Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: College and ASDA's Plans Revealed  (Read 54784 times)

Howard

Re: College and ASDA's Plans Revealed
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »
I Have just been and I have noticed that the roundabout will have 4 exits.   I was informed by Walmart that it was hoped that people would be expected to use Edwards Way down onto cross lane as a way back out of Marple   Are they crazy !
Walmart also say that there are no plans as yet for infer structure which I do not believe
Lots of people complaining about not knowing about the consultation and had only been alerted to it by MIA  :P

This roundabout is definitely one of the worst things about it. When coming to Asda from the west (from the direction of Rose Hill) then people will try to avoid going through two sets of lights and then over the mini roundabout at Hibbert Lane/Church Lane. They will either turn right on to Cross Lane and then go up Edwards Way or Buxton Lane or they will go up Church Lane and then onto Leigh Avenue then Edwards Way. Leigh Avenue is particularly difficult to get out of anyway because it intersetcs with the one-way Church Lane where people park their cars right opposite the junction on Church Lane and they also park very close to the end of Leigh Avenue leaving very little manoeuvring room.

When leaving Asda they will also try to avoid the centre by going down Edwards Way or Buxton Lane. Anyone who has tried to get out of Cross lane will know how busy that junction can be and it will only lead to more rat running through Throstle Grove or Rose Lane to get to The Drive.

I predict that anyone living on these roads will see a significant increase of traffic on them leading to greater risk for pedestrians, pets etc.

Miss Marple

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2012, 03:13:49 PM »
I Have just been and I have noticed that the roundabout will have 4 exits.   I was informed by Walmart that it was hoped that people would be expected to use Edwards Way down onto cross lane as a way back out of Marple   Are they crazy !
Walmart also say that there are no plans as yet for infer structure which I do not believe
Lots of people complaining about not knowing about the consultation and had only been alerted to it by MIA  :P

amazon

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »
I too dropped by at the college this morning to have a look at the exhibition.  Nothing very startling there - it is much as expected.  Spoke to a couple of guys from the college who seemed to me to be a tad optimistic about the time scale ('could be all done in a couple of years'), as if they expect the application to go through without the delay of going to appeal.   And they confirmed that it will be a single planning application for both the college building and the supermarket.

If it goes to appeal will it cost the councill a lot of money.

It will cost us a lot of money as it will be from our Council Tax!

Take note  all you .no against a supermarket .money that could be better spent else were in the area

wheels

« Reply #59 on: July 06, 2012, 03:01:30 PM »
I hope it comes from the Marple Area Committee budget so that other areas dont lose out

Belly

« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2012, 02:50:47 PM »
I too dropped by at the college this morning to have a look at the exhibition.  Nothing very startling there - it is much as expected.  Spoke to a couple of guys from the college who seemed to me to be a tad optimistic about the time scale ('could be all done in a couple of years'), as if they expect the application to go through without the delay of going to appeal.   And they confirmed that it will be a single planning application for both the college building and the supermarket.

It's also one of the reasons that we pay Council tax, to allow our elected bodies to defend the decisions that they make on our behalf. I've no problem with it.

the rover

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2012, 02:00:20 PM »
I too dropped by at the college this morning to have a look at the exhibition.  Nothing very startling there - it is much as expected.  Spoke to a couple of guys from the college who seemed to me to be a tad optimistic about the time scale ('could be all done in a couple of years'), as if they expect the application to go through without the delay of going to appeal.   And they confirmed that it will be a single planning application for both the college building and the supermarket.

amazon

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »

Henry_

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »
I may request that they build a community Ark on the spare land

wheels

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »
I have had my mailings. About a year late in my view had the College been open and straightforward from the start much of the misinformation would have been avoided and they could have got the community of Marple on their side from the outset. As it was there was a void of information which allowed others to move in.

Dave

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2012, 11:30:35 AM »
I too dropped by at the college this morning to have a look at the exhibition.  Nothing very startling there - it is much as expected.  Spoke to a couple of guys from the college who seemed to me to be a tad optimistic about the time scale ('could be all done in a couple of years'), as if they expect the application to go through without the delay of going to appeal.   And they confirmed that it will be a single planning application for both the college building and the supermarket.

tina

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
I got mine yesterday. I have been up this morning to look and I am happy with the plans, looks very nice :)

Miss Marple

« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
Hey panic over!  Some Walmart consultation leaflets have been delivered now !...........In Offerton  :-X   Well done Walmart for alerting the community of Marple!  But maybe this is a taste of things to come if Walmart are allowed to move into town.    Shame on you CAMSFC and Walmart you have never been honest and open with the community and continue to try to treat us as fools

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »
I agree with others... it looks ripe for something of the same size right next door!

now if they agree to build a swimming pool there......

but if its another retail development, which if asda get the go ahead will be less easy to oppose, then obviously that is a worry.  We all know that the super markets will say one thing and do another so saying they are committed to keeping it a green space is worthless as far as I am concerned.

However.. I also think it looks... ok...
Expansion is a worry, but the way they have it on these pictures makes any expansion relatively restricted/small in comparison to the whole plot.

The traffic is still my main concern though, but parking isnt massive so it wont be designed for much more than the coop an they have other similar and bigger sized stores close by. I still think even a small development will increase it significantly though.

What has irritated me beyond belief is the leading questions on that blooming leaflet though!  That is supposed to be part of their consultation? Havent got it to hand so i apologise for not copying word for word.. but would the people of Marple benefit from cheaper petrol?   I mean, how are we supposed to answer that! and the rest... I may well be writing an essay on it!!  :D

As for your question Rover.. if they build a massive store on there then I wont be shopping at Asda ever again. I am an Asda customer and have been for several years so it would be inconvenient to change but I will.  If its within what I think is ok then yes I will continue to use it.  The way they deal with the local concerns from now on will also have an impact on how I shop in the future regardless of what or if they build.

rsh

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 05:11:35 PM »

The petrol station is just to the left of the slip road, where a second entrance road curves around.

For a supermarket it looks "ok" to me. Fairly low-profile, modest signage and reasonably good materials - redbrick to match surrounding housing, lots of glass and some shape to its roof, so it's not just a big box. It's good they seem to have two entrances, one from the car park and one fronting the road, meaning you don't have to dodge cars to get into the store by foot (take note, Co-op). There's a lack of trees though, they should be dotted through the car park to soften its vast expanse, and the two impressions above are very careful about what they show. The building looks ok, but they don't exactly show how it fits into the landscape, or how the car park and petrol station look. It's hard to picture what it'd actually look like from Hibbert Lane.

And they really have done their homework. 25,000 sq ft works out at 2322m², exactly the same floorspace as Tesco at Whaley Bridge. Of course, Tesco want to extend that store now, and ASDA could well do the same here on that car park in the upper corner, who knows. But compared to the hideous white box of that Tesco and the big signage on its roof, I think this doesn't look too bad at all.

I agree the amount of land left empty is hard to believe. "We guarantee to safeguard the existing open space on the Hibbert Lane site for future community use". Well, considering this supermarket information leaflet is yuckily titled "Community News", just what do ASDA consider "community use" to be? Anything by a major multinational looking for profit? Most likely though I think it could end up as houses.

Interested to see what else is shown at the event tomorrow, or if this is the only look we're getting.

Marplemum

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2012, 04:18:36 PM »
Can I ask a simple question???

If an Asda is built on Hibbert Lane will all of the people who have voiced their opinions about not wanting an Asda boycot it if is built and still do all of their shopping in all of the other local shops (including the Co-op)?

What do you think?  I can hazzard a guess that most will use Asda rather than currently leaving town to shop at Morrisons.