Estate agency, done differently in Marple and District

Author Topic: Speculation about which Supermarket it might be  (Read 57888 times)

JMC

Re: Speculation about which Supermarket it might be
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 10:03:32 AM »
Does anyone think we will end up with a supermarket on both sites?

amazon

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »
I like Aldi. Yes it is a little 'odd' at first but the prices and products are great. I think a lot of people are just brand snobs and think cheap is aways awful without ever trying it.
There's a lot of silly snobbery about Aldi - mostly from people who've never shopped there. Aldi's run-of-the-mill products  are good quality and stand up well to more famous brands (Corale baked beans - much nicer than Heinz!) and they have a lot of lines which would be on the speciality food shelves at inflated prices in "posher" supermarkets. The staff are pleasant and helpful and the stores' rather arcane selections of cooking pots, gardening stuff, clothing, tools, etc., etc., are always entertaining and often useful.

I shop in Aldi about once a month when I'm passing but do all my greengrocery, meat and bakery shopping in independent shops in Marple, have my milk delivered by a local firm and use the Co-op for "emergencies". Whilst my heart would like Waitrose on Chadwick Street, my head thinks Aldi would be a better bet!

Glad you think so .i preference Asda really .wii be a lot easier when it comes to marple .

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2012, 05:06:28 AM »
I like Aldi. Yes it is a little 'odd' at first but the prices and products are great. I think a lot of people are just brand snobs and think cheap is aways awful without ever trying it.
There's a lot of silly snobbery about Aldi - mostly from people who've never shopped there. Aldi's run-of-the-mill products  are good quality and stand up well to more famous brands (Corale baked beans - much nicer than Heinz!) and they have a lot of lines which would be on the speciality food shelves at inflated prices in "posher" supermarkets. The staff are pleasant and helpful and the stores' rather arcane selections of cooking pots, gardening stuff, clothing, tools, etc., etc., are always entertaining and often useful.

I shop in Aldi about once a month when I'm passing but do all my greengrocery, meat and bakery shopping in independent shops in Marple, have my milk delivered by a local firm and use the Co-op for "emergencies". Whilst my heart would like Waitrose on Chadwick Street, my head thinks Aldi would be a better bet!

simonesaffron

« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2012, 08:06:07 AM »
Wheels,

That is always assuming that I have ever made any in the past.

wheels

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2012, 11:09:57 PM »
The danger to informed opinion is when we attempt to substantiate our assumptions as absolutes or even worse when we believe that we have done so. 

You mean like this?
ASDA have undertaken to do the College refurbishment themselves or at least with their own contractors

I thought that it was common knowledge, maybe it has just been said so many times that it has gone into folklore. 
   ;)

You seem to be spending a lot of time these days Dave, in a state of vicarious writing. 

What you on Simone you hav not been making any sense for the last couple of days

simonesaffron

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2012, 10:52:41 PM »
The danger to informed opinion is when we attempt to substantiate our assumptions as absolutes or even worse when we believe that we have done so. 

You mean like this?
ASDA have undertaken to do the College refurbishment themselves or at least with their own contractors

I thought that it was common knowledge, maybe it has just been said so many times that it has gone into folklore. 
   ;)

You seem to be spending a lot of time these days Dave, in a state of vicarious writing. 

Dave

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »

You mean like this?

;)

simonesaffron

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
Afraid I can't Amazon, I speak as I spake - so to speak.

amazon

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:43 AM »
Dave,

In the absence of absolutes we have to make assumptions without which there would be silence. The danger to informed opinion is when we attempt to substantiate our assumptions as absolutes or even worse when we believe that we have done so. 
Would you like to translate that Simon please

simonesaffron

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2012, 07:56:46 AM »
Dave,

In the absence of absolutes we have to make assumptions without which there would be silence. The danger to informed opinion is when we attempt to substantiate our assumptions as absolutes or even worse when we believe that we have done so. 

Dave

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 06:30:33 PM »
"Gross retail area", "access and construction issues", "decontamination," you're making it up by guessing and hoping.

