Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Fighting Dirty  (Read 53300 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Fighting Dirty
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 03:24:26 PM »
Ok, I've added a poll - get voting to see that letter!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »
I think Victor IS Miss Marple. After all, has anyone ever seen them together.... ;-)

amazon

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »
I am also interested to know Victor. Will you have to get it from Miss Marple?

Sorry to disappoint but Miss Marple would not have a clue about what I'm talking about.

She now works for ASDA ,

wheels

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2012, 02:15:58 PM »
I would suggest to Victor and others that if you want to see letters sent to local councillors then get yourself elected as a councillor. I  always have respect for those who at leaset put themselves forward for election but those who cannot be bothered to even go through the effort of being elected but still expect the same rights and involvement as those who have are frankly arrogant and often self serving.

Victor M

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2012, 02:11:20 PM »

Sorry to disappoint but Miss Marple would not have a clue about what I'm talking about.

sooty2

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2012, 02:03:38 PM »

Victor M

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 01:45:40 PM »
I'm interested too.....

When it reaches 10 I will divulge all, but really will it make any of you change your mind if I can prove that ASDA's spin doctors can't be trusted?

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
Also - What did the letter sent to all Councillors say? I'm interested

I'm interested too.....
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Tricky

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2012, 10:36:04 AM »
Victor.. haven't you answered own argument there..?

ASDA's bid was without planning permission..

TESCO's bid was "only IF they had permission".. (which, of course, they didn't have)

So.. Armed with that information.. Tesco's bid sort of becomes irrelevant doesn't it? and the College accepts ASDAs bid.. (which, presumably, was higher than housing/waitrose)

Also - What did the letter sent to all Councillors say? I'm interested
meh

Dave

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2012, 10:34:07 AM »

In the end ASDA's bid for the site (without planning permission) was bigger than Tesco, who by the way bid the highest amount for the land but only if it had planning permission.

This is very interesting indeed.  Maybe I've been dozy, but I was not aware that Asda had acquired the site unconditionally, and will therefore remain owners even if they don't get planning consent.  If that is the case, they are taking quite a risk.  What is the source for this fascinating information, Victor? 

As for this:

Therefore all this talk of "The college has to sell the land to the highest bidder" is rubbish. The highest bidder was Tesco and they decided not to sell to them!
.... I have to plead guilty to using misleading words.  It's not rubbish, but I could have expressed it more accurately.  I've been a college governor (not at camsfc), and I know a bit about this.  The basis of it lies in the governors' statutory duty to 'safeguard the assets of the institution', which is enshrined in the Instrument and Articles of all college governing bodies.  This means, among many other things, that when the governors dispose of land or any other assets, they have a duty to do so on the best terms - so I should have used the words 'the best offer' rather than 'the highest bidder'.   Given the obvious difficulties in getting planning permission for a supermarket in an area zoned for housing, the college and their legal advisers must have been astonished to receive an unconditional offer from Asda, and I can quite see that the lawyers could have advised the governors that an unconditional offer was a much better one than a higher offer which was conditional on getting planning consent.  I hope that clarifies the position, and my apologies if I caused any confusion. 

Meanwhile, I'm wondering why Victor is being so coy about Asda's letter to the councillors.  Is there something there he doesn't want us to see  :o

Victor M

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2012, 09:57:47 AM »
£9m may have been a sum banded about (I don't remember seeing any proof of this - happy if anyone can point me in this direction)
There were 3 short listed developers interested in the Hibbert Lane site, Tesco, Asda and a developer from Altrincham who was involved with Waitrose. The proposed bid from Waitrose & the developer included a small supermarket and housing. This bid was sidelined by the college in favour of Asda or Tesco. In the end ASDA's bid for the site (without planning permission) was bigger than Tesco, who by the way bid the highest amount for the land but only if it had planning permission. Therefore all this talk of "The college has to sell the land to the highest bidder" is rubbish. The highest bidder was Tesco and they decided not to sell to them!

Tricky

« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2012, 09:28:37 AM »
Don't forget the College have already turned down a bid for £9M from a developer for the Hibbert Lane site.

I still can't see how someone other than a supermarket could make this land pay..

£9m may have been a sum banded about (I don't remember seeing any proof of this - happy if anyone can point me in this direction) - but there's no way a housing development would be profitable on the school building's footprint.

Even using the whole site including the open space I couldn't imagine a developer making profit from houses. Not with a £9m bid. 

meh

Victor M

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 09:07:26 AM »
Victor,

What did the letter sent to all Councillors say?

Harry, unfortunately most people on this forum (apart from yourself) don't seem interested that Asda's PR spin machine is telling porkies. If more people were concerned I'd make my evidence public.

Victor M

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 09:04:20 AM »
At which point, the governors' legal obligation to sell to the highest bidder still remains - it would still go to a supermarket.   

If the land cannot get planning permission for a Supermarket then it is worth diddly squat to a Supermarket, so the highest bidder would be a housing developer. Don't forget the College have already turned down a bid for £9M from a developer for the Hibbert Lane site. That coupled with the sale of land at Cheadle would have financed the refurbishment of Buxton Lane. One reason they may not want to sell the land at Cheadle is if they have expansion plans for that site, if they have I wonder where the money will come from?

Dave

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 07:01:08 PM »
They could also look at selling vacant land they own at the Cheadle site, and using the proceeds of that sale to revamp Buxton Lane.

That would achieve nothing as far as those who oppose the supermarket are concerned.  Here's why.  If (and it's a big if) there is land on camsfc's Cheadle campus which is surplus to requirements and worth enough to finance a rebuild at Buxton Lane (i.e. about £12 million), then the college will still end up vacating and selling off the Hibbert Lane campus.  At which point, the governors' legal obligation to sell to the highest bidder still remains - it would still go to a supermarket.