a real Marple person". Father had lived and worked in Marple for 71 years, apart from his war service!

How silly. Do you really believe that someone who has not had the get up and go to move around and experience various communities and life style should have a greater say than the person who arrived yesterday.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2014, 08:24:08 PM »
Lived in Marple for 40 years. Some people will say I'm new to the area. Since we are not getting a new supermarket, we do all our shopping in Poynton.
Drive to New Mills to for a news paper and then back to the Office in Marple. Councillors stand for self interest and expense's. Just short of a million pounds in the last financial year.
Only 40 years? You are but a newcomer. My Father came to live in Marple aged 6, in 1926. Shortly before he died in 1997 an old school friend informed him that he (my Father), wasn't "a real Marple person". Father had lived and worked in Marple for 71 years, apart from his war service!

Dave

« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2014, 07:38:30 AM »
....and as you see, I said it 40 years ago: 'Quote from: Dave on June 02, 1974, 06:39:48 AM'.   :o

wheels

« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2014, 12:02:52 AM »
This is, of course, entirely hypothetical, because obviously there is not now going to be a major supermarket on that site.  

That's another one I shall keep and remind you of Dave.

TINSLEY

« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 07:40:11 PM »
Wheels. Thank you.

wheels

« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »
Why don't you buy your newspaper in Marple and support the local newsagent?

You seem to make a lot of assertions without any substantiation. How do you know this about Councillors? There are 63 of them in Stockport and 6 in Marple. How many of them do you know. Have you ever met any of them?

Where is the self interest in being a Councillor - explain yourself.

The last time I looked Councillors got paid less than £10,000 per year by my calculations that's probably not even enough to run your office.

Correct. The Leader gets the most about £38k that includes the basic allowance of 10k so the actual salary for want of a better term for the leaders roles is about 28k. Further its not a role you could have and have a full time job as well.

This is really big money we are talking about isn't it.

rsh

« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »
In a parallel universe, the Co-op Group becomes so desperate to free up cash that they look to their real estate and see they're sitting on a pile of money with the Marple store, sell it and a new supermarket completely redevelops the site with a bigger store and multi-storey/decked parking. This is not so far-fetched - a large number of Tescos and Sainsburys have been rebuilt on the same site or nearby in recent years. The Co-op occupies a "huge" site, in Marple terms, but it's very inefficient for a town centre supermarket design, with a big delivery yard, woeful car park and that row of relatively useless shops which any meaningful supermarket chain would have knocked through into the main store years ago.

Meanwhile here we are, having to discuss which parts of our town to plough through elsewhere in order to fit a decent supermarket in.

Worth noting Marple remains on Aldi's hitlist, who only need small plots. I really hope they find somewhere, as they'd be the absolute death knell to the Co-op. Chadwick Street as planned would probably be too expensive, but you never know, if they're that keen to get into the town...