Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: MIA political bias?  (Read 17202 times)

Dave

Re: MIA political bias?
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 06:23:12 PM »
Ah yes, UKIP. Isn't that what we used to call the Monster Raving Loony Party ;-)

Duke Fame

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
I see that the latest addition to the MIA website states that Ray Jones, the UKIP candidate in the local election, supports the "Say NO to Asda" campaign.

Not according to the leaflet pushed through my door today he doesn't.

He specifically states that he supports the 'Say no to TESCO' campaign.

Perhaps he knows something that MIA don't. Or perhaps he's just out of touch.

He's UKIP Harry, he'll say no to everything and anything. He probably hates both of them as much as each other so it doesn't really matter what he puts on his leaflet.

I'm sure he'd say Yes to Aldi, Lidl or Carrefour

Very good HWL. UKIP actually have some excellent policies

Henry_

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 09:54:54 AM »
I see that the latest addition to the MIA website states that Ray Jones, the UKIP candidate in the local election, supports the "Say NO to Asda" campaign.

He's UKIP Harry, he'll say no to everything and anything. He probably hates both of them as much as each other so it doesn't really matter what he puts on his leaflet.
I'm sure he'd say Yes to Aldi, Lidl or Carrefour

simonesaffron

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 09:54:23 PM »

Harry

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 09:10:53 PM »

Miss Marple

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »
New additions were added in 1993

Heritage

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 06:22:59 PM »
Whether there was an educational covenant on a piece of land wouldn't make any difference anyhow - legal mechanisms can be employed to modify or lift such a covenant if it is in the interests of a new context which was unforeseen at the time of the original [and very old] covenant.

There is no land for sale on Hibbert Lane.

Duke Fame

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 11:30:27 AM »
Some confusion here, I think!  Miss M is no doubt right to point out that Cllr Candler is 'opposed to the land being used for anything other than educational purposes.'  However, he can hardly claim that he is 'not against the college' while at the same time he is opposing their plans, can he! 

I guess it's a fairly typical politician's position, especially at election time - facing all possible ways in order to pick up all possible votes!   ::)

There's no confusion on my part, I understand Cllr Candler's view perfectly. He believes that the Hibbert Lane campus should be used for education purposes as it was intended when it was gifted in 1992. The alleged confusion is being caused by posters on this website for the sake of their own agenda. However, I won't labour the point any more.

I do agree with the point you make about "facing all possible ways" to collect votes but that's politicians for you.     

I do agree that the supermarket development should not go ahead. The fact the land was gifted for education purposes could be argued that the sale of the land does help education in Marple.

simonesaffron

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »
Some confusion here, I think!  Miss M is no doubt right to point out that Cllr Candler is 'opposed to the land being used for anything other than educational purposes.'  However, he can hardly claim that he is 'not against the college' while at the same time he is opposing their plans, can he! 

I guess it's a fairly typical politician's position, especially at election time - facing all possible ways in order to pick up all possible votes!   ::)

There's no confusion on my part, I understand Cllr Candler's view perfectly. He believes that the Hibbert Lane campus should be used for education purposes as it was intended when it was gifted in 1992. The alleged confusion is being caused by posters on this website for the sake of their own agenda. However, I won't labour the point any more.

I do agree with the point you make about "facing all possible ways" to collect votes but that's politicians for you.     

davedap

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 01:34:50 AM »
Post removed. Howard.

Dave

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »

simonesaffron

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
Dave,

What Miss M is saying is accurate.

From a face to face conversation I had with Cllr Martin some time ago he told me that he was opposed to the land being used for anything other than educational purposes. He is not against the College and neither does he think that his view will most certainly prevail. If it doesn't, he doesn't have the solution any more than the rest of us do, why should he have? I believe that he has been consistent in his view. He is entitled to a stance as everybody else is. With respect I think that we are all to quick to misrepesent Cllrs' views. Recently somebody posted ( I think it was you) ..."all Councillors had caved in to the demands of the No Campaign", whereas 3 of them AB,KD & SI have not uttered a word either pro or anti.

Perhaps you ahould take Miss M's advice and attend some of the meetings.

The situation is exascerbated by the fact that Cllrs won't post on THIS website so we are never really sure what their up to date views are but that doesn't mean that we should guess.

Dave

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
Indeed. As I said:  he opposes any plan to improve college facilities for his constituents.  It's almost unblievable - but it's true! 

Miss Marple

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 11:20:00 AM »
Have you not attended any of the meetings Dave ?   Cllr Candler is on the SMBC video at the  Buxton Lane meeting months ago saying the same.  To give the man credit he has always maintained that the site should stay for education . 

Dave

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 07:22:42 AM »

Dave, I think (no I know) that if you look into Councillor Candler statement/s properly instead of "reacting". In fact you could do something really radical and contact the Councillor, himself - he is very available; phone, email, surgeries and I personally am always seeing him around Marple.You will find that he strongly believes that the land was gifted in 1992 for "education purposes" and should remain as such. He is an ex Teacher/Head himself. Perhaps you are making an enemy out of somebody that is actually on your side. I don't actually know this for sure but I "think" that his preferred option would have been to work with the College so that a way around its financial difficulties could be found - but the College would not listen as they were set on selling the land.

Whilst you are posting copious emails on this site -why don't you just send ONE to:

cllr.martin.candler@stockport.gov.uk

Simone, I have already communicated with Cllr Candler on this very subject.  At that time his position was that the college should not sell the land to a supermarket, but now he appears to have hardened his position to one where he is opposed to any sale at all.

He may be an ex-teacher, but that does not mean he has a solution.  As far as I am aware, as an ex-college manager, the only way the college can improve its poor  quality estate at the moment, and for the foreseeable future, is by selling off some land.  if Cllr Candler has another solution then why doesn't he tell us what it is?