A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road  (Read 20626 times)

CTCREP

Re: A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 12:53:51 PM »
From the previous reply:-"Agree with you Amazon, something needs to be done the traffic from Marple, Romiley, Bredbury etc is just hideous in the rush 2-3 hours morning and evening."

Trouble is, I don't see how this link is going to benefit Marple etc. As a cyclist I am pleased to see it includes a cycle-path, but yet again, how do we get to the cycle-path from Marple? Although you could use the Middlewood Way for part of the journey, it still means you have to clean your bike after every journey and coping with rush hour traffic elsewhere.

Neil Smith

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 11:43:39 PM »
I used to work for the company that did the original Enviromental Survey (rare animals, newts etc) in the late 1990's so the idea for these two roads (Airport & Bredbury) must have been planned in the early 1990's as the ES is not done until after the roads, junctions etc have been designed and approved by the Highways Agency and local councils etc which will take a few years for projects of this size. The projects were shelved due to funding.

Wll lets hope its shelved again
Let's go back to the dark ages .of coal fires and smog . And tripe and onions and dripping on toast .

Agree with you Amazon, something needs to be done the traffic from Marple, Romiley, Bredbury etc is just hideous in the rush 2-3 hours morning and evening.

amazon

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 08:57:10 PM »
I used to work for the company that did the original Enviromental Survey (rare animals, newts etc) in the late 1990's so the idea for these two roads (Airport & Bredbury) must have been planned in the early 1990's as the ES is not done until after the roads, junctions etc have been designed and approved by the Highways Agency and local councils etc which will take a few years for projects of this size. The projects were shelved due to funding.

Let's go back to the dark ages .of coal fires and smog . And tripe and onions and dripping on toast .

wheels

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 07:37:56 PM »

rsh

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 04:54:20 PM »
As useful as the final piece to Bredbury would be, I'm not sure I could sit with the lower Goyt Valley being ruined for that cause. The extra bit of road which surely needs to happen along with this proposal though is the loop around from the A6 at Simpsons Corner to the stub of road built at Sainsbury's; effectively a Hazel Grove/A6 bypass. This would also open up a junction for the new road on the A626 Offerton Rd. As it stands this new road will only make traffic worse through Hazel Grove, and via Torkington Rd and Windlehurst to Marple and east.

the rover

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:29:51 AM »

Neil Smith

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19:53 PM »
This has been going on for as long as I can remember (I would say 30+ years) so 5 more will not do any harm :o ??? :-\ :'(

Duke Fame

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 10:10:20 PM »
According to the Messenger newspaper dated February 21st 1992, Stockport Council issued a compulsory purchase order to buy the land for the link from Bredbury to Hazel Grove, having printed 'A first view of the revised route for the A6M' in October 1989.
Perhaps the five year plan is a bit more than 'a tad' optimistic !

The money that was spent on this at the beginning services moved pylons water mains. .not far of. Twenty million . And that's years ago . The link is already in coperated in the motorway at Bredbury .

In the time the council diddled. Tesco built their bit in no time at all. Perhaps we need a private road network.

Good news though, we need people to be less precious about rare breeds of worm and get on with making it easier to get about and do business

amazon

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 08:57:57 PM »
According to the Messenger newspaper dated February 21st 1992, Stockport Council issued a compulsory purchase order to buy the land for the link from Bredbury to Hazel Grove, having printed 'A first view of the revised route for the A6M' in October 1989.

The money that was spent on this at the beginning services moved pylons water mains. .not far of. Twenty million . And that's years ago . The link is already in coperated in the motorway at Bredbury .

tonyjones

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »

the rover

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »
Bredbury bypass the one that should happen .

Agreed!

amazon

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »
Great news - bring it on!  Though the five-year time scale looks a tad optimistic to me - just wait for someone to find a rare species of natterjack toad living somewhere between Poynton and Bramhall ......    ;D

A rally bad idea more road space to be filled up within a very short time.
Bredbury bypass the one that should happen .

wheels

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »
Great news - bring it on!  Though the five-year time scale looks a tad optimistic to me - just wait for someone to find a rare species of natterjack toad living somewhere between Poynton and Bramhall ......    ;D

A rally bad idea more road space to be filled up within a very short time.

Dave

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:23:35 AM »

Marple Business Forum

A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
The first phase of consultation on the A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road is open between 22nd October 2012 and 25th January 2013.

The proposed A6 to Manchester Airport Relief Road will provide approximately 10 kilometres of new dual carriageway from the A6 near Hazel Grove (south east Stockport) to Manchester Airport via the existing A555.

A new pedestrian and cycle route is proposed for the whole length of the scheme including the existing A555.

More information can be found here: http://www.semmms.info.