Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Regarding "Cheap" Food  (Read 35444 times)

Bluezorro

Re: Regarding "Cheap" Food
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
Alex, if a new supermarket open on chadwick st brought 1000 customers on a sunday would you open to take advantage.

amazon

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2013, 07:51:29 PM »
There just one example of the poor customer service due to outdated opening hours of the independents in Marple to compete they have to compete not just on price but on service. That means competing on opening hours as well gone are the days when they can close at 5pm
opening hours what for we are open till 6 every day in marple we start at 7, between 5-6 at night we may get 1 maybe 2 customers we only stay open coz we are cleaning, we are a indepent shop we are a business we are there to make money not to waste money, we would have to take about 100 pound every hour to stay open to pay the staff, so that is about 10 to 15 customers in the shop.. if you look up market st about 5 when all the shops are still open its dead.. who is going to park there cars and walk around at 7 at night in the rain, nobody... so if that is poor customer service we are sorry.. :'(.

Well said Wheels likes. To think  he can win every argument this time he can't .

alex

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »
There just one example of the poor customer service due to outdated opening hours of the independents in Marple to compete they have to compete not just on price but on service. That means competing on opening hours as well gone are the days when they can close at 5pm
opening hours what for we are open till 6 every day in marple we start at 7, between 5-6 at night we may get 1 maybe 2 customers we only stay open coz we are cleaning, we are a indepent shop we are a business we are there to make money not to waste money, we would have to take about 100 pound every hour to stay open to pay the staff, so that is about 10 to 15 customers in the shop.. if you look up market st about 5 when all the shops are still open its dead.. who is going to park there cars and walk around at 7 at night in the rain, nobody... so if that is poor customer service we are sorry.. :'(.

wheels

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 05:38:16 PM »

alex

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2013, 05:21:31 PM »
Alex, iceland has been open on sundays for nearly a year not just for the run up to christmas.
Have you ever been to tescos glosssop or portwood, asda hyde or ashton on a sunday?

yer there busy with people who work all week in shops  ;)

alex

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2013, 05:20:13 PM »
You seem to be ignoring the majority who would have shopped their but are unable. How were you able to get there during the working day.
its just hard luck if you cant get there in time it closes, why dont you buy your stuff you want from near you work? the people who live in marple and work in marple surport them.

what is your grapp with achers? all the bakers in marple open and close at about the same time.

wheels

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »
You seem to be ignoring the majority who would have shopped their but are unable. How were you able to get there during the working day.

amazon

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »
Bakers will bake only during the night to ensure they have a super fresh product on the day of sale. To ask bakers to bake all day does not make any sense at all. Why would they bake all day to have product left over when the shop closes. To any small food business the obvious choice would be to sell out and ensure good stock rotation. Don't be fooled by the supermarkets baking all day. I can guarantee that they do not bake anything fresh, they just pre  programme an oven for a part baked product filled with a huge amount of additives and unnecessary ingredients and pass it off as a fresh baked loaf. The best policy is to  buy fresh, as early as possible from a good baker, deli,food store etc and enjoy a product made with love and lots of attention from somebody who cares and not from a supermarket who don't care who you are so long as you buy from them. Rant over

I accept that except that I think some of us are suggesting that the selling need not start until mid day and the baking can be done in the morning thus having the product available when most of us would want to buy between say 4pm and 7.30pm.

Your struggling at bit hear wheels .if. Most  of us would want to buy at that time why are archers sold out at
three . This morning at eleven not much left on the shelves .

wheels

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »
Alex,

No I don't mean me most people leave for work between 7 and 10 and get back into Marple between 4.30 and 7 and thus are unable to use local shops. Are you suggesting local shops should be the preserve of the elderly alone.

A more European approach to out shopping habits is not what people demand.

Bluezorro

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »
Alex, iceland has been open on sundays for nearly a year not just for the run up to christmas.
Have you ever been to tescos glosssop or portwood, asda hyde or ashton on a sunday?

alex

« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 10:28:13 PM »
Bakers will bake only during the night to ensure they have a super fresh product on the day of sale. To ask bakers to bake all day does not make any sense at all. Why would they bake all day to have product left over when the shop closes. To any small food business the obvious choice would be to sell out and ensure good stock rotation. Don't be fooled by the supermarkets baking all day. I can guarantee that they do not bake anything fresh, they just pre  programme an oven for a part baked product filled with a huge amount of additives and unnecessary ingredients and pass it off as a fresh baked loaf. The best policy is to  buy fresh, as early as possible from a good baker, deli,food store etc and enjoy a product made with love and lots of attention from somebody who cares and not from a supermarket who don't care who you are so long as you buy from them. Rant over

I accept that except that I think some of us are suggesting that the selling need not start until mid day and the baking can be done in the morning thus having the product available when most of us would want to buy between say 4pm and 7.30pm.
betwwen 4pm and 730 when most of us?? no you mean you

alex

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 10:26:25 PM »
Well Amazon   you can't blame many people for not using Archers if they chose to open for basically only half a day. I would suggest that for many independent retailers hours of 12-8 would be more reasonable and I am not sure there is sufficient business for them to be opening Monday and Tueday at all.

We are no longer in the 1950s that I certainly remember as a child and yet the independent retail sector seems stuck in that time.
wheels  Archers business plan most be bad how long have they been there?? they have staff that start work at 4 in the morning, then the shop is open 930 till 5, 6 days a week... why open at 12-8 coz there are more people who going shopping between 9-12 then 5-8 so all shops should open for a couple of people... How about people be better organised, :o :o
A sunday is the second busiest day in footfall for supermarkets.
If a supermarket opened on chadwick st or hibbert lane it would be crazy if other retailers did not grasp this opportunity.
well iceland was open on sundays with the run to xmas, and they had 12 people in the shop all day, did'nt pay for 1 member of staff...

wheels

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 10:14:56 PM »
Bakers will bake only during the night to ensure they have a super fresh product on the day of sale. To ask bakers to bake all day does not make any sense at all. Why would they bake all day to have product left over when the shop closes. To any small food business the obvious choice would be to sell out and ensure good stock rotation. Don't be fooled by the supermarkets baking all day. I can guarantee that they do not bake anything fresh, they just pre  programme an oven for a part baked product filled with a huge amount of additives and unnecessary ingredients and pass it off as a fresh baked loaf. The best policy is to  buy fresh, as early as possible from a good baker, deli,food store etc and enjoy a product made with love and lots of attention from somebody who cares and not from a supermarket who don't care who you are so long as you buy from them. Rant over

amazon

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2013, 08:21:25 PM »
Bakers will bake only during the night to ensure they have a super fresh product on the day of sale. To ask bakers to bake all day does not make any sense at all. Why would they bake all day to have product left over when the shop closes. To any small food business the obvious choice would be to sell out and ensure good stock rotation. Don't be fooled by the supermarkets baking all day. I can guarantee that they do not bake anything fresh, they just pre  programme an oven for a part baked product filled with a huge amount of additives and unnecessary ingredients and pass it off as a fresh baked loaf. The best policy is to  buy fresh, as early as possible from a good baker, deli,food store etc and enjoy a product made with love and lots of attention from somebody who cares and not from a supermarket who don't care who you are so long as you buy from them. Rant over

Another sensible posting .

amazon

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 08:20:24 PM »

Some of your posting I agree with wheels . The staying open later. Can't see it working .archers for instance most of there bread and cakes have gone by three to three  thirty .they do start baking early well before seven

They chose to do the baking only early, if they cared about customers they could do the braking so they still had fresh bread in stock at the times that customers wish to shop.

What time would that be then .