Landscape Gardening Maintenance Marple & Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Get Britain Cycling  (Read 11448 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Get Britain Cycling
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »
So I walk down Dan Bank on the shared pedestrian/cycle path and then cross the road in order to access the public footpath on the other side, if I am hit by a cyclist at 30mph it's my fault. Unbelievable!

It rather depends, if you cross the road when a cyclist is coming down the road, it is your fault for not looking properly (assuming the cyclist suitable lighting etc).

CTCREP

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »
Whether or not you are a victim of a cyclist , pedestrian or motorist is immaterial when it comes to claiming compensation. All can be claimed against but you have to have proof. Victims of accidents involving cyclists and pedestrians are fairly rare but if you can prove negligence or worse then you can make a claim - if you have the proof. In most cases there are no independent witnesses to provide that proof so no very little chance of getting compensation. In this instance we (cyclists) believe the principle of Strict Liability, which is recognised in most European Countries but significantly not the UK, should be applied here. "As I understand it" - sorry for the phrase but I am no lawyer, the liability in any accident is then shared between the two parties unless one party can prove the other is at fault. The motoring fraternity always quote that everyone is "Innocent until Proved Guilty". Unfortunately this means in every "accident" the victim has to prove the other party was at fault, which in the vast majority of cases is impossible due to there being no independent witnesses. If Strict liability were accepted at least you would get partial compensation unless the other party could prove otherwise. The motor vehicle, yes and even the bicycle, is no less a lethal weapon than a knife or a gun the use of which you should take responsibility for, but in the UK the motorist gets far more lenient treatment than the knife or gun owner. Several years ago a man went out in a defective car, drove irresponsibly and killed 4 cyclists. All the police could charge him with was having 3 bald tyres for which he was fined £186, the victims families were then left to try to get compensation themselves, unsuccessfully I believe. At much the same time a woman was being terrorised by a couple of thugs. she went out with an air pistol and although no one was hurt she was put in prison and lost her job. Again at that time my friends and I were cycling in the lanes near Wilmslow. A motorist came round the corner travelling too fast, hit the grass verge and shot across the road behind us ending up in the hedge. A little earlier and he could have killed all 4 of us. We turned back to see if he needed assistance and were horrified to see a lady cyclist laying injured in the road. Ambulance and police were called and our statements taken but we heard no more, presumably because the "accident" occurred behind us and we didn't see the actual impact. It would then have been up to the lady to take out a civil action which with "no independent witnesses" was unlikely to succeed. It is time the UK recognised this unbalanced use of the law in this country.

wheels

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2013, 08:27:18 PM »
Where did I say I would walk in front of a cyclist legitimately going through a green light? You cyclists are such a pedantic lot. It has been said previously on this forum ( i cant remember who by) that some cyclists do not stop at red lights as a matter of course. My idle query was, as cyclists are not registered and do not have to have public liability insurance, what can pedestrians or motorists who feel they have been a victim of an accident caused by a cyclist do? Probably nothing until cyclists have to display registration details!

What are you on about many many thousands of cyclists do have public liability cover, many organisations provide it. You seem unable to distinguish between cyclists and bike users.

chicken lady

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2013, 06:41:22 PM »
Where did I say I would walk in front of a cyclist legitimately going through a green light? You cyclists are such a pedantic lot. It has been said previously on this forum ( i cant remember who by) that some cyclists do not stop at red lights as a matter of course. My idle query was, as cyclists are not registered and do not have to have public liability insurance, what can pedestrians or motorists who feel they have been a victim of an accident caused by a cyclist do? Probably nothing until cyclists have to display registration details!

hollins

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
So I walk down Dan Bank on the shared pedestrian/cycle path and then cross the road in order to access the public footpath on the other side, if I am hit by a cyclist at 30mph it's my fault. Unbelievable!

If you walk out in front of a cyclist who is legitimately cycling through green traffic lights and you cause him to swerve, crash and get seriously injured do you think that is the cyclist's fault?

If, on the other hand, the cyclist "shoots" a red light then he should be prosecuted like any other road user and if he hits a pedestrian whilst doing so then it is a serious offence.

It is just about feasible to go down Dan Bank at 30 mph on a bike, but given the potholes on the other side it probably isn't a good idea. If you really wanted to "Get Britain Cycling" then mending the road surface would help.

Victor M

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2013, 08:17:14 AM »
Yes, if you walk out in front of the cyclist while the lights are in the cyclist's favour.

chicken lady

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2013, 07:56:08 AM »
A minor cannot enter a contract unless for subsistence.

Why would you cross the road at Dan Bank?

It's unlikely that the cyclist would break 30mph, if you are hit by a cyclist, is it more than likely to be your fault?

Duke Fame

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2013, 12:26:17 AM »
a 16 year old is responsible in law for his/her actions, so should take out insurance (as 16 year old moped riders and 17 year old car drivers have to), and as a road user should pay some sort of tax on his/her cycle. It has been pointed out in previous threads that cyclists can reach fairly high speeds going down Dan Bank, if I, as a pedestrian, were crossing the road and  hit by a cyclist, what chance would I have of claiming compensation? Probably very little, because it seems to me that pedestrians are at the bottom of the pile.

A minor cannot enter a contract unless for subsistence.

Why would you cross the road at Dan Bank?

It's unlikely that the cyclist would break 30mph, if you are hit by a cyclist, is it more than likely to be your fault?

Victor M

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »
what chance would I have of claiming compensation?
You would have to do just like if you had been hit by a car and use the courts to claim damages off the person responsible for the accident. Whether the person is a car driver or a cyclist is immaterial.

chicken lady

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 06:12:46 PM »
a 16 year old is responsible in law for his/her actions, so should take out insurance (as 16 year old moped riders and 17 year old car drivers have to), and as a road user should pay some sort of tax on his/her cycle. It has been pointed out in previous threads that cyclists can reach fairly high speeds going down Dan Bank, if I, as a pedestrian, were crossing the road and  hit by a cyclist, what chance would I have of claiming compensation? Probably very little, because it seems to me that pedestrians are at the bottom of the pile.

Duke Fame

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 01:30:17 PM »
I didn't say road tax, I said tax. DVLA website calls it car tax. sorry for lack of precision.

The concequences for that are difficult. How does a 16 yr old become responsible?  Most over 18's have a car as well as a bike, therefore taxing a bike is double taxing for the same road. If we are saying it's desirable for congestion & environomental reasons to encourage bike use, taxing bike use is not the way to go.

wheels

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
I didn't say road tax, I said tax. DVLA website calls it car tax. sorry for lack of precision.

And what sort of resources are you going to put into monitoring this

chicken lady

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »

wheels

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 10:15:52 AM »
Perhaps cyclists should have the same responsibilities as motorists if they expect the same rights - a system of registration and insurance, and payment of tax!

Nobody pays road tax it was abolished in 1937

Victor M

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 08:08:41 AM »
Perhaps cyclists should have the same responsibilities as motorists if they expect the same rights - a system of registration and insurance, and payment of tax!
I am a cyclist and often travel between 8 - 9 am on Stockport Road, just like a motorist I pay road tax and car insurance I just happen to be a bit more socially responsible and leave my car on the drive when I can.