All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Missing Royal Mail  (Read 31935 times)

alan@marple

Re: Missing Royal Mail
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 07:59:46 PM »
Just to keep you "posted"

I had an email response from Royal Mail- regretting the loss however after the 25th Feb I might wish to submit a claim form? That will be a bit late to "bolt the stable door"

"  Dear *******
Thank you for contacting Royal Mail.

I'm sorry to hear that an important item of your mail that contained cash has not yet been delivered.

Of the huge volumes of letters and packets we handle, very few encounter a problem along their way - but we take every single failure seriously, so I'm really sorry that you have had cause to contact us.
While I full appreciate your comments and empathise with the situation, especially as the item is for your Grandsons birthday; unfortunately, we are unable to log a loss complaint until the item is classed as such.

If the item still hasn't been delivered after 15 working days from its delivery due date, in this case by 25th February, you may wish to consider submitting a 'Lost, damaged or delayed inland mail claim form' (also known as a P58) to progress a claim for the loss of the item. These forms are available from all Post Office® branches or alternatively, you may wish to print one out from our website by clicking on the following link:

www.royalmail.com/p58

Please ensure you complete the form in full, providing as much detail as possible to help with our investigations, including any evidence to support the posting of the item.

Please be assured that we use the data provided in this manner to investigate and also pass the details to our security people. They then use this information to try and minimise instances of loss, damage and delay within our system.

Finally, and this is purely speculation; there is a possibility that the thickness of the card along with two enclosures, may have classed the item as a large letter for which a normal 1st Class stamp would not be sufficient.

If this was the case, we would still process the item but will request payment of a 'surcharge fee' from the recipient: the amount charged will include a £1 charge to cover our extra handling costs, plus the amount of the missing required postage (this will also depend on the weight of the item). The receiving Delivery Office will keep the item and deliver a card to the addressee to inform them that an underpaid item of mail is being held. This card will also provide instructions on how they can pay the surcharge and receive the item of mail.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies on behalf of Royal Mail for the problem you've had, and our thanks for taking the time to make us aware of this. Please be assured that we take letting our customers down seriously and will use this information to make further improvements."

Regards

Royal Mail

wheels

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2013, 10:07:17 AM »
For once I agree with Henrietta!  It keeps us out of mischief, eh H?  ;D

Oh I think getting up to some mischief is defiantly preferable

Barbara

« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2013, 08:16:31 AM »
For once I agree with Henrietta!  It keeps us out of mischief, eh H?  ;D

wheels

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 11:51:46 PM »
How unsustainable. Defiantly environmentally irresponsible.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Alan why didn't you send your card electronically, much better for the environment and much more normal these days.

I didn't realise people still send card via snail mail.
Well most laptops don't fit on the mantelpiece.

In fact I'm even more of a dinosaur in the matter of greetings cards - I hand-make all of mine including the 100+ Christmas cards I send.

amazon

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 03:52:40 PM »
Some of us still like cards!   :D 

Now Duke might ask why is your card delivered snail mail subsidised while I have to pay the full cost of my ISP to do the same thing. 

Just depends w ho your ISP is with .

wheels

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2013, 03:04:08 PM »

Now Duke might ask why is your card delivered snail mail subsidised while I have to pay the full cost of my ISP to do the same thing. 

Barbara

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2013, 02:21:46 PM »

wheels

« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2013, 10:05:51 AM »
Maybe that's why the card shop next to the 'quarp' shut down Wheels :-(

...and became a charity shop....

Fine we don't now buy products we bought in 1900 life moves on.

gazwhite

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 09:34:03 AM »
Maybe that's why the card shop next to the 'quarp' shut down Wheels :-(

...and became a charity shop....

wheels

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 12:33:20 AM »
Alan why didn't you send your card electronically, much better for the environment and much more normal these days.

I didn't realise people still send card via snail mail.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 11:21:07 PM »
For what it's worth I will pass on a piece of advice which was given to me on two separate occasions by two, now retired, postmen (one in Stockport, the other in Birmingham) viz - mail has a better chance of reaching its destination if you don't put the postcode on the envelope. Without a postcode it has to be sorted by hand. They also said, independently of each other that un-postcoded letters often get there quicker than those which go through the automated system.

I offer this on a take it or leave it basis, taking no responsibility for it varacity or otherwise.

marplerambler

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 10:37:56 PM »
I was with a friend from Stalybridge recently who suddenly started sneezing and had no handkerchief so I gave him my clean,  ironed hanky. I completely forgot about it and was  surprised to receive an ordinary envelope through the post a few days later containing a freshly laundered, neatly folded handkerchief. I suspect that the post office employee who had used a razor blade to open the full length of the bottom of the envelope and who then skillfully disguised and resealed the slit must have been even more surprised to find that there was no golden chain or hidden treasure to steal. I was annoyed about this but didn't report the matter because I didn't want the local postman who is a very helpful and courteous bloke to be questioned.     

Bowden Guy

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2013, 01:24:31 PM »
It would appear that the Royal mail  processes 59m letters and parcels each day. So, in a typical year, they are handling 21.5 BILLION.

The latest data I can find shows that they lose 280,000 each week (down from 500,000 apparently!). A "failure rate" of 0.07% doesn't sound too bad until you realise that it amounts to over 14.5 MILLION letters and parcels not being received by their rightful ownrers. That's 14.5 million every year. Makes one suspicious......

amazon

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2013, 01:13:24 PM »
Until recently I was sending between 20 and 30 items a day via first class post. Most arrived at their intended destination the next day. However, about 1% never arrived at all. It's not necessarily theft, just incompetence on the part of Royal Mail.

You can obtain a little sticker that goes on you letter box asking the postman to take back to the post office if not in
New rules now say that they can leave post next door , check there website there is plenty of info on there. .