Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: College and ASDA's Plans Revealed  (Read 54794 times)

amazon

Re: College and ASDA's Plans Revealed
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2012, 07:31:37 PM »
I Have just been and I have noticed that the roundabout will have 4 exits.   I was informed by Walmart that it was hoped that people would be expected to use Edwards Way down onto cross lane as a way back out of Marple   Are they crazy !
Walmart also say that there are no plans as yet for infer structure which I do not believe
Lots of people complaining about not knowing about the consultation and had only been alerted to it by MIA  :P

This roundabout is definitely one of the worst things about it. When coming to Asda from the west (from the direction of Rose Hill) then people will try to avoid going through two sets of lights and then over the mini roundabout at Hibbert Lane/Church Lane. They will either turn right on to Cross Lane and then go up Edwards Way or Buxton Lane or they will go up Church Lane and then onto Leigh Avenue then Edwards Way. Leigh Avenue is particularly difficult to get out of anyway because it intersetcs with the one-way Church Lane where people park their cars right opposite the junction on Church Lane and they also park very close to the end of Leigh Avenue leaving very little manoeuvring room.

When leaving Asda they will also try to avoid the centre by going down Edwards Way or Buxton Lane. Anyone who has tried to get out of Cross lane will know how busy that junction can be and it will only lead to more rat running through Throstle Grove or Rose Lane to get to The Drive.

I predict that anyone living on these roads will see a significant increase of traffic on them leading to greater risk for pedestrians, pets etc.

Things can be altered  .
A bit of a vague comment, how can things be altered ?
has it gone through planning or submitted . The junction I mean not the supermarket .

jethroh65

« Reply #76 on: July 06, 2012, 07:21:22 PM »
ps,  also told the store is likely to open between 8 and 10pm

The biggest hurdle they will have will be noise and light polution in the surrounding areas , this could stop the whole thing ( apparently )

Don't they have light pollution when the college is open evenings is there not large lights on the car park side.
A couple evening a year is slightly different from 7 days a week for 364 days a year, unless they are proposing to open on Xmas Day!!!!

jethroh65

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2012, 07:16:47 PM »
I Have just been and I have noticed that the roundabout will have 4 exits.   I was informed by Walmart that it was hoped that people would be expected to use Edwards Way down onto cross lane as a way back out of Marple   Are they crazy !
Walmart also say that there are no plans as yet for infer structure which I do not believe
Lots of people complaining about not knowing about the consultation and had only been alerted to it by MIA  :P

This roundabout is definitely one of the worst things about it. When coming to Asda from the west (from the direction of Rose Hill) then people will try to avoid going through two sets of lights and then over the mini roundabout at Hibbert Lane/Church Lane. They will either turn right on to Cross Lane and then go up Edwards Way or Buxton Lane or they will go up Church Lane and then onto Leigh Avenue then Edwards Way. Leigh Avenue is particularly difficult to get out of anyway because it intersetcs with the one-way Church Lane where people park their cars right opposite the junction on Church Lane and they also park very close to the end of Leigh Avenue leaving very little manoeuvring room.

When leaving Asda they will also try to avoid the centre by going down Edwards Way or Buxton Lane. Anyone who has tried to get out of Cross lane will know how busy that junction can be and it will only lead to more rat running through Throstle Grove or Rose Lane to get to The Drive.

I predict that anyone living on these roads will see a significant increase of traffic on them leading to greater risk for pedestrians, pets etc.

Things can be altered  .
A bit of a vague comment, how can things be altered ?

amazon

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2012, 07:15:50 PM »

The biggest hurdle they will have will be noise and light polution in the surrounding areas , this could stop the whole thing ( apparently )

Don't they have light pollution when the college is open evenings is there not large lights on the car park side.

amazon

« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »

Things can be altered  .

jethroh65

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »
I went to along today & living close to the college( Fir Road ) one of the concerns I had was the apparent lack of parking on the plans for the proposed Buxton Lane development.
If the New build goes ahead there will be only 30 additional extra car park spaces on Buxton Lane compared
to what is there now. Given that there are approximately 125-150 spaces on the Hibbert Lane campus, I asked where will all the students be parking, on Buxton Lane or the Woodville estate?
Answer: We are only allowed buy planning guidelines for certain ratio of pupil to car park spaces for  new builds.
Also the revamped Buxton Lane capacity for students will be the same as the present Buxton Lane & Hibbert Lane sites. At present the college has spare capacity for students, obviously they are hoping new facilities will attract more students.
The car parks on both sites are at present usually full.
The college representative although sympathetic to the problem I highlighted, suggested I speak to the authorities about, and maybe they can bring in permit parking for local residents!!!!!
For anyone who lives close to the college I imagine the open evening parking problems that happen now are what we expected to accept as the norm for our area on a daily basis.
I didn't bother speaking to the Walmart representatives who were obviously their generic rent a  planning hit squad, who probably were on their 5th planning assignment of the week !!!

