Wealth Management | S&T Wealth provide portfolio & investment advice

Author Topic: Marple Carnival  (Read 9963 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Marple Carnival
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »
The carnival is on Sat 19th June 2010 its the 48th year !!!

Isn't it more than 48 years (well, 49 now)? Admittedly there was a hiatus between the current run of carnivals and the earlier ones but the history goes back beyond 1962.

As it says in the post you quote, it was 48 in 2010, 49 this year and it's the 50th anniversary next year of the revived carnival that started (or restarted) in 1962. There were carnivals before that but no clear records of which years. The earliest photo I've seen with a date on is 1905:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=34
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 03:34:49 AM »
Does anyone know anyone or knows of any organisation who can offer some entertainment in this years Carnival Parade.  Do you know a celebrity (must be hundreds in Marple) who could offer support.  It can be a good source for advertising your business, sports group or whatever.   If you have any ideas, post or send me a personal email
Bridget Forsyth - actress and former (fictional) girl friend to one of the "Likely Lads" used to live in Marple and may still do so (I haven' seen her in Mulligans lately)

There was a thread about this a few years back - 2004/2005 perhaps

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 03:12:07 AM »
The carnival is on Sat 19th June 2010 its the 48th year !!!

Isn't it more than 48 years (well, 49 now)? Admittedly there was a hiatus between the current run of carnivals and the earlier ones but the history goes back beyond 1962.

Duke Fame

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2011, 08:53:45 PM »
Love the Carnival but isn't it time we got rid of Carnival queen idea? History is a passion of mine and this is where beauty pageants belong.

?? Are you saying she wasn't very pretty? I don't think that's very nice.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2011, 08:34:38 PM »
This year's search for Carnival Royalty has been extended to the end of February. If you know any young girls who'd enjoy dressing up and being treated like a queen or princess for a day then here are the contact details: www.marple-uk.com/carnival
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »
Does anyone know anyone or knows of any organisation who can offer some entertainment in this years Carnival Parade.  Do you know a celebrity (must be hundreds in Marple) who could offer support.  It can be a good source for advertising your business, sports group or whatever.   If you have any ideas, post or send me a personal email

Rachael

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2010, 07:43:48 AM »
A beauty pageant in Marple, what a horrible idea :(  .. beauty is skin deep, the idea  made me think of those pageants they have for children in America .. they plaster their children in make up,  do all sorts of wrong things with their hair , its totally gross !

alan@marple

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2010, 01:07:53 AM »
It's about the innocence of childhood and community spirit and inolvement!...Misery

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 09:52:25 PM »
Love the Carnival but isn't it time we got rid of Carnival queen idea? History is a passion of mine and this is where beauty pageants belong.
I think you'll find that nowadays it's a little girl thing but even in the days that the carnival queen was an older teen it wasn't really a glamour-type contest. There were no bathing suits involved and it was more about personality and deportment.

Miss Marple

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 07:51:20 PM »
Take it you have just moved to the area ??? ;)

alan@marple

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 06:19:14 PM »
misery!

doc

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2010, 05:59:11 PM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 07:40:59 PM »
Have merged your message with others about the Carnival minx. I assume that you've seen the pictures of Victoria and others in the Virtual Tour?:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?pos=-4124
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

minx

Carnival 2010
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 07:31:12 PM »
I would just like to express my thanks to the Carnival Committee 2010 for all there hard work in hosting such a wonderful event.

My daughter thoroughly enjoyed her day as Carnival Queen and will remember the day for the rest of her life, as will I.

To think that this time last year the Carnival was at risk of ending due to lack of volunteers.

Well done and again many thanks to all involved.   

myloweb

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 10:01:39 PM »
Not having been to the carnival for many years, I was pleasently suprised what a fantastic effort everyone put in. It was great to see hundreds of people in the procession enjoying themselves and raising a few quid for their causes.
My personal favourate wasthe pipers.
Well done to all involved.

;D