Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Coming to a Robinson's pub in Marple ......  (Read 9056 times)

amazon

Re: Coming to a Robinson's pub in Marple ......
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »
Another way I feel that pubs have lost their way is in the food catering.  A lot of them seem to think that they have to compete with top-class restaurants and provide fancier food at much higher prices than people really want.  One instance recently in a local hostelry was fish and chips at £14.95!  Simpler food at more manageable prices would encourage customers and would probably result in more drinks being sold. 

Problems serving food you have to go through all the rigmarole of hygene rules kitchen certain standard .a lot of pubs don't think it's worth it .

Barbara

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 05:39:35 PM »
Another way I feel that pubs have lost their way is in the food catering.  A lot of them seem to think that they have to compete with top-class restaurants and provide fancier food at much higher prices than people really want.  One instance recently in a local hostelry was fish and chips at £14.95!  Simpler food at more manageable prices would encourage customers and would probably result in more drinks being sold. 

simonesaffron

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 03:40:58 PM »
Don't know that much about beer except that every man I've ever known has complained about the price of it. So that's all probably part of the male psyche.

I do though like a glass of wine or two especially at the week-end and I prefer to drink it in a pub as against at home. In the last 18 months in Marple Bridge the price of a bottle of wine in both the Norfolk and the Midland has risen from approx £12.00 per bottle to £18.00 per bottle. You can still buy the same wine in Manchester for £8.00 at certain times of the day and you can buy it to drink at home for £6.00.

There is something not quite right with a business that takes a 200% mark up from its customers. I've seen it before, at first people pay these prices grudgingly, then they start to complain, then gradually the pub loses its popularity - all pubs have a shelf life.

It's a shame that they feel they have to conduct business in this short term way and thats why many of them are closing.   

wheels

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 02:17:04 PM »
Seems a bit strange to be talking about the price of beer in pubs as if it was pinks of milk off the shelf in supermarkets. Surely the pricing can be set by the individual pub and you are not just paying for the beer, you are paying for the place where you are drinking it as well, otherwise you might as well just get some tinnies and drink them in the park!

At a time when pubs are going out of business left right and centre, it seems a bit off to be kicking them whilst they are down. Sure, there are some that are awful, but if a landlord / lady has worked hard to provide a good ambience, food offering, community spirit or whatever that counts for a lot?

Alison

I agree Alison, are we really that price sensitive on beer. I don't think I ever look at the price or am aware of it be it 2.55 or 3.05its not a difference that would make me alter my pub or drinking habits.

alison

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 01:36:51 PM »
Seems a bit strange to be talking about the price of beer in pubs as if it was pinks of milk off the shelf in supermarkets. Surely the pricing can be set by the individual pub and you are not just paying for the beer, you are paying for the place where you are drinking it as well, otherwise you might as well just get some tinnies and drink them in the park!

At a time when pubs are going out of business left right and centre, it seems a bit off to be kicking them whilst they are down. Sure, there are some that are awful, but if a landlord / lady has worked hard to provide a good ambience, food offering, community spirit or whatever that counts for a lot?

Alison

barndoor

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2013, 07:58:13 PM »
Quote from: red666bear
thank you for your constructive comments barndoor.
You're welcome, although please remember I have no professional experience in the pub trade so my thoughts are based on my business experience. I'm happy to be corrected by someone with actual knowledge.

i recently popped into the midland on marple bridge and am pleased that they have passed on the chancellors recent 1p per pint reduction on duty, they genuinely have lowered the price of carling from £3.05 to £3.04!

needless to say robinsons have done nothing, in fact when duty is raised by 1 or 2p they put 5pence on a pint!
Good for The Midland! It's refreshing to read of a pub which shuns the opportunity to make a quick buck at the customer's expense - how often does that happen, I wonder.

If what you say about Robinson's is true, it simply reinforces my desire for a decent non-Robinsons pub in, or close to, the town centre. Don't get me wrong: I like Robinson's beers, and there are some great Robinson's pubs within a mile or so of the town centre, I'm just not a big fan of the brewery's stranglehold on the Marple pub scene. A little bit of healthy competition would work wonders.

Dave

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
red666bear I'd still love to know where you have found Robbie's bitter at £2.55 a pint! 

red666bear

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 05:19:39 PM »
thank you for your constructive comments barndoor.

i recently popped into the midland on marple bridge and am pleased that they have passed on the chancellors recent 1p per pint reduction on duty,
they genuinely have lowered the price of carling from £3.05 to £3.04!

needless to say robinsons have done nothing, in fact when duty is raised by 1 or 2p they put 5pence on a pint!

barndoor

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2013, 06:55:52 PM »
the ring o bells need to explain their pricing policy to the people of marple.
To be blunt, they don't. As a business, and not a co-operative, they can charge whatever they like. I have no knowledge of the licensed drinks trade, but I would imagine the owners will have made a decision in conjunction with the brewery on their prices (I'm happy to be informed otherwise). Their pricing structure will reflect the higher rent they are likely to be charged compared to, say, The Hatters; and this will be because of:

1. its picturesque location by the canal (so you are correct in your assertion)
2. expected high sales figures, based on previous years' sales. It's a shame that there appear to be fewer customers of late, but every business experiences peaks and troughs and I have every belief that trade will pick up again
3. a need to keep it less attractive to people without much cash (read into that as you will); and ergo, attracting a different sort of customer who is likely to spend more on both drink and food - food sales being an effective way of helping to offset the punitive and ever-increasing beer taxes.

I could go off on a rant about the iniquitous beer duty, but I won't, as my posts will involve lots of capitalisation and four-letter words.

well i`m sorry the british legion and the conservative club don`t feel the need to do this.
The Legion appears to have limited opening hours, and the Con Club isn't a pleasant place to drink in - not as agreeable as the Ringers at any rate. This could account for their lower prices.

That said, I believe that if an attractive Sam Smith's or Hydes pub was established in Marple all Robinson's pubs in the locale would have to very quickly lower their prices.

Dave

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
charging on average 30p a pint more than the other Robinsons establishments is just not on.

The Unicorn at the Ringers is a perfectly reasonable £2.85 a pint.  I'd like to know where you can get it for £2.55  :P

red666bear

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »
charging on average 30p a pint more than the other Robinsons establishments is just not on.

i feel this establishment is trying to cash in on its location by the canal.

well i`m sorry the british legion and the conservative club don`t feel the need to do this.

come on ring o bells - tell us why?

Dave

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2013, 09:56:48 AM »
no doubt the ring o bells will sell trooper at least 30pence a pint dearer than anywhere else.

I popped in for a pint yesterday.  I liked it, but not the price (40p a pint dearer than Unicorn   :()

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2013, 09:07:25 AM »
Well I've had my first pint of Trooper but won't be having any more - not to my taste at all - much preferred the recent "Hoptimus Prime"  :(
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

red666bear

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 06:43:07 PM »
no doubt the ring o bells will sell trooper at least 30pence a pint dearer than anywhere else.

jet

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
Trooper will be available at the Ring O' Bells from Saturday 11th May  :P
Saturday live Music with Danny lee and Gary Kirk brilliant acoustic guitar Duo 9pm