Archive > Sale of Hibbert Lane Campus to Supermarket Chain

ASDA to snap up the Chadwick Street site ?

(1/10) > >>

Duke Fame:

--- Quote from: the rover on March 11, 2013, 04:09:54 PM ---
--- Quote from: Duke Fame on March 11, 2013, 03:06:43 PM ---That's true, certainly Portwood has a longer walk. As long as the paved areas are smooth there will not be a problem. Most importantly, the walk will go past other shops meaning the new supermarket compliments helps the local business rather than destroys it

--- End quote ---

And where would you leave your trolley full of shopping whilst you nipped into the other shops? Bearing in mind the shoppers having to cope with toddlers, shopping trolleys walking through Market Street and down Derby Street etc. Also the other supermarkets have special parking for disabled and people with children, how many of the parking spaces will be lost to cater for these at the supermarket?

--- End quote ---

I've gone and typed compliments not complements.

I'm sure there will be disabled parking in whatever car parking provision is in place. The supermarket may well insist on parent & child slots but it's a pet hate of mine, having a child is not a disabilty

the rover:

--- Quote from: Duke Fame on March 11, 2013, 03:06:43 PM ---That's true, certainly Portwood has a longer walk. As long as the paved areas are smooth there will not be a problem. Most importantly, the walk will go past other shops meaning the new supermarket compliments helps the local business rather than destroys it

--- End quote ---

And where would you leave your trolley full of shopping whilst you nipped into the other shops? Bearing in mind the shoppers having to cope with toddlers, shopping trolleys walking through Market Street and down Derby Street etc. Also the other supermarkets have special parking for disabled and people with children, how many of the parking spaces will be lost to cater for these at the supermarket?

Duke Fame:

--- Quote from: simonesaffron on March 11, 2013, 03:01:46 PM ---
--- Quote from: Duke Fame on March 11, 2013, 02:04:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: simonesaffron on March 11, 2013, 01:33:23 PM ---Duke,

People are not prepared these days to push shopping trolleys through town centres to get to their cars even if the distance is relatively short.

What exactly do you mean by a ..."smaller ASDA" ? I take it you looked at the plans and you know the proposed size of the store. I personally wouldn't class that as small would you? 

--- End quote ---

I understand the Chadwick St development will be slightly smaller than the Co-op, when I say smaller Asda, I mean as opposed to mega Asda.

As for the need to walk, I see your point, in the days of obesity, people don't like to walk too far. However, the plans remind me a little of Wetherby where they have been able to incorporate the whole precinct around a large Morrisons and yes, people are prepared to walk through th etown to their cars. 

--- End quote ---

Duke, Let's not get into the world of obesity again. Your constant reference to the word has gone far beyond the point of tedium.

My understanding of the Chadwick Street Development is that your understanding is a misunderstanding. I thought that the proposed development (sales area only) of the scheme was 25,000 sq ft whereas the Co-op comes in at 16,000 plus sq ft. This makes the new supermarket around 64% bigger than the existing co-op. I wouldn't call that small Duke - would you ? 

--- End quote ---

I see, that is officially quite large.

Duke Fame:

--- Quote from: admin on March 11, 2013, 02:10:42 PM ---I must say that I think this idea of Duke's has more merit than it's being given credit for.

I think that imaginative use of the Derby Street Car Park and the one way road itself could result in significantly more parking for the town centre.

I also think that in terms of distance to push a trolley, you could have to go further than this in Tesco at Portwood, Asda in Hyde and Stockport and Sainburys in Hazel Grove.

Some efficient management of trollies would be needed of course.

--- End quote ---

That's true, certainly Portwood has a longer walk. As long as the paved areas are smooth there will not be a problem. Most importantly, the walk will go past other shops meaning the new supermarket compliments helps the local business rather than destroys it

simonesaffron:

--- Quote from: Duke Fame on March 11, 2013, 02:04:35 PM ---
--- Quote from: simonesaffron on March 11, 2013, 01:33:23 PM ---Duke,

People are not prepared these days to push shopping trolleys through town centres to get to their cars even if the distance is relatively short.

What exactly do you mean by a ..."smaller ASDA" ? I take it you looked at the plans and you know the proposed size of the store. I personally wouldn't class that as small would you? 

--- End quote ---

I understand the Chadwick St development will be slightly smaller than the Co-op, when I say smaller Asda, I mean as opposed to mega Asda.

As for the need to walk, I see your point, in the days of obesity, people don't like to walk too far. However, the plans remind me a little of Wetherby where they have been able to incorporate the whole precinct around a large Morrisons and yes, people are prepared to walk through th etown to their cars. 

--- End quote ---

Duke, Let's not get into the world of obesity again. Your constant reference to the word has gone far beyond the point of tedium.

My understanding of the Chadwick Street Development is that your understanding is a misunderstanding. I thought that the proposed development (sales area only) of the scheme was 25,000 sq ft whereas the Co-op comes in at 16,000 plus sq ft. This makes the new supermarket around 64% bigger than the existing co-op. I wouldn't call that small Duke - would you ? 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version