All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: For the benefit of "Miss C"  (Read 1904 times)

alison

Re: For the benefit of "Miss C"
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:31:31 PM »
you read all 36 pages! Wow some kind of certificate is in order - even us seasoned professionals tended to lose concentration the longer that thread went on!

Alison

Miss C

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 09:40:01 PM »
No, it's fine, I wasn't offended, honestly and I did as I was told and read the 36 pages which served as a welcome distraction from Ray Wilkins' biased commentating on the City match last night ;)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 08:31:05 PM »
Waspish! It's like being scolded by your mother :D but if any offense was taken then I apologise.

I was simply and efficiently directing Miss C to the place where there are more words written on that particular topic than anywhere else.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss C

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 08:03:05 PM »
Thanks, that's kind of you :-) Although I did spend a v long time last night reading through the 36 pages of the 17 windows thread! Amidst all the bickering and point scoring, it was interesting to read about some of the history of the building. We moved here a few months ago and up until then had passed 17 windows on the way to work every day and never noticed it, I'm ashamed to say! I'll read the link- thanks; and yes, I've been told frequently that we will have to live here for about 100 years before we become accepted as locals! That aside, we are loving living here, it's a beautiful place.

My login is Henrietta

For the benefit of "Miss C"
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:06:08 AM »
I thought Mr Admin's reply to your query was rather waspish as you sound like a "new" Marple person and you asked a reasonable question so I thought I'd post this.

http://www.marplecivicsociety.org.uk/Dan%20Bank%20and%20Seventeen%20Windows%20pdf.pdf

Do have a look - it's very interesting. We were told at primary school that the seventeen windows were there to provide light for the 17 sons of the household for their weaving, in the days when weaving was done at home before the industrial revolution. I suspect that that might have been a rather romanticised version of the story! It hasn't had 17 windows since the 1940s but the name has long been a landmark in the Marple area eg when referring to "the traffic lights at "Seventeen Windows"

NB - Being a "new" Marple resident can actually mean you have lived in the village for any number of years. My father came to Marple in 1926 as a 7 year old and was told by an old school friend that he wasn't a real Marple person. This was in 1996 when Dad was 77 - almost an illegal immigrant!  ;)