Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: The Cherry Tree Café  (Read 9122 times)

RAY NOBLE

Re: The Cherry Tree Café
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 08:12:54 PM »
The bottom shop was Dunn's then the Milk Bar part of Dunn's. then Gevaux's. then Turners grocers who had his bakehouse on Chadwick street

Tricky

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
the pavement is pretty wide there.. looks wide enough for a layby.

meh

JMC

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2013, 07:28:22 PM »
I used to live near there too and there used to be several clothes shops on that row and the hairdressers. They all used to do pretty well.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »
When I was a girl that area was a thriving shopping area.

I could be wrong here, but I vaguely recall there used to be a SPAR near where the Cherry Tree café used to be. This is going back to the 60s/70s. Can someone like Ray Noble confirm this?
Possibly Turners (the double-fronted shop at the top end of the row of shops)? Don't know if it was tied up with Spar .

Mr Gervaux (spelling?)who had the grocer's shop lower down. either retired or died in the 1960s I think.

Just remembered, when I was a schoolgirl there was a cafe on the corner where the chippy now is - Dunns, IIRC.

Duke Fame

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 12:33:06 PM »

Or provide outstand customer service and product like the newish bakers does down there

Did Cherry Tree cafe not offer this?

Duke Fame

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »
Do you think rumours of an Asda coming to Marple might have caused them to close???????

Nothing to do with it.

The problem with shops in that area is that there is no passing trade and no parking. You have to be a destination retailer to be there, such as the tattoo parlour, the fireplace shop etc.
When I was a girl that area was a thriving shopping area. Turners(?) bakers and Mr Gevaux (spelling?) the grocer and Pearsons butchers  and the ladies hairdressers across the road but then most people walked to do their shopping.

It seems mad to me that it doesn't seem to occur to prospective tenants that if a particular business has closed down after a very short time it's highly likely that opening a similar venture in that place is not a good idea.

I think it's a fair point to make MLIH but there will be the advantage of low rents and the hope that other new tenents bringing trade, it's tempting to ry and give it a go. I'll be the usual bore that business rates are often overlooked and are far too high for businesses to sustain.

I actually thought Cherry Tree had the idea about right in that they aimed at giving good value food which is a bit different to the likes of Toast etc.

JMC

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 11:33:51 AM »

It seems mad to me that it doesn't seem to occur to prospective tenants that if a particular business has closed down after a very short time it's highly likely that opening a similar venture in that place is not a good idea.

I always think the same and think that if I as a resident can see this then surely potential business owners should know/research it. Still I wish them well.

marveld

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 01:10:07 AM »
When I was a girl that area was a thriving shopping area.

I could be wrong here, but I vaguely recall there used to be a SPAR near where the Cherry Tree café used to be. This is going back to the 60s/70s. Can someone like Ray Noble confirm this?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »
Do you think rumours of an Asda coming to Marple might have caused them to close???????

Nothing to do with it.

The problem with shops in that area is that there is no passing trade and no parking. You have to be a destination retailer to be there, such as the tattoo parlour, the fireplace shop etc.
When I was a girl that area was a thriving shopping area. Turners(?) bakers and Mr Gevaux (spelling?) the grocer and Pearsons butchers  and the ladies hairdressers across the road but then most people walked to do their shopping.

myloweb

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2013, 08:39:44 PM »
Cherry tree cafe has new owners and is opening again tomorrow (Monday 11thFeb).

Bluezorro

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 10:25:38 PM »
Does anyone know why the cherry tree cafe shut?

alex

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 02:50:39 PM »
I think he means Claudio's. He does excellect croissants, baguettes, ciabatta, pizzas, cakes.... Not your everyday fare, possibly, but great for a treat.
thanks i will give it a go

Cyberman

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 02:01:24 PM »
Or provide outstand customer service and product like the newish bakers does down there
which one?
I think he means Claudio's. He does excellect croissants, baguettes, ciabatta, pizzas, cakes.... Not your everyday fare, possibly, but great for a treat.

alex

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 01:53:16 PM »
which one?

wheels

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »
Nothing to do with it.