A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Linked Events

• Mellor Country Fete: June 29, 2013

Author Topic: Mellor Country Fete [Saturday 29 June 2013]  (Read 11191 times)

barndoor

Re: Mellor Country Fete [Saturday 29 June 2013]
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
No need to apologise Dave, I kind of suspected it was nothing more insidious than a slip of a finger. In fact, I rather like my unintentional sobriquet!

Dave

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 04:43:33 PM »
My apologies, barn door, it was indeed my incompetent typing rather than any intentional slight (and b isn't even anywhere near d on the keyboard  ::)

barndoor

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 03:02:32 PM »
Quote from: Dave
barn boor

boor?!!

I trust that is a typo, Dave, and not your thoughts on the quality (or otherwise) of my posts!

bd

Dave

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 08:54:24 AM »
red666bear must be one of those 'on-message lefties' that barn boor warned us about.   :D

Miss C

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »
How welcoming, red666bear! We live in Mellor and drove there in the 4x4 we own due to one of us crossing the Pennines on a daily basis and doing so at times in winter in anything other than a 4x4 is treacherous. However, not knowing loads of people here still, we all enjoyed it, found it a great community atmosphere (not a cliquey one) and thought the organisation and the effort that had gone into it was fantastic. The teddy bear parachuting was a great hit with the boy as was the tombola and all the other things to do. Thank you to all the organisers. :)

red666bear

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »
too many city slickers in mellor now.
please take your 4x4 elsewhere.

very clique atmosphere at the fete.

barndoor

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 12:13:23 PM »
Let's not spoil this very positive thread by discussing politics in it any further please.

That’s a fair comment, although it scuppers any opportunity for me to clarify my post!

With hindsight, I accept that assigning a political slant to a post about a church fete was not appropriate. The true target of my rancour is not those solely on the ‘left’: rather, it is those in the ruling political classes, of all hues, whose aim appears to be incrementally reducing traditional fetes, fairs and fun days – in the way that I remember them – to homogenised blandness.

Mellor Church Fete 2013 was terrific, and I’m not embarrassed to reiterate my hope that it will continue for many years to come, and to be as well managed and enjoyable as this year’s was.

And that is all.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 07:36:52 AM »
Let's not spoil this very positive thread by discussing politics in it any further please.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 07:27:16 AM »
Yes, it was brilliant - the lovely summer weather certainly helped.  We've been going to this event, on and off, for a very long time, and yesterday's was the best we can recall - lots going on, very well organised, lovely atmosphere - it was just a pleasure to be there, and I heartily agree with barndoor when s/he writes:
The organisers should be proud - this was a masterclass in how to manage an event. Well done to all of them.

I'm puzzled by this bit of barndoor's post, though:
Are you an on-message lefty? With its traditional British values on full, unabashed display you would have hated this event.
What on earth has politics got to do with it?  Indeed, one of the finest qualities of this sort of event is that it is apolitical and appeals to people of all ages, backgrounds and shades of political opinion.  Absolutely anyone can appreciate and enjoy the delights of the tug-of-war, the hog roast, the beer tent and the sack race.  'Traditional British values' are not right-wing or left wing - politics has nothing to do with it! 

barndoor

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 10:14:22 PM »
Well, it turned out to be a better event than I could have even imagined. And here's why:

• The scenery was amazing. Seriously, what a location: nestled in the Derbyshire hills overlooking Manchester; even north Wales was visible in the distance. To 'look down' on Manchester and know that that Godless place is quite some distance away - that's life-affirming, I can tell you.
  • The games. I watched a 'potato and spoon race' and then a sack race and in both, children were actually allowed to win!; sponge throwing; a tug-o'-war contest (this was hilarious, especially when a plethora of men decided to help the girls who subsequently won both times - fix!); and various other games. Oh, to see traditional games which would normally he banned by the 'elf and safety brigade!
  • The beer tent. Bollington Brewery's finest served on draft. Marvellous.
  • Many bric-a-brac stalls. I managed to bag a set of 70s coasters and a mug for a couple of quid. I am very pleased at this.
  • The religious context. Not preachy, not rammed down your throat...this is how a social event with an undeniable religious background should be arranged. The organisers should be proud - this was a masterclass in how to manage an event. Well done to all of them.

Are you an on-message lefty? With its traditional British values on full, unabashed display you would have hated this event. For us normal folk it was fantastic. May there be many more of them.

barndoor

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »
It looks like a good event - here's the flyer.

A Beer & Pimms tent? That's my kind of fête!

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Mellor Country Fete [Saturday 29 June 2013]
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:15:12 AM »
Falconry, duck herding, hog roast, traditional games, stalls & more at Mellor Country Fete on June 29th 1.00pm.

Also bands, beer tent and wine bar at After Party 7.00pm!

Fields beside Mellor Church.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website