Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Marple Town Centre Yobs  (Read 8155 times)

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2004, 09:27:02 PM »
MCC always seem to do alot of good work with the very occassional member of the community offering to arrange meetings.  

Having read through the various issues I wonder how many use this forum as a sounding board but leave the nitty gritty to others, I hope your efforts will get the support from the registered users at least.

MCC Executive Committee

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2004, 12:41:35 PM »
The Council have created a new team within the Safer Stockport Partnership called the Anti Social Behaviour Action Team(ASBAT) - yes a mouthful I know.
Today I had a long chat with the team, they would be more than happy to attend a meeting here in Marple.
So I am going to organise a time, a place and publicity- to be announced when it's arranged.
The meeting will be about "What is going on?" and "What needs to be done?".
The main contributers will be YOURSELVES.

Any comments?

Adrian Taylor
 ':O'

alan@marple

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2004, 07:17:47 PM »
Dont be downhearted John, your idea is excellent, the sooner the community demonstrates it's determination to secure the well-being of our citizens, the better.

I would rather pay for extra police officers supported by the "specials" than look at pretty banners hanging from the lamp posts.

I do hope you can organise the meeting, I for one will attend

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2004, 03:00:43 PM »
We often pay for a service and then not receive it.  I am frequently asked to donate money to my children's school, even though funds should come from local and central taxation. I doubt if Christies Hospital would still exist if it were not for public donations, yet the NHS is a bottomless moneypit.

I would happily pay a little extra to have a police presence in Marple. It doesn't have to be the businesses that pay, its just that that is how they chose to do it in Wilmslow.

If each person in Marple donated 25p per month that would raise about £69,000 per year, or £1,300 per week, to pay overtime for a couple of police officers to patrol Marple on a weekend evening. Sounds reasonable. Its done as overtime in Wilmslow.

Of course not everyone would be willing to pay. I for one would happily pay 20 times that amount, or more, to help make the streets safer for people to walk, property not to be damaged and even maybe have glass in the bus shelters and phone boxes on a Sunday morning.

I'm not being negative or poo pooing your ideas, just offering an alternative. I'm more for prevention than victim support, we probably need both.

johnhoughton77

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2004, 02:02:31 PM »
Thanks for your reply Harry.

As you are aware it is impossible to please everybody and hard as some try, they cannot please anybody. A support group is not designed to create a bunch of vigilantes, but more a case of other people sharing / caring.

My thoughts were with those who maybe by themselves, easily intimidated or in the category of vulnerable.  Self help and community help is always going to bring people together,  but unfortunately you always get somebody who poo poo's every effort of others when it is well intentioned.

I have no problem with the youth in Marple or anyone else,  but my public spirit was to hold out a helping hand,  which is unfortunately lacking within this community and is more likely to result in it being thrown firmly in your face.

Maybe I should reconsider my offer as the only real reply I have received is in the negative.

I am sure that local businesses would love the idea of being levied even further for a service they should already  receive.

johnhoughton77

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2004, 10:00:50 AM »
Harry,

Thankyou for your comment, I was aiming more at those people who can view the board inorder to extract information, but a registered user can have access to the incident log as these people would be required to leave a valid e mail address with password protection, should it be proven that an undesirable is using this information details can then be tracked through IP addresses.

My thoughts are with those experiencing problems and security steps that  could be taken to give them the feeling of safety and not worry about other problems resulting from what they placed on a forum board, I am sure you will agree that safety and security is not only confined to the streets.

I notice that you have not commented on the offer of establishing a local support group.

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2004, 08:37:46 AM »
Could I suggest that any log on the site with regards this topic can only be viewed by registered users,  I just think that other wise offenders could use to there own ends

I think you will find that anybody, even undesirables, can register to use this site.

johnhoughton77

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2004, 08:20:38 AM »
I have had avery positive e mail with regards the possoibility of a public meeting in order to establish a community action/support group.  I will leave it to the relevant person to announce as things will need arranging.

Could I suggest that any log on the site with regards this topic can only be viewed by registered users,  I just think that other wise offenders could use to there own ends.

Thankyou.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2004, 08:11:41 PM »
I agree, a log for this kind of thing is a good idea. I was hoping to do a bit of re-structuring of the board this weekend - to get rid of some of the sections that are not well used and to add something along the lines of a crime log.

Unfortunately with the site being down nearly all weekend (see Steve's apology in the System Announcements) I've not been able to do so - I'll try to get it done this week.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Tricky

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2004, 07:42:43 PM »
I think alan@marple's idea for some sort of log for these incidents is a good idea..

Obviously - if there was a log it could be presented to the powers that be and, perhaps, the wardens could actually patrol the problem areas and not just nice quiet bits of the village, which is the only place I've seen them.
meh

useful

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2004, 02:32:26 PM »
I like the idea of a Local Action/Support Group for this problem and also for the noise every Friday & saturday night that some of us get when Kelly's Night club has closed.

Friday night I was kept up till 3.15am as three people, 1 woman & two men were shouting abuse at each other, the noise was bad enough but the words they were using was discusting, this started at 2am and went on & on.

Saturday night Noise again this time from 4 lads for about half an hour, but it was still enough to wake me & keep me a wake for awhile.

This was a quiet street till Kelly's opened and now it is a waste of time going to bed till about 3am.
I am not old but it makes me mad, how the people with young children feel about this noise etc every weekend, or the many old people on this street feel I don't know but I bet they are as mad about this as me.

I feel something needs to be done about this?.

johnhoughton77

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 12:53:38 PM »
It is a shame to see another Marple Resident leaving because of Yob Culture.  I do not believe that relocation is the answer as Marple is most certainly on of the better places to live despite recent events.

Why should law abiding people be driven away by a few with the strong posibility of relocating into an area that has the same or even worse social problems.

Could I suggest that people affected by these issues form a local action / support group (if not already existing), if nothing else it could provide moral support.

If enough are interested I will make an attempt to arrange a venue (maybe my house) and the tea with biscuits.

Drop me a line.

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 08:53:08 AM »
After living in Marple for around 2years now we have decided to move out. Its getting to be to rough and this proves it. I have had verbal abuse on Hollins lane too. Who is manning the camera's as they seem to be on an automated system to monitor spots for a while. I was on my way down to the Harlequinn on Monday night and there was a gang of around 7 lads all hanging about near the Natwest Bank. They were trying to damage the traffic lights facing hollins lane. When I came back from the Harlequinn they were in the middle of vandalising the phone box, banging on the barrier round the road works in the square and being rowdy. ALL THIS RIGHT UNDER THE CAMERA...Oh well I think I will move somewere safer like Wythenshawe.

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 08:36:10 AM »
The incident occured on Hollins Lane near the co-op.

Marple Town Centre Yobs
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2004, 06:25:27 PM »
Out of interest.

Just where in Marple did this assault take place?