Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Fighting Dirty  (Read 52990 times)

Re: Fighting Dirty
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 05:20:14 PM »
"The results speak for themselves!!!

Aquinas Coll    706    888.7

Cheadle and Marple Sixth Form Coll    884    663.9

Stockport Coll    399   654.6

The 1st figure is the number of students on roll and the second is the number of A/AS points per pupil."

So spake Victor M

The results do indeed speak for themselves:

At a recent  meeting with parents the Marple results were provided for those in attendance

At A level a 99.6% pass rate with 43.9% of students getting grade A or B
Level 3 Vocational pass rate of 100%
Level 2 Vocational pass rate of 100%
The highest value added score in Stockport

Give the staff and students the facilities that they deserve and who knows what could be achieved.

Dave

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 01:27:43 PM »
I was talking to one of our local Councillors over the week-end and he/she (I won't name, it was a casual conversation) said ..."surely the prospective education of our young People and the continuance of the College in Marple is just as important if not more important to the people of Marple than where we buy our groceries from". And you know he/she is right !           

Good grief - a Marple councillor says something sensible on this subject at last!   I don't know which one it was, Simone, and I'm not asking you to tell us, but sadly there are other councillors who do not take such a sensible view.   :(

JMC

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
I don't agree that people should 'take action' as not everybody is against the proposal. Indeed many people are either not bothered either way or in favour.

We need the new college and need more competition for the co-op. Only the Asda proposal can do both. Chadwick street won't help with lower prices unless the supermarket is an Aldi type discount store. Also many people like the idea of being able to get clothes etc from Asda.

Yes I feel for residents around the area and proposals should consider this in their plans (which they do seem to be doing).

Cyberman

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 09:33:01 AM »
..."surely the prospective education of our young People and the continuance of the College in Marple is just as important if not more important to the people of Marple than where we buy our groceries from".

But it's not just where we get our groceries from - the proposed Asda has the potential to make life in the centre of Marple much less pleasant - and I assume many College students live in Marple. Traffic, noise and pollution will get worse, and the variety of shops will reduce if smaller shops close. Perhaps the non-resident councillors can't see this.

simonesaffron

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 09:08:25 AM »
Hello Rod,

Welcome to the website. I agree with you in part, unless something happens soon with the Chadwick Street Development then ASDA will win their case to develop Hibbert Lane. But I don't know why you are mad at the Council. They didn't sell the land to ASDA, they are just faced with the problem of keeping the College in town when they have no jurisdiction over the issue. Half the local Councillors have already said that they don't want the development, that they would vote against it and whether you believe them or not, and I've got my doubts, they can't really do any more to oppose it.

Everybody seems to focus on the ASDA but not on the College. I was talking to one of our local Councillors over the week-end and he/she (I won't name, it was a casual conversation) said ..."surely the prospective education of our young People and the continuance of the College in Marple is just as important if not more important to the people of Marple than where we buy our groceries from". And you know he/she is right !           

Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 08:36:29 AM »
Students will continue voting with their feet and going to local collage's that produce far better results.
Agreed.  Which is one reason (not the only one) why the college is proposing major improvements to its facilities in Marple.  

CAMSFC has for too long been ......  concentrating on the Cheadle site at the expense of Marple and failing to look at why their results are poor compared in relation to the local cohort.   The results speak for themselves!!!

Also agreed.  Which is why it is welcome (and overdue) news that the college is now attending to the needs of  our youngsters, rather than those on the other side of the A6.  

As for OP's conspiracy theory ('it's all a fix'), the only conspiracy I'm aware of is the one between councillors, officers and our MP to do everything they can to stop the college bringing its buildings in to the 21st century.   ::)

Victor M

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 08:19:44 AM »
There would certainly be plenty of 'real anger' if our children and grandchildren were denied the vital improvements to educational facilities which the college is planning. 

A real improvement in the standard of education would be an improvement in the local collage's results. Students will continue voting with their feet and going to local collage's that produce far better results. CAMSFC has for too long been getting rid of experienced staff, concentrating on the Cheadle site at the expense of Marple and failing to look at why their results are poor compared in relation to the local cohort.

The results speak for themselves!!!

Aquinas Coll    706    888.7

Cheadle and Marple Sixth Form Coll    884    663.9

Stockport Coll    399   654.6

The 1st figure is the number of students on roll and the second is the number of A/AS points per pupil.

Dave

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 10:52:33 PM »
We need to ensure that the suits know there is real anger here

There would certainly be plenty of 'real anger' if our children and grandchildren were denied the vital improvements to educational facilities which the college is planning. 

amazon

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 08:19:00 PM »
I have followed the proposed development much like any other resident of Marple. Although I do not want the development on that site I genuinely feel that we have already lost. Crystallising my thoughts on Saturday when talking to a gentleman who wore a badge saying he was the accountant of the college. Whether he was or not is any body's guess. I queried the rule being applied by the burly security guards that only allowed 10 people in when 10 came out. Guess what reply I had?  Its a Health and Safety issue! with too many people in the dining hall. I think he failed to get my point when I asked how many students occupy that hall during the day. In other words its all a fix. A picture of the hall during the consultation will reveal a low level of interest with a few people milling around. Further a  smart suited traffic consultant was insistent that a 42 ton truck could negotiate Stockport Road and Hibbert Lane with no issues as his computer model said so. As I said, a strong whiff of the smelly stuff.

The reality is that no one will listen to a few dayglo clad residents. We need action.

I propose the residents of Hibbert Lane, Cross Lane and associated areas should attempt to calculate the reduction in property values, coupled with the near impossibility of selling until the debacle is over one way or the other.

Then; recognising that we are law abiding citizens and cannot bend rules like the council or Asda we should ALL reduce our council tax direct debit by say £20. Not enough to cause a lack of revenue to vital services BUT by the time Stockport Council Tax Department has spent time and effort sending out hundreds of reminders, summonses etc, not to mention the fact that multiple summonses for £20 will cause them to be the laughing stock of the country.

We need to ensure that the suits know there is real anger here, we need to be brave and chuck a spanner in the works and stop the wheels of this monstrosity.

And the law abiding citizens that do pay poll tax will be lumbered with a bigger bill for poll tax next year .

wheels

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 08:05:19 PM »
Since when did a reduction proptery values become a planing issue they never have been nor should be.

Further why are you dismissive of the Council the Council Leader has had her letter published here in relation to the application. Are you saying you don't believe her???????

Finally why because you and a small number of other dint like an application are you proposing to steal £20 a month from the rest of us because that's what your suggesting

Rod Sproson

Fighting Dirty
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 04:57:33 PM »
I have followed the proposed development much like any other resident of Marple. Although I do not want the development on that site I genuinely feel that we have already lost. Crystallising my thoughts on Saturday when talking to a gentleman who wore a badge saying he was the accountant of the college. Whether he was or not is any body's guess. I queried the rule being applied by the burly security guards that only allowed 10 people in when 10 came out. Guess what reply I had?  Its a Health and Safety issue! with too many people in the dining hall. I think he failed to get my point when I asked how many students occupy that hall during the day. In other words its all a fix. A picture of the hall during the consultation will reveal a low level of interest with a few people milling around. Further a  smart suited traffic consultant was insistent that a 42 ton truck could negotiate Stockport Road and Hibbert Lane with no issues as his computer model said so. As I said, a strong whiff of the smelly stuff.

The reality is that no one will listen to a few dayglo clad residents. We need action.

I propose the residents of Hibbert Lane, Cross Lane and associated areas should attempt to calculate the reduction in property values, coupled with the near impossibility of selling until the debacle is over one way or the other.

Then; recognising that we are law abiding citizens and cannot bend rules like the council or Asda we should ALL reduce our council tax direct debit by say £20. Not enough to cause a lack of revenue to vital services BUT by the time Stockport Council Tax Department has spent time and effort sending out hundreds of reminders, summonses etc, not to mention the fact that multiple summonses for £20 will cause them to be the laughing stock of the country.

We need to ensure that the suits know there is real anger here, we need to be brave and chuck a spanner in the works and stop the wheels of this monstrosity.