Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Marple vs Supermarket - latest press coverage  (Read 28681 times)

wheels

Re: Marple vs Supermarket - latest press coverage
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2012, 11:29:20 AM »
Our MP may indeed have no part to play in planning decisions such as this, but that doesn't mean his opinion doesn't matter. Whether we like it or not, MPs are 'opinion formers'. Mr Stunnell could so easily have spoken up for the only 6th form college in his constituency, and shown support for its admirable efforts to bring its facilities into the 21st century, but sadly he has conspicuously failed to do so :-(

Of course Dave he is only interested in being a populist

Dave

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2012, 11:23:55 AM »
Our MP may indeed have no part to play in planning decisions such as this, but that doesn't mean his opinion doesn't matter. Whether we like it or not, MPs are 'opinion formers'. Mr Stunnell could so easily have spoken up for the only 6th form college in his constituency, and shown support for its admirable efforts to bring its facilities into the 21st century, but sadly he has conspicuously failed to do so :-(

wheels

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2012, 10:12:10 AM »
I don't really see where the Libdems come into it.........

"News Extra" is a Liberal Democrats publication, am I missing something?

You most certainly are if you believe that what appears in it represents the view of all Libdems on this issue. It's exactly the same as believing that any party publication represents the views of all of its members all the time. To my mind it represents the view of the local MP and one local Councillor. Party reflective, I'll grant you but hardly conclusive and certainly not unanimous.       

And the views of the local MP are of no significannce at all. He is hardly part of the decision making process.

alstan

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 07:14:22 AM »
Simone, like admin I do not understand your point. Although it does not reflect the views of every member of the party the "gridlock" comment appeared in an official Libdem newsletter published, I believe, by the local constituency association.

I find it rather sad since the party has a reputation for taking the high moral ground on many issues but, in this case, they are being manipulative. "Gridlock" is an emotive word applicable to traffic paralysis. It is printed in bold in a large font and appears to be the word that the author wishes to impact on the reader, perhaps to play on their emotions rather than their reason.

Would Marple be paralysed as a result of this development? It seems unlikely but we need more information before reaching a conclusion. The only estimate I have heard is 240 traffic movements to and from the store at peak time on a Saturday. That is just 2 vehicles per minute in each direction which doesn't seem too horrendous, especially when you consider that some of those vehicles will head south from the store, away from Marple. Marple's traffic problems are largely confined to the morning and evening rush when supermarket traffic would, I suspect, be much lighter.

I think deliveries might be more of an issue but, unlike some politicians, lets wait and see.

simonesaffron

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 11:23:23 PM »

You most certainly are if you believe that what appears in it represents the view of all Libdems on this issue. It's exactly the same as believing that any party publication represents the views of all of its members all the time. To my mind it represents the view of the local MP and one local Councillor. Party reflective, I'll grant you but hardly conclusive and certainly not unanimous.       

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:16 PM »

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

simonesaffron

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 08:17:47 PM »
No Alstan, it is definitely media hysteria.

I don't really see where the Libdems come into it, as a party anyway. Stunell and Alexander just happen to be Libdems but as has been said many times before on this site there are other Libdems who have not uttered a word thus far. I do agree that we need more information about traffic in general and about traffic control measures in particular but imho I do think that ASDA will bring much more traffic to Marple of that I have no doubt. 

alstan

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2012, 05:47:39 PM »
Sadly, Simone, this appears to be LibDem hysteria rather than newspaper hysteria. Anyone who attempts to base an argument on a comparison between the traffic problems in Hazel Grove and those in Marple hasn't really got anything useful to say. It is a shame that statements like this are made before we see any estimates of traffic flows and proposals to deal with any increase. I can't see that it is possible to make a rational judgement without this information although it is of course possible to make irrational statements designed to arouse peoples fears.

Harry

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 11:04:23 AM »
Simone, you appear to have misread my post. I said that the traffic problems of Hazel Grove and Bredbury will be alleviated. I made no mention of Marple traffic.

simonesaffron

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 09:11:57 AM »
It must be recognised that the traffic problems of Hazel Grove and Bredbury are partly caused by the people of Marple travelling to these areas to do their shopping. When a new supermarket opens in Marple these said traffic problems will be alleviated somewhat.

Currently traffic travels from and  through Marple to do a supermarket shop thus dispersing from Marple. If and when ASDA comes to town traffic will travel to Marple thus converging. Whether there will be gridlock as newspaper hysteria asserts remains to be seen but traffic problems will not be alleviated they will be exacerbated.

wheels

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 09:17:31 PM »
What about people from outside marple driving in to use the new asda??

Lots of marple residents shop at tescos in portwood and glossop and asda in hyde or at eastlands.

They must be earning too much if they can afford to drive that far. ;-)

Bluezorro

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2012, 08:57:34 PM »
What about people from outside marple driving in to use the new asda??

Lots of marple residents shop at tescos in portwood and glossop and asda in hyde or at eastlands.

Harry

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
It must be recognised that the traffic problems of Hazel Grove and Bredbury are partly caused by the people of Marple travelling to these areas to do their shopping. When a new supermarket opens in Marple these said traffic problems will be alleviated somewhat.

amazon

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2012, 11:25:12 AM »
From the Liberal Democrat's NEWS EXTRA:

"ASDA Supermarket Could Cause GRIDLOCK for Marple!"

We've all seen the traffic and blight problems caused by supermarkets in Hazel Grove. It's time to learn those lessons.

PLANS for a new supermarket in Marple are causing outrage locally, with fears of traffic congestion and long-term damage to the town's shopping centre.

ASDA have applied to build on the Marple College site on Hibbert Lane - outside the shopping area, and, the traders say, it will be a direct threat to local shops and jobs. Residents fear extra traffic will bring gridlock.

"It's in clear breach of planning rules which say new shops and supermarkets should be put in existing centres, not dumped in a residential area" says Andrew Stunell MP.

Angry local residents launched a campaign against the plans last year, and have vowed to fight the application 'all the way'. Local councillors have joined the battle.

"Marple's excellent range of shops would clearly be at risk, and I have grave reservations that Hibbert Lane is able to take any more traffic than it already does." says local Councillor Shan Alexander.

Sooner it's built the better . When you get new shops on the precinct painting the out side in appalling colours it justs shows how marple is going is there no planning laws about this .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2012, 07:41:27 AM »
From the Liberal Democrat's NEWS EXTRA:

"ASDA Supermarket Could Cause GRIDLOCK for Marple!"

We've all seen the traffic and blight problems caused by supermarkets in Hazel Grove. It's time to learn those lessons.

PLANS for a new supermarket in Marple are causing outrage locally, with fears of traffic congestion and long-term damage to the town's shopping centre.

ASDA have applied to build on the Marple College site on Hibbert Lane - outside the shopping area, and, the traders say, it will be a direct threat to local shops and jobs. Residents fear extra traffic will bring gridlock.

"It's in clear breach of planning rules which say new shops and supermarkets should be put in existing centres, not dumped in a residential area" says Andrew Stunell MP.

Angry local residents launched a campaign against the plans last year, and have vowed to fight the application 'all the way'. Local councillors have joined the battle.

"Marple's excellent range of shops would clearly be at risk, and I have grave reservations that Hibbert Lane is able to take any more traffic than it already does." says local Councillor Shan Alexander.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website