Very good point. Why don't they make the old Peacefield school site into a car park with a footpath to the new college? The traffic on Cross Lane would probably still be the same, just the extra traffic past the college down Buxton Lane to the car park.
The Peacefield site has already been allocated for new housing, I think planning as already gone through?
Also your comment about the traffic on cross lane,  " just the extra traffic past the college down Buxton Lane to the Car Park". What about all the " Rat Run" traffic from or to avoid ASDA?

the rover

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »
I went to along today & living close to the college( Fir Road ) one of the concerns I had was the apparent lack of parking on the plans for the proposed Buxton Lane development.
If the New build goes ahead there will be only 30 additional extra car park spaces on Buxton Lane compared
to what is there now. Given that there are approximately 125-150 spaces on the Hibbert Lane campus, I asked where will all the students be parking, on Buxton Lane or the Woodville estate?
Answer: We are only allowed buy planning guidelines for certain ratio of pupil to car park spaces for  new builds.
Also the revamped Buxton Lane capacity for students will be the same as the present Buxton Lane & Hibbert Lane sites. At present the college has spare capacity for students, obviously they are hoping new facilities will attract more students.
The college representative although sympathetic to the problem I highlighted, suggested I speak to the authorities about, and maybe they can bring in permit parking for local residents!!!!!
For anyone who lives close to the college I imagine the open evening parking problems that happen now are what we expected to accept as the norm for our area on a daily basis.
I didn't bother speaking to the Walmart representatives who were obviously their generic rent a  planning hit squad, who probably were on their 5th planning assignment of the week !!!

Very good point. Why don't they make the old Peacefield school site into a car park with a footpath to the new college? The traffic on Cross Lane would probably still be the same, just the extra traffic past the college down Buxton Lane to the car park.

jethroh65

« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2012, 06:46:49 PM »

rsh

« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2012, 06:34:41 PM »

Very good points there, it is poor that the roundabout places Edwards Way on equal level with Hibbert Lane and the supermarket entrance, actively encouraging drivers to use it more as a cut-through. I don't know why they can't just widen the road slightly (onto ASDA's land) and provide staggered right-hand turn outs, rather than obstruct the entire flow of the road with a roundabout that everyone has to go around - no doubt just a supermarket ploy to get more people to turn into their car park.

If the roundabout does go ahead, ASDA should perhaps pay to make Edwards Way a 20mph zone and install some traffic-calming measures at the entrance to clearly mark it as a residential area and not a main cut-through (say a single low bump or a short patch of cobbles). Just an idea.

Have the college thought about traffic on Buxton Lane and Cross Lane too? How are all their buses going to get down there each morning and afternoon? They should maybe retain a bus layby up on Hibbert Lane for them.

Oh, and still no ASDA leaflets on Woodville Drive!

sooty2

« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2012, 06:08:33 PM »
Rover, What sort of a comparison is that? :(

Miss Marple

« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2012, 06:07:47 PM »
I live near to the Texaco (Co-op) and I don't hear any deliveries being made at all, even sat out in the garden on the very rare occasion it is not raining I still do not hear anything. I have neighbours who actually back onto the Texaco and they do not hear anything and they are only metres away.
There is concern from residents around the Coop at present MIA have  had complaints about deliveries around 4 am. Residents complain that there sleep is disturbed and Coop do not answer their letters or complaints.  Residents say that there are   Trucks arriving and having to keep engines running   due to refrigeration until order is signed in. 

the rover

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2012, 05:58:27 PM »
I live near to the Texaco (Co-op) and I don't hear any deliveries being made at all, even sat out in the garden on the very rare occasion it is not raining I still do not hear anything. I have neighbours who actually back onto the Texaco and they do not hear anything and they are only metres away.

Miss Marple

« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
When I was there people were just walking around and leaving, interaction was not really encouraged.  There were three employees walking around as if they were members of the public, pointing at things saying how great it looked, sadly for them I recognised them, so there game was over.  The  whole experience was a farce.   Everyone I asked could not answer my questions about leaflets , alerting the public , noise and light pollution, or house devaluation.  I was although informed that the sports hall and youth centre was to be re located to Buxton Lane.  When I pointed out that it is not CAMSFC to decide that as it's joint owned I was told that the council said they could re locate it  :-\.   When I objected I was informed that I could suggest that a youth club or community sports hall could be put on the Green Space on Hibbert Lane site?  I thought they could not build on there, so what if a Mac Donalds was suggested ? 
I pointed out  Edwards way having lots of elderly residents and young children was not really a good idea as a road out of the supermarket and that Cross lane was a nightmare to get out of without increased traffic, they appeared not to be bothered and could only say that their noise levels would be in line with policy.
I asked if the community could object if noise levels were high, the reply was that deliverys would be made at night  ???  Hello Walmart are we on the same planet ?

Rachael

« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2012, 04:35:34 PM »

Rachael

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »
I spoke to a Man from Asda , who reckons that it should be here by 2015 if planning is approved .  Applications will be going through in September at the earliest .

Apparently the land will not be land banked if planning is not approved .

The college are leading the way on desicions , definately no building work  for the new store untill the new college is finished .

At 4.pm I was told that they had had  approximately 200 visitors today , and speaking with other residents of Marple at the college today, the handful I spoke to , had had a U turn over their decision about Asda coming to Marple and thought it was a good thing.

Also I was told by someone from Asda today, that if Waitrose do get the sorting office, this will not deter Asda, they will still go ahead with the application .

Sorry if this info has been posted elsewhere