What I'm trying to argue, Simone, is simply that these factors are unknowns.  So we can't necessarily assume that Chadwick Street would be a financially more attractive proposition for Asda than Hibbert Lane, which is what I thought you were implying when you wrote:
who is to say that ASDA won't abandon CAMSFC and become Kirkland's client in a kind of plan B thus saving themselves the cost of the College refurbishment and still gaining the presence that they want in Marple.  

And believe me, Hibbert Lane will almost certainly be a much easier and cheaper site to build on than Chadwick Street would be - that is self-evident.

As for this:
I thought that it was common knowledge.

....in that case we can safely discount it.   ;)

simonesaffron

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 05:46:57 PM »
It's all to do with the Joint Enabling/Planning Application and it gives answers to the questions How do we know that CAMSFC aren't just going to take the money and run ? What commitment does ASDA have to the education of young people in Marple? Maybe not too convincing to those that are tinged with cynicism answers but answers nevertheless. 

simonesaffron

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »
Please tell me what these "whole heap of other factors" are ?

Here's a few for starters:

1.  Gross retail area, which obviously has a significant bearing on takings.  The Hibbert lane is likely to have more net space, and therefore a higher projected turnover.
2.  Access and construction issues.  Hibbert Lane is a level site and should be easy (and therefore cheap) to build on - plenty of space for plant and site cabins, easy access for lorries. Chadwick/Trinity Street is on a slope and is a more constricted site - less room for access, cabins, tower crane etc. Therefore likely to be a more costly build.
3.  Hibbert Lane will have a fuel forecourt, unlike Chadwick Street.  Therefore significantly more revenue.
4.  Geology/decontamination.  Chadwick Street may have an industrial past (I don't know, just guessing), which may mean decontamination costs. 

So Chadwick Street may be a more economic option for Asda than Hibbert Lane - or it may not.  Without detailed and expert analysis, we really can't know.   

Meanwhile, this is very interesting: 

What's your source for that, Simone? 

Dave,

"Gross retail area", "access and construction issues", "decontamination," you're making it up by guessing and hoping. Fuel revenue, I'll concede on that one, fair point.

Don't actually recall my source, I would tell if I could. I thought that it was common knowledge, maybe it has just been said so many times that it has gone into folklore.   

Dave

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 05:27:47 PM »
Yes, I do remember that post, but as a former college governor I think it's highly unlikely that the college's legal advisors or their funding council (the EFA) would permit the college to procure a new building in such a roundabout way.  Even simple construction contracts are a lawyer's paradise, with complex legal agreements between all parties involved, and serious liabilities and penalties for any party which fails to comply with its contractual obligations.  The mind boggles at the legal agreements which would be required if a college building were contracted out to a supermarket, which the sub-contracted it to a construction firm!   It's all too risky. 

And why would anyone want to do it that way anyway?   I can't see any reason why 'Asda would have an interest in ensuring that the proceeds of the sale are spent on the rebuilding of Buxton Lane'. If the joint planning application is successful, the college and Asda will no doubt enter in to a binding agreement, with an agreed date for the completion of building works at Buxton Lane and the resulting vacating of Hibbert Lane by the college.  If Asda can't get on site at Hibbert Lane by the due date, because the Buxton Lane development has overrun, there will be penalties paid by the college to Asda.   

alstan

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 05:01:35 PM »
Dave , I think Simone may well be correct. I don't know if you saw my post on 26th September as follows
"I take your point with regard to funding Dave but Asda would have an interest in ensuring that the proceeds of the sale are spent on the rebuilding of Buxton Lane and would be equally reluctant to lose control of the funds until the work is completed.  Indeed they can hardly do so as they presumably cannot gain access to Hibbert Lane until the students move out into the newly built Buxton Lane premises. The entitlement of the college to the proceeds of the sale would probably arise at the same time as title in the Hibbert Lane site passed  and I would have thought that it would be possible to devise a contract whereby the proceeds of the sale are the construction by Asda of a new building on the Buxton Lane site on completion of which title in the Hibbert Lane site would pass to Asda.  Anyway I am only speculating and too much time has been wasted on that already."
It was written in response to a post of yours saying that there is no way that the college would allow Asda to have any control of the money once title had passed. However, the consideration under the contract of sale does not have to be cash and I think that, given Asda's complete dependence on the rebuilding of Buxton Lane, the consideration might well be the refurbishment of Buxton Lane by Asda.