Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: cycle lanes  (Read 6743 times)

bluebelly

Re: cycle lanes
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 12:44:49 PM »
stockport road no worming from me !

bluebelly

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 12:43:06 PM »
how many cyclists respect the red.

sgk

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 11:48:31 PM »
Slightly off topic but Stockport MBC has sent on a link to bicycle maintenence courses. see

Here's the corrected website address, in case useful http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/event/9067321603/eorg/

CTCREP

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 10:01:45 AM »
Slightly off topic but Stockport MBC has sent on a link to bicycle maintenence courses. see [url]http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/event/9067321603/eorg/url]

wadsterboy

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 02:38:27 PM »
Ringi makes a good point. One of the best things I did was a TfGM free 'ride to work' session, where an instuctor gave me some basics (amazing how I had forgotten them since childhood) and then off we went to work up the A6 (I lived in Woodsmoor at the time), him following me. I'd never thought too much about it before, but I quickly realised that hogging the kerb (cycle lanes) makes you less visible to drivers pulling out of side roads - 'primary position' is much safer in these situations, assuming you have looked properly and there is no-one about to overtake you. The other thing is plenty of shoulder checks and eye contact with those behind you - and definitely no headphones!

I generally see pretty good, respectful driving on my route home through Stockport, down the A6 and up Dan Bank, but then again I'm pretty confident and am very positive in my cycling, although that inevitably annoys a few drivers who want to save 5 seconds getting home. I use pass them shortly afterwards.

CTCREP

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 12:56:32 PM »
Hello Henrietta

Firstly I do not support those people on cycles that do not make themselves visible to other road users, however with reference to some of your comments, it has been suggested, and possibly backed up by your observation, that reflectors on pedals, or shoes as some pedals aren't suitable for reflectors, are a worthwhile safety aid - the up and down movement is unusual and attracts the motorist's attention.

With reference to insurance many cyclists do have insurance, clubs often advise or even insist on it on it, all 70,000 members of the CTC are automatically provided with insurance, but in reality when are you considered a cyclist - a 3 year old on a tricycle perhaps. This may not seem great number when you consider the number of cyclists about, but then how many motorists are out there without insurance, you only hear of the ones that get caught.

Apart from the ill informed pressure on cyclists to wear helmets it is the compulsory requirement that could be used by insurance companies to default on their contract that worries many cyclists. You also mention liability. Do you know that Britain is one of only 3 european countries that does not recognise the principle of strict liability which in essence means that in a collision the more powerful, usually the motorist, is held responsible unless they can prove otherwise. At present on the pretext of innocent until proved guilty it is the responsibility of the victim, usually the more vulnerable, to prove the more powerful was at fault. With respect to cyclists this means that without reliable independent witnesses when a situation occurs, in the vast majority of cases they stand no chance of getting compensation.

As to cycle lights dazzling other road users it seems we can't win either not bright enough or too bright. How many people complain about the latest design of cars with excessively bright lights that create darker shadows where vulnerable road users are likely to be, and the current craze for fitting indicator lights so close to the other lights that they become invisible when the head or brake lights are on. I have heard many people complain verbally but who will take on the mighty motoring lobby?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 12:57:56 AM »
As a horsewoman who has ridden on the road for more years than I care to say, I understand a lot of the problems faced by cyclists on the road and as a driver I try to give them the courtesy I would like to receive. There are idiots on 4 wheels but I try not to be one of them.

However, as a horsewoman who, when riding on the road, strongly resembles a Christmas tree - hi-viz clothing on me and the horse, flashing lights on my arms, etc., etc. - and has passed my Riding Road Safety Certificate, it appals me to see the number of cyclists (and I am not accusing anyone on this forum so don't start) who don't wear any hi-viz clothing or the man I saw the other day who was wearing hi-viz trim on his coat but it was obscured by a huge black rucksack or the man whose only hi-viz was on his shoes. From behind, a motorist can't easily see the feet of a cyclist.

I drive along the A626 Glossop/Marple road several times a day. It's a dangerous road at the best of times but large stretches of it are unlit at night. One evening last winter in the pitch dark I only just managed to avoid hitting a cyclist who pulled out in front of me without looking or signalling. S/he was wearing dark clothing and riding a dark coloured bike WITH NO LIGHTS!!! As it happens, I was pootling along at around 29-30mph (in a 40 mile zone) but even at that speed I would have done him/her a lot of damage if I hadn't seen him or her and been able to take evasive action. I don't know if it applies to cyclists (Do cyclists have insurance?), but I was informed a few years ago by my insurers, NFU, that if my horse and I were involved in an accident, my insurance (including the public liability element thereof), would be invalidated if we were not wearing hi-viz even in daylight and EVEN IF THE ACCIDENT WASN'T OUR FAULT!! Be aware, cyclists, that this may also apply to you.

I don't know about other drivers but I often find bike lights difficult to see, even the flashing ones. I wonder if this is because they are not cleaned regularly? And while we are on the subject of lights, the ones worn on the head of cyclists are brilliant but if you use them would you take care how you adjust them, please? I know from my own experience and discussions with other drivers, that sometimes they can be so badly positioned that they dazzle on-coming traffic.

As I said at the beginning, I'm not tarring all cyclists with the same brush but there are some around who need to have a common sense transplant.

ringi

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 09:25:32 AM »
Most cyclists that are hit by cars are hit from the side.  I learned many years ago that the safest option on lot of road is to cycle down the middle of the lane, as that way a car driver is more likely to see you before pulling out.

Often cycle line put cyclists in more damage due to poor design.

I have the Cyclecraft book of great value, as it explained to me when it is not safe to use cycle lanes.

hollins

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »
do cyclists have to give hand signals when overtaking or turning ?
Neither cyclists or car drivers are strictly obliged to give signals when overtaking, turning or performing any other manoeuvre (although a car must have working brake lights). However, it is recommended and sensible practice where it will give other road users an indication of your intention, and should be accompanied by looking first and by appropriate road positioning (e.g. when turning right). It would be daft and counterproductive to indicate when you are sure that nobody else is going to be affected, because a cyclist has to take one hand off the handlebar.

As a cyclist I did once nearly get decapitated whilst overtaking another cyclist who simply flung her right arm out to indicate without looking first.

I'm always amazed by the number of car drivers who signal after completing a manoeuvre, particularly after exiting a roundabout. Seems completely pointless.

amazon

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
Whereabouts is that one? I think the problem is that in the mid-90's councils were given grants to create cycle lanes. This funding wasn't maintained so they were not maintained.

Stockport .just up from the market . ......

Duke Fame

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »
There's one outside premier inn were the steps are on the side it disappears into the middle of the road .

Whereabouts is that one? I think the problem is that in the mid-90's councils were given grants to create cycle lanes. This funding wasn't maintained so they were not maintained.

amazon

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:39:47 PM »
A lot of the cycle lanes in Stockport are ill thought out. In Cheadle, the cycle lane has parking along the length and as it then goes onto a pavement, at 25 mph, I found a fence had been constructed accross the lane!!!

There's one outside premier inn were the steps are on the side it disappears into the middle of the road .

bluebelly

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 05:27:04 PM »
do cyclists have to give hand signals when overtaking or turning ?

Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:07:27 PM »
if on a road that has a cycle lane , do cyclist have to use it or can they use the pavement,main road or any other floor space??

A lot of the cycle lanes in Stockport are ill thought out. In Cheadle, the cycle lane has parking along the length and as it then goes onto a pavement, at 25 mph, I found a fence had been constructed accross the lane!!!

stockport road

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 08:08:26 PM »
Have you knocked a cyclist off and attempting to worm out of getting prosecuted ? ???