Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Planning Application Church St  (Read 3016 times)

Theotherside

Planning Application Church St
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2004, 06:51:17 PM »
Fine sentiments Alan but as I said, let's be realistic here!
Where do you think the council would get the money from and if they had the money do you really think that they would spend it on a community based site i.e. a heritage centre? I don't think so!
You might have a better chance of getting British Waterways to invest as they own the adjoining land. I am sure however that if they were asked then they would be looking for someone to match their funding!
Maybe we should have a whip round.

alan@marple

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 05:25:33 PM »
The otherside:

I agree with the sentiments you express concerning the shanty and aesthetically it would be an improvement if the site was tidied up. Albert certainly keeps his portion in good order as best he can.

It is the thought of a new development not in keeping with the tone of the whole "cut" and the increased traffic that will be generated that concerns me.

It would be nice if the SM BC. were to acquire the site and develop it as a community and heritage center at the same time if Albert wanted it,  re-locate him to other suitable premises, to his satisfaction.

Theotherside

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2004, 11:45:11 PM »
Al is a nice bloke but you could hardly accuse the shanty town where he operates as a place of natural beauty!!!!
I don't neccessarily agree with the development but let's be realistic here!!!

alan@marple

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 05:43:12 PM »
I saw today fastened to the lampost outside the Con club, that an application has been submitted to build three houses on the site of Albert Oldhams motor garage.

Could this be the start of the complete destruction of the canal yard cut.

Theres has been much speculation since the canal closed it's offices at Marple over the future of this area which I believe may be in a conservation area.

The residents of Lockside with the assistance of the Community Council fought long and hard to stop the rat race of vehicles using it as a short cut.I see this development encouraging even more traffic to be wanting to use this already congested area.

If this development takes place, it would in my opinion, be injurious to the natural beauty and traditional style of the area.

Anybody know any more about this or the Applicant Mr/Mrs Fleet