Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Linked Events

• Remembrance - Memorial Park: November 13, 2011

Author Topic: Remembrance Service 13 November 2011  (Read 2426 times)

alan@marple

Re: Remembrance Service 13 November 2011
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:47:41 PM »
A fitting photographic tribute- thank you

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 07:49:45 PM »
A selection of photos taken by Ray Noble and Arthur Procter at Sunday's Remembrance Service has now been added to the Virtual Tour (not quite as quickly as I'd like but that's my fault, not theirs).

Thank you Ray and Arthur: http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-79
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

marpleexile

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
They stopped parading about 10/15 years ago IIRC. I think because a number of the Veterans were getting on a bit, and found the parade to be too much.

Now they have the service at the War Memorial instead.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
The Remembrance Service in Marple Memorial Park starts at 10.30am tomorrow.
Couldn't go today as not around. Do they still convene in the Park, parade up to All Saints and then back to the Park for the minutes silence as they did in my yoof? In the 1960s I was a Guide (5th Marple meeting at the Grove Chapel if anyone remembers me) and we used to have marching practice at the meeting on the previous Friday night and one year all the Guide companies in Marple got together at the old parish hall to be drilled by an elderly ex-RSM. It would probably be frowned on now but we thought it great fun.

In the early 1980s All Saints refused to host it - because it was (IIRC) considered it to be war-mongering - so it moved to The Willows school (now the college of infamous name). I moved away for a few years so I don't know if this continued for long.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Remembrance Service 13 November 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 11:05:58 PM »
The Remembrance Service in Marple Memorial Park starts at 10.30am tomorrow.

For the 2012 service see here: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=4711.0

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website