A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: A new Supermarket on Chadwick Street Car Park site - Poll  (Read 19915 times)

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
Re: A new Supermarket on Chadwick Street Car Park site - Poll
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 06:40:30 PM »
I'm surprised so many people think that developing the car park is a good idea.  Come on people, wake up - we NEED to keep it a car park. 

The majority of Marple residents shop from their cars - no problem with that, it's merely the consequence of a decades of integrating the car into a sophisticated society.  But it means if we reduce the currently inadequate supply of parking spaces, the town will suffer further.   The arguments against redeveloping the school site were around the impact on the town centre.  How on earth is it better to stick a supermarket in the middle and reduce car parking to impractical levels?  If it were to go that way, then in few years this forum will be full of hand wringing about there being nowhere to park and it being easier to drive to the nearest supermarket with adequate parking....

That particular penny dropped a long time ago, but it got lost amongst the cheering of the rabid crowds basking in the glow of seeing off Asda.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Rebel_in_retirement

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
I'm surprised so many people think that developing the car park is a good idea.  Come on people, wake up - we NEED to keep it a car park. 

The majority of Marple residents shop from their cars - no problem with that, it's merely the consequence of a decades of integrating the car into a sophisticated society.  But it means if we reduce the currently inadequate supply of parking spaces, the town will suffer further.   The arguments against redeveloping the school site were around the impact on the town centre.  How on earth is it better to stick a supermarket in the middle and reduce car parking to impractical levels?  If it were to go that way, then in few years this forum will be full of hand wringing about there being nowhere to park and it being easier to drive to the nearest supermarket with adequate parking....

the rover

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 10:10:33 AM »
So, Marple is a "village"? A village...... with a huge secondary school, a sixth form college, a swimming baths, a cinema, two railway stations........it's hardly Emmerdale is it?

Marple is only classed as a town by some people due to its population, since I was a kid it has always had its swimming baths, a cinema, two railway stations, its own theatre, Roman Lakes, good bus routes etc. When I was a kid Marple was a country village surrounded by fields, these fields are now housing estates. Rose Hill, Marple Hall, Norbury Drive, Woodville Drive, 7 Stiles, Hawk Green etc and I am only 59 years old. The boundaries of Marple have not changed just the population and the redevelopment needed to cater for this increase in population.

ringi

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 10:35:40 PM »

A village for goodnesssake Marple is a suburb of Stockport.

Interestingly I don’t think of Marple as being a suburb of Stockport, I tent to more think of Maple as a suburb of Manchester as that is where the train goes and where a lot of the locals with good jobs tent to work.

wheels

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 11:14:03 PM »
The whole point is do you or do you not feel you need another supermarket in Marple (which may be called a town but its infrastructure is no more than a village awaiting a by-pass) and if you do will the infrastructure, roads, businesses, and residents support the influx of visitors from out of town as well as the residents of Marple. If you believe the answer is yes and Marple gets a new supermarket, then I am afraid the people most affected by it will have to suffer the consequences if you don't see who could be affected the most.

A village for goodnesssake Marple is a suburb of Stockport.

Bowden Guy

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »
So, Marple is a "village"? A village...... with a huge secondary school, a sixth form college, a swimming baths, a cinema, two railway stations........it's hardly Emmerdale is it?

marplefan

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 05:12:48 PM »
The whole point is do you or do you not feel you need another supermarket in Marple (which may be called a town but its infrastructure is no more than a village awaiting a by-pass) and if you do will the infrastructure, roads, businesses, and residents support the influx of visitors from out of town as well as the residents of Marple. If you believe the answer is yes and Marple gets a new supermarket, then I am afraid the people most affected by it will have to suffer the consequences if you don't see who could be affected the most.

elpram

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 12:46:25 PM »
I've gone with "not bothered either way" because ...well, in principle, it doesn't bother me if the site is not redeveloped but if it was then that would be OK too. I would be happy to see the college site supermarket development shelved and if that if effected by development of Chadwick St site then I'd see it as the lesser of two evils with shoppers kept slap bang in the centre of Marple and a bit of competition for/variation from Co-op.

However overall, having lived in Marple, out of choice, for 10 years, I've never hankered after another supermarket here! A shoe shop or clothes shop maybe.....

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 12:35:55 PM »
I'm just bumping this up so that it doesn't get buried by everyone's favourite topic.

Interesting results so far - no objections at all yet, a couple not bothered and the rest in favour saying it's a good idea.

Do we have any residents of the Chadwick Street area on the forum? It would be good to hear their views too.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »
It's been suggested we have a poll on this topic, so registered users can now vote once only in this thread. Votes are anonymous - nobody can tell how you have voted. Of course you can tell us how and why you voted in this thread too if you wish........

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted yourself.
I've voted it's a good idea . We need a choice to the coop .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
A new Supermarket on Chadwick Street Car Park site - Poll
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 07:14:35 PM »
It's been suggested we have a poll on this topic, so registered users can now vote once only in this thread. Votes are anonymous - nobody can tell how you have voted. Of course you can tell us how and why you voted in this thread too if you wish........

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted yourself.

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website