Marple Health - for Wholefoods and Supplements to look GOOD and feel GREAT!

Author Topic: Regarding "Cheap" Food  (Read 35788 times)

richard

Re: Regarding "Cheap" Food
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 07:09:58 PM »
Bakers will bake only during the night to ensure they have a super fresh product on the day of sale. To ask bakers to bake all day does not make any sense at all. Why would they bake all day to have product left over when the shop closes. To any small food business the obvious choice would be to sell out and ensure good stock rotation. Don't be fooled by the supermarkets baking all day. I can guarantee that they do not bake anything fresh, they just pre  programme an oven for a part baked product filled with a huge amount of additives and unnecessary ingredients and pass it off as a fresh baked loaf. The best policy is to  buy fresh, as early as possible from a good baker, deli,food store etc and enjoy a product made with love and lots of attention from somebody who cares and not from a supermarket who don't care who you are so long as you buy from them. Rant over

wheels

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 03:35:20 PM »
Well said Ringi in fact a good example of a good product and poor customer service

ringi

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »

Some of your posting I agree with wheels . The staying open later. Can't see it working .archers for instance most of there bread and cakes have gone by three to three  thirty .they do start baking early well before seven

They chose to do the baking only early, if they cared about customers they could do the braking so they still had fresh bread in stock at the times that customers wish to shop.

amazon

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 01:51:02 PM »
A sunday is the second busiest day in footfall for supermarkets.
If a supermarket opened on chadwick st or hibbert lane it would be crazy if other retailers did not grasp this opportunity.

That's a way of if at all .

Bluezorro

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »
A sunday is the second busiest day in footfall for supermarkets.
If a supermarket opened on chadwick st or hibbert lane it would be crazy if other retailers did not grasp this opportunity.

richard

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 05:56:27 AM »
Opening Sundays is all well and good but for smaller businesses this is probably not a viable option with the increased cost in wages, staff etc. I for one like to stay at home on Sundays and have a day with my family and not go to the local shops. Ii may be that the independents need to realign there opening hours to suit the needs of the local population but even that is no guarantee that extra business will be generated as as stated on this forum, most people will still do their main shopping at a supermarket.

Bluezorro

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2013, 10:47:41 PM »
well said wheels

wheels

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 10:40:51 PM »
Well Amazon   you can't blame many people for not using Archers if they chose to open for basically only half a day. I would suggest that for many independent retailers hours of 12-8 would be more reasonable and I am not sure there is sufficient business for them to be opening Monday and Tueday at all.

We are no longer in the 1950s that I certainly remember as a child and yet the independent retail sector seems stuck in that time.

Bluezorro

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 08:43:39 PM »
All shops need to assess the marketplace and decide whether they need to trade on sundsys or not.
Tourists and people who work saturdays need to be catered for.

amazon

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 08:36:11 PM »
Apart from the coop and iceland no food offerings on sundays.

But would you use them it's no good opening Sundays just for a handful of people that may use them .it does cost money to open wages don't know what they pay for Sunday working .it won't work .

Bluezorro

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 08:20:52 PM »
Apart from the coop and iceland no food offerings on sundays.

amazon

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 08:02:12 PM »
You can not blame supermarkets for the decline in the independent sector. Independent retailers have declined because local people just do not want to use them. And they don't use them for a whole variety of reasons, change in work pattern as highlighted by JMC is one but also other cultural factors have also brough about their demise for example we are now all used to and want a wider range of exotic foods which the independents often don't stock.

This is quite apart from the fact that they open for very short periods during the day usually 9-5 (closing even earlier if your a bakers)  meaning many of us just can't use them even if we wanted to as we are at work. I will leave aside higher prices and poor customer service.

Some of your posting I agree with wheels . The staying open later. Can't see it working .archers for instance most of there bread and cakes have gone by three to three  thirty .they do start baking early well before seven

Butchers don't think they need to . You just want to cater for a small minority .coop is open late if anybody wants that .icelands six I think boots five thirty .

Bluezorro

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 07:32:29 PM »
A tescos used to be in the shopping centre in hyde before asda opened , so the arrival of asda would have had little impact on the market.

Bluezorro

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
And in some cases poor quality food for expensive prices.

wheels

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 04:00:40 PM »
You can not blame supermarkets for the decline in the independent sector. Independent retailers have declined because local people just do not want to use them. And they don't use them for a whole variety of reasons, change in work pattern as highlighted by JMC is one but also other cultural factors have also brough about their demise for example we are now all used to and want a wider range of exotic foods which the independents often don't stock.

This is quite apart from the fact that they open for very short periods during the day usually 9-5 (closing even earlier if your a bakers)  meaning many of us just can't use them even if we wanted to as we are at work. I will leave aside higher prices and poor customer